Nimbus II. Any thoughts?

Ride with some 40mm cranks for a while, and then what you have now will feel really long.

With 125mm cranks I could ride up a 25% grade one-footed.

Please, tell me where I can get 40mm cranks!

You’ll see that riding a 24" uni with 125mm cranks is awsome, just wait a little bit and you’ll get use to them.

Japan, or you can make your own.

60mm cranks are probably a much better idea, though. The difference is that they’re actually manageable:p

Haha, I knew I could get them in japan, I thought maybe there was somewhere else… anyway, I’ll make my own when I’ll be able too:)

I’ve actually gotten a LOT more comfortable on these 125’s in just the last day alone. I still may want to look in to 137’s though, just to make it a little easier on the steep grades. I don’t feel nearly as stable on these stubby cranks when I’m doing inclines. And I will still have the 125’s to put on whenever I want.

My friend let me try his MUni today, with 170’s on them, after I had been riding my 125’s for a good while. I felt like I was high stepping down the street! That and I couldnt get any kind of speed at all!

Anyways, I think I’m going to stick with these 125’s for a good while, get used to them, and then ride my friends 150’s before I make any crank decisions.

I just pulled my brand new Nimbus II out of my trunk, and the tire is completely flat! The weather was cool when I put it in there, so I know heat had nothing to do with it. The tire was also properly inflated. The inner tube actually blew out leaving a rather large hole. I think the tube must have been pinched when it was installed, because I got this thing just a few days ago, and havent done anything extreme on it. when I spun the tire while holding the uni (before it popped) I noticed a very small bulge in one spot, so I’m guessing that has to be the problem. Now I can’t ride!

Hahaha, did you actually just call 125mm cranks “stubby”?

https://www.mys-co.com/img/item/n/99.jpg

Just work on smooth pedaling.
Learn to ride seat in front using less and less of a grip on the seat. When you can hold it a full arm’s length away with your index finger and thumb, you can work on seatdrags. Pedaling smoothly uphill will cease to be an issue.

Since you have the hookworm tire, I’m assuming that you’re riding on relatively smooth terrain. Unless you need tons of leverage for rolling over huge bumps/down extremely steep slopes/through snow, 150mms are waaaay too much. It’s good to ride a variety, though. It will (maybe) improve your versatility as a rider.

My Nimbus II has 150mm cranks on it, actually…:o but it’s a snow uni:o

EDIT: To your second post: The bike shop will sell you a new inner tube for < $3

I think it should be free since they most likely installed it wrong.
I’m just worried about whether or not they will have it in stock. I didnt see anything in the shop that used this large of a tube! If I have to order it, I’m not riding my brand new uni for a week or so…
I might possibly be getting a 20in trials tomorrow though, so that should hold me over.

So you are bashing 150’s when you yourself have them!? tisk tisk :roll_eyes:
I have to say, the 125’s are really growing on me. I’m going to give them a chance, but there are some really steep grades in my neighborhood, so if I have a hard time doing those, even after some conditioning and practice, I’ll most likely step up.

I’ve even been known to ride with 165mm cranks on occasion :astonished:

89mm cranks are about my limit on a 24" wheel for riding up steep hills, and for 45 degree slopes or so my only hope (with slightly longer cranks, of course ;))is to bomb up them or resort to ‘pecking.’

Dingo,

I also had a tire blow out on a Nimbus. You can replace it with most any 24" inner tube that is not really tiny. Just inflate the inner tube first and let it sit overinflated for a few hours before installing it.

Scott

The bike shop ordered me a new tube, free of charge, and I’m buying a second one as a back up since its not a regularly stocked size. And I’ve got a set of red, sealed bearing Primo Tenderizer pedals on the way! Those should really set the cycle off!