Nimbus municycle - 24" or 26"

What should I get? A 24" Nimbus or a 26" Nimbus. I am beginner munier, but I have riden on a unicycle confidently for about a year and a quarter.

24"?

From what I hear, the 24" is more flexible in it’s capability for different types of riding… At least i hope so, my Nimbus 24" is coming tomorrow :wink:

I’d say get the 24". My dad said that he lost a lot of power when he used the 26".

Has he tried both?

• a 24" with a 3" tyre like a Gazz or Contra is almost as big as most 26"-ers (though a 26" witha big tyre will be bigger by a similar amount)

• I’ve got a 24x3 muni- it’s an excellent machine

• for drops, a 24" rim should be stronger than a 26", though this may not be that relevant on a nimbus as the cranks/hub will probably go before the rim

• for technical stuff like riding obstacles, the smaller 24" should be better, a bigger 26" should be better for cross country riding due to it’s slightly higher speed (though cross country is the main type of muni I do, and the 24x3 is good for it)

I can’t really say which is best though, as I’ve never ridden a 26"

If it’s for riding trails, get the 26". Better over bumps, and faster. If it’s a 24 x 3, that’s practically a 26" anyway, so same difference. The 3" tires are heavy. They can handle just about anything, but you pay a penalty in weight.

I’m getting a 24" Nimbus unicycle tonight then. :smiley: Yay! My first municycle!

I see that the 26’’ comes with 170mm cranks and the 24’’ has 152’s, does this mean that they have similar gearing? not that it matters much as cranks are easily interchangeable, but does anyone ride a nimbus 26’’ with 152’s or smaller, as it does seem that this sort of set up would make for a great fast cross country machine.

Matt

I just got a Nimbus 24 Muni. I was curious about the above statement, so I measured the diameter of the tire, It was 24". Can someone explain to me what If it’s a 24 x 3, that’s practically a 26" anyway, so same difference. means

a 24 x 3 is ‘beefier’ than a 26 x 2.6 and so is not that far off the size of the 26, unless you get a 3" 26, is what i gathered from the thread. i think poeple are saying get the 24" because its more versatile and doesnt make too much difference over distance/XC riding.
sory if that doesnt make sense…i’ll shut up now

a 24x3 is a 24" rim with a 3" tyre and generally will be of almost the same diameter as a 26" rim with a normal tyre.

I just measured my 24X3 and the tyre diameter came out at 25".

Unicycle rims bear little relationship to their stated size, for example a 24" rim is actually only a little over 20"; I think the size may refer to the diameter with a typical tyre.

This would be in agreement with the fact that your uni comes out at around 24".

24" vs 26"

Do yourself a favor and stick with your plan to get the 24" MUni. I do have both, and reach for the 24" nine times out of ten. It’s just better for most of the fun stuff that we do with our MUni’s. It won’t get you across country quite as quickly, but in just about every other way is more versatile and easier to deal with.

When you get good and break your cranks and/or hub, re-lace it with a KH hub and you’ll be good to go forever if you’re a normal person. My 2 cents worth.:smiley:

24" Has been ordered

Last night I ordered the Nimbus 24" municycle! Hopefully it will come soon, I can’t wait to start muni-ing.

damn it i wish i had seen this post earlier! I would of said go for the qu-ax muni it’s £10 more then the nimbus but it’s splined!!! you may not think you need it now but for £10 you get much more for your money!you have to ring up to get one of these tho i am sooooooo sorry i dnt reply sooner!
Ben

It’s to late now but is the qu-ax at unicycle.uk.com because that’s were I’m getting my uni from.

yeah kind of it’s on www.municycle.com but if you phone up unicycle.uk.com you can get it through them!
Ben

Ok, I am quite happy with the Nimbus I ordered. I will probably upgrade the cranks when I bust them. All I have to do now is wait for my uni to come. I can’t wait.

yeah the nimbus is a great uni good luck if you want i am sure roger might change the uni dnno sorry i did not read sooner

Re: Nimbus municycle - 24" or 26"

On Wed, 2 Jun 2004 03:09:20 -0500, “thinuniking” wrote:

>damn it i wish i had seen this post earlier! I would of said go for the
>qu-ax muni it’s £10 more then the nimbus but it’s splined!!! you may
>not think you need it now but for £10 you get much more for your
>money!you have to ring up to get one of these tho i am sooooooo sorry i
>dnt reply sooner!

But the Qu-ax has the ankle-bashing sticking-out bits at the hub. I
rode one recently and thoroughly disenjoyed those parts of it!

Klaas Bil - Newsgroup Addict

be sure to remove the saddle and simply sit on the seat post. this is far more comfortable - tennisgh22 on the comfort of Savage unis

what??? i have 2 and have never hit my ankles do you have massive ankles or something!!! i will take a picture 2day i cant c anywhere 2 hit ur ankles!!
Ben