Nimbus Muni - 24" or 26"?

We’ll see, the proof is the pudding so to speak. I’m not interesting in going 25 mph on a geared 36er (13-15mph is just fine for me on my ungeared 36er). I’m more interesting pushing the possibilities for long MUni epics on my 24" (which is what I have and what I’m used to riding). It could be all a big bust but I’m wagering it won’t be. I need to read more about what others have done with their 24" gunis. I’ll be blazing my own KH24 guni trail really soon…

Got back on the 24" muni for the first time in a couple months and had a blast! More nimble than my 26", so I was better able to clean some obstacles that were tough on the 26", however, I also failed to clean some downed trees that I’d previously done on the 26.

I think I’ll keep them both, use the 26" when I want some more speed, rolling terrain, etc…, then choose the 24 for high tech when I ride with the kids. I do find that my 26 outclimbs the 24 on mellower stuff, but if I need to climb while weaving around rocks and roots, then the 24 is slightly better.

If I have to climb up and over roots and rocks without hopping, then the 26 is better. If there’s hopping, then the 24 is best. For downhill I felt a little more secure on the 24, might be wheel size or center of gravity, or maybe even a stiffer tire sidewall.

Both are outfitted with 3" DH tires, the 26 has 165 Moments cranks and the Duro Leopard, the 24 has 160 K1 cranks and the Intense DH.

Based on my experiences swapping back and forth between 24 and 26, if I were building a Guni, I think the 24" would be more versatile. The 26 is just a little too tall to crank tight turns, whereas the 24 is maybe a little twitchier at high speeds. I think the 24 Guni would be more all around, a 26 Guni would be more light tech and XC. But if you think about it, if the 26 is only slightly faster than a 24, once you have a Guni the difference would remain small while having a a Guni by itself would be such a huge speed improvement that the 24 guni would certainly be enough wheel size for fast muni.

Sounds like either one would be great, I ordered the 26" and am waiting a week or so for a particular color to come in. I’m really looking forward to it! I’ll be sure to post some piccies and my initial thoughts when it comes in!

Thanks again everyone for so much great input!

I agree 24", 26" there are so closed to the same that you’re good either way. While I was out trail running the other day I starting thinking about this whole 24 vs. 26 debate. This is very similar to the current 26" vs 29" debate among the mtn bike crowd. (I own a fixed 29er myself; Surly Karate Monkey) In the end you’ll probably get used to what you ride regardless. The only way to really debate is if you have a chance to own both and ride both. If you only have one MUni be it a 24" or 26" you won’t know any better and, believe me, you’ll adapt and do just fine with what you have. It is just those of us who have ridden both, owned both, that have been able to compare and contrast.

Off topic content here
Anyhow I’m very excited. I’m only an hour away from FINALLY trying out my new KH24 GUni!!! It’s been months in the making (originally ordered the hub in November of last year) and just got the hub built into a brand new 2009 KH24 rim. I’ve got it in “road mode” right now with a Maxxis Hookworm (pictures later under the Schlumpf hub thread) just so I can get used to riding in over-drive and to get the hang of shifting on the fly. I hope by the end of summer to be proficient enough to throw on that MUni tire and hit the trails!

+1
On my first ride on the 26", it felt like it zapped all my skill and it was as if I was on my very first Muni ride. It wasn’t untill my 5th or 6th ride (over 3 wks) that I really started to feel at home.

I still didn’t have the guts to give a serious attempt scarry UPD stuff that I would have at least given a bunch of tries on my 24.