Nimbus Nightrider 36ers are in!!!!

This is definitely THE 36er to get if you don’t have one yet.

I think UDC forgot to provide a drop-down box for seatpost selection.
http://www.unicycle.com/shopping/shopexd.asp?id=1191

I think the seat post selection is tied in with Handle Option.
You can select:
T7 Handle with Rail-Type Seat Post
or
Standard Seat Post - No T7 Handle

The rail type seatpost won’t fit on the saddle without the T7 (or an adaptor)
It is not easy to fit a standard seatpost to a T7 handle.

jim

rounded corners where the two handles meet the crossbar.

Well! A Seatpost Size drop-down box has appeared since this morning.

It doesn’t look like the plate breakage problem on the T7 has been addressed.

Wow!:stuck_out_tongue: That looks so damn good, I definately need one of these! Unfortunately they’re not available yet in europe. I keep checking every day, it seems to be the ideal unicycle for the rather flat terrain over here in Holland.

My KH29 is not even four months old, but… it really got me interested in 36ers for long distance riding… Or should I rather save up for a KH/Schlumpf hub and put it in my 29er? That would be more versatile but soooo f*#%ing expensive (plus I couldn’t join the 36er club).

I think I would like to have a different kind of touring handle than the T7, one that coud be fixed to the KH rail adaptor, cause this one really looks strange and heavy. Since I use a camelbak, the bottleholders wouldn’t be necessary anyways.

get the T7

what I really wanted to say is that I’ve figured out partly why the Nightrider tire is a decent amount lighter:

what exactly makes the new Nimbuses better than the new Cokers?

for that matter, what makes the Coker V2 better than the New Big One?

Well from what I can tell, the new Nimbus 36" unicycles are better than the Cokers in that they have the same amount of spokes as normal. The Coker V2 has the first Aluminium 36" frame that I know of, but it is very ugly looking and they foolishly put more spokes than 36 on their wheels, making it unattractive for anyone who doesn’t want unnecessary weight, or someone who wants to customise with interchangeable parts (unicycle.com hubs and rims have 36 holes).

I haven’t tried the new rim yet but I got the Nimbus Nightrider tire already. It seems odd to me that there is so much grip on it when it is described as being designed with touring and commuter cyclists in mind. Seems like they are trying to please both the offroad and the road unicyclists with one tire. Seems OK so far.

I agree with Tholub. The new T7 handle appears like there is very little improvement apart from visual. There doesn’t seem to be anything stronger where the weak point is, I think they should either reinforce it or make the plate thicker. It has so much weight a little bit more wouldn’t hurt if it served a purpose (making the handle able to take a few falls and be used for leverage to get you out of your seat). I’m quite disappointed- I had hoped that the people who broke their old T7’s would contribute to the design of the new one.

Has anyone had problems with the Kris Holm seatpost twisting at the top? It is two peices of aluminium, similar to a Phillips rail seatpost that I had. The top peice was just press fitted into the bottom and it could not handle the leverage applied to it with the T7, so eventually I got a Thomson which is much better. I notice that the new Nimbus unicycles are wearing the KH post without the option of the Thomson upgrade. Is the KH one really good? It is far cheaper than the Thomson.

I hope they make a T7 version 3 which has some actual improvements to their initial flaws soon. Good riddance to the old rusty steel Coker rims!

My KH post started twisting like that after a few months but UDC replaced it for me at no cost.

A lot has been said about people being upset that the T7 wasn’t reinforced, as far as I know only one has broken and it was relatively recently.

Nightrider Upgrading

U.D.C. let me upgrade to the Rockwerks seat post for an additional $12.00 when i ordered my Nightrider pro 36". I upgraded pedals and seat clamp also. It’ll be here monday…cant freakin wait!! :stuck_out_tongue:

I posted a thread about my T7 handle breaking, and 2 people posted saying theirs broke in exactly the same place and one person said theirs was ready to break. The handle only came out relatively recently- and being designed for long distance I think they should last longer than 1000km without treating it as fragile. If it breaks repeatedly in the same place I think that justifies strengthening in the next design- what a shame it isn’t improved on the new one.

I had my Phillips seatpost replaced at no cost but the replacement did exactly the same thing, and they said I could only get one free replacement. One day I might get someone to weld the aluminium together so I can have a spare rails seatpost. Unless the seat is down so low that the seat clamp holds the top of it, the twisting can be quite an annoying problem. I wonder if anyone else has had problems with the KH seatpost twisting- maybe they could be made with the aluminium welded together to save us from having to do it ourselves.

T7 handle

You cannot see from the photos on the UDC site but the offending corners are now chamfered. They are cut off and a small plate welded across them.

Ah, that’s a much less dramatic change than I was imagining! I had heard rumours the handle would be actually curved. As it is, it’s not that much different to my T7s, so I don’t feel bad about it :slight_smile:

This is a common problem on some batches, just drill a hole through the post just below the top and stick a bolt through, problem solved. Yes I know it’s not ideal, and that products should work wihtout fettling, but it’s a cheaper solution than getting a thopmson.

It’s too bad we have to get this kind of info from secondary sources such as this forum. I think UDC’s description of the “new” T7 should describe what was fixed. Are they afraid to admit that something was wrong with the old ones?

http://www.unicycle.com/Shopping/shopexd.asp?id=973

where can you get a Thomson?

And if the new Nimbus Nightrider Pro 36 comes with the “new” T7 handle, UDC should state that on the product web page.

http://www.unicycle.com/shopping/shopexd.asp?id=1191

I tend to be suspicious that they’re still unloading their stock of “old” T7 handles (as they did with the Airfoil rims).

I just did the math and you could get the whole uni at $595 (the standerd UDC price w/o any additions) with the T7 (which doesn’t come standard on UDC) and Tom Miller’s superlight coker spokes if you built up the uni by your self (well you do have pay extra shipping for the spokes but that’s probably only $5/$10)

EDIT:This is assuming that you can build up a wheel and not pay anyone to do that for you