Nimbus 36 vs. Coker 36

I didnt see any threads on comparing these two. Has anyone tried both, and what do you think about them as far as price, quality etc., if you have?

Well there are TWO cokers, plus the old one with the steel frame and steel wheel. There is also the radial! I love mine. frame is chromoly but same basic [frame] design as the big one. Solid ride, great airfoil rim and long wearing TA tire makes it smooth and quiet.

Yes. Could you be more specific please?

The Aluminium Coker big one would probably be a good alternative to the Nimbus 36". If I had to get a new frame I would even consider getting that.

The squid frame coker however…it would work better as a boat anchor :stuck_out_tongue:

Don’t sugar-coat it, Ken. Just say what you really think. :roll_eyes:

Hey, I’m still using my original steel Coker frame for RTL. The Triton project is on hold, and my new ISIS hub hasn’t arrived for a new wheelbuild. So I have nothing against Coker frames in general.

But that Squid thing is really heavy…I don’t see the point of all those extra tubes. If it was to make it different then they could at least have used some lighter tubing like the Nimbus.

Agreed.

I would go for the alu Coker frame also if I was going to change. That or the KH if it gets good reviews. I am pretty disappointed with how cheaply made the N36 looks.

Me too, even with the choice of a geared Nimbus 36 and a new Coker! My old Coker has all the right ingredients, including the narrow hub, which I think will work best for me in that event.

According to Coker, the V2 frame is lighter than the Nimbus frame. Which is kind of interesting as they are opposites in the stiffness department. Thin and elegant, the Nimbus frame is most sensitive in areas like brake adjustment. The V2 frame is probably the best one for anything that involves a lot of braking. Obviously it’s way stiffer than any of the other ones out there. It size may be an issue for some riders, though it didn’t bother me. Read my review in the new issue of On One Wheel from the USA Inc.

Further, the new Cokers presumably have pretty strong wheels due to their use of 48 spokes. This makes for an affordable source of a “stronger” wheel without having to go custom. The penalty is the extra weight of the additional 12 spokes & nipples, which is of course rotating weight. The alloy cranks are nice though, and probably more than make up for that weight difference over the older Cokers.

I wondered about the purpose of the squid-type frames. And it finally occurred to me that there is an advantage: You can lock the frame up.

Thanks for the reviews. It sounds like most agree that The Big One by Coker is worth the extra 34 dollars above the Nimbus Titan 36 on UDC?

“Please Note: price ($504.95) includes Coker’s flat rate shipping price.” The price of the N36 does not include shipping.

Otherwise, it’s $439.95 from coker cycles direct.

http://www.cokercycles.com/product.php?productid=12

rotating weight?

Is this different from nonrotating weight?

billy

not positive but i think rotational weight is in the wheel, no rotational is in the frame/seat and what ever else doesnt spin with the wheel

You will notice rotational weight more, especially when accelerating and decelerating.

Yes. Rotating weight takes more energy to accelerate/decelerate because it requires the normal input plus the extra to change the rotating speed. That’s wy bicyclists are always looking for ways to reduce rotating weight first. On a 36", the rotating weight is massive. Unfortunately, most of it is hard to change, with all 36" tires being in the “very heavy” category (yes, they are all very durable too). Rims are better, but still on the heavy side. At least I’ve gotten some alloy cranks in the sizes I want to use for RTL, and a pair of magnesium Wellgo pedals on order. Pedals are probably the most mass-sensitive part of any unicycle. Unfortunately I don’t think they’re going to make it to me by this weekend… :frowning:

thanks!

For rotating weight, in fact the important point is the inertia, so wieght is important but especially weight far for the hub axis, so, I’m not expert in 36" (yet), but I think tyre and rim weights are much more important than pedals weight.

Other points of view ?

Regards.

That is true, but it’s MUCH harder to do anything about your rim, spokes, tire and tube on a 36er than it is to get lighter pedals.

Would carbon wheels be the next step in the 36" evolution? And perhaps carbon cranks …