Nimbus Ventures Q factor?

Does anyone know what the Q factor is for the Nimbus venture 125mm cranks? I know I’m abusing the term Q factor here, what I mean is the amount of outward flare associated with the crank arm. I cannot find this information on unicycle.com’s website.

i think its veeery veeerry minimal.

im running them on my uni, but i cant ever report hitting my ankles on them.

Yeah, agreeing with Joker, if there is any at all, it’s nothing.

I have them on my 26 muni, I definitely notice my shin protection rubbing against the cranks and my frame more, I have moments on all my other unis, after getting used to riding moments, it doesn’t feel good to ride the ventures anymore :frowning:

Measuring flare precisely without removing the cranks is actually quite difficult, but my 125 Ventures seem to have about 2 mm of outward flare. If you are particularly concerned about ankle strikes they probably aren’t the best choice.

The Nimbus ISIS (not the nimbus ventures) have about the same Q (~10mm?)as the KH Moments, if you are looking for an option other than Moments. I think they only come in 150 and 165mm though.

The Ventures look to be pretty straight based on the pics online.

I’ve got 150’s, and my eyeball measurement is consistent with justtysen - I think there is a very slight outward flare.

+1
As compared to my moments, it’s basically nothing. I liked the idea of the lighter weight of the ventures because the strength of moments is really overkill for me, but I’ll probably go back to the moments for the Q factor. I’m considering drillling them to cut the weight (ventures are noticeably lighter).

Thanks for all the good info. I was looking for something that would be light and fast but a little stronger that the Qu-Ax lightweight cranks. It sounds like the Nimbus Ventures fit the bill.

165 Venture vs. 165 Spirit

After reading all the forum posts about Ventures being crap and KH cranks being superior, I finally got a pair of KH Spirit cranks (DH 137/165). So, here are my thoughts:

First of all, I’ve spent SO much time riding on the Ventures, I’m just used to them. The Spirits have a wider Q, and for me, this manifested itself in a greater ability to pivot left and right (which, depending on the situation, is a blessing or a curse). I assume that, because the Spirits are sticking out more, this contributes to greater side-to-side leverage. The unicycle.com website says “The straighter the crank the better for speed, the wider the better for ankle clearance and greater maneuverability.”

So, who doesn’t want more maneuverability? I use handle bars, and except for the steepest hills, I have both hands on the bar ends. Handlebars are, for me, a form of maneuverability. Adding the Q-factor of the Spirits, on my 26" mUni, seemed to make the unicycle too maneuverable. I think my style of riding involves less steering with the feet / more steering with the hands.

A couple other issues: I already tend to “hug” the cranks; maybe this implies that my natural stance is more suited to narrower-Q. Also, my foot position is straight / bordering on toe-in. Toe-out riders may not like Ventures, because they’re likely to step on the side of the cranks during the pedal stroke.

For the time being, 165 Ventures seem to be a better fit for me. I’m not convinced by my own logic, though, because of being so accustomed to the Ventures. It frequently takes a sustained period of struggle prior to learning what is “superior”.

Recent switch from Pro-127 to Venture 125 cranks

Apropos topic! I just switched the cranks on my Nimbus 29er (with a Maxxis Hookworm 2.5 tire) from Pro-127s, which had a very noticeable Q factor to the Venture 125s, which have virtually no discernible Q factor. Yes, I did notice a slightly higher challenge in making turns as tightly as before the change. And I also noticed the crown of the road surface a little more than before.

On the positive side, I feel like my seat got more comfortable. I’ve been out with the ventures on three mornings in a row and each of these mornings have been longer and slightly faster rides than any of the rides before the switch. At the end of these rides, I feel much more comfortable in my seat. Hill climbs seem to be more steady, too.

I feel like it has to do with the lower Q factor value with the Ventures. I am only riding on the road, though. If I were to do any off-road riding, I’d be tempted to go back to the Pro-127s.

Someone mentioned that narrower Q more closely replicates the posture of running and walking. Off the top of my head, I assumed that wider Q would feel better on the seat, because somehow you’d be spreading out your inner thighs, thus avoiding chafing on the seat. ???

That’s what surprised me, too. I find, however, that the lower Q factor makes for more lasting comfort in the saddle.

I had a thought…with the extra leverage of wide cranks, unevenness in the pedal stroke causes the seat to push to the left or right against the inner thighs. By contrast, the narrower cranks provide less leverage to the left and right. Good technique might help a rider avoid this type of chafing…more easily accomplished on narrow cranks, but still doable on a wider setup.

Depending on the size of your thighs you will still chafe…
I don’t use it without chafing gel anymore, just to be safe :smiley:

From UDC website regarding Venture 2 cranks:

Q-Factor: Almost Zero Q-factor - This is the amount a crank bends outwards. Zero means it doesn’t lean outwards at all. The straighter the crank the better for speed, the wider the better for ankle clearance and greater maneuverability.