Nimbus 11

Hi I just started to learn idling, a week today, but the cheap £10 used uni I had, is not that good now, pedals are wobbling inside of thread, so could give way anytime soon.
I’ve just been onto unicycle.com. And seen a 20 inch nimbus ll with Isis cranks, with blue wheel for £165
I’m 15 stone, should I get this size ?
As I’m learning at moment to idil then learn riding backwards, so is this the right choice, before I place my order ?
Any feedback off you very experienced uni riders would be VERY appreciated. Cheers Roy.

I don’t think you can go wrong with that unicycle. For what you’re planning to do with it, I’m sure it will hold up just fine. I wouldn’t have any reservations about it.

can’t go wrong with that wheel. I have a nimbus X which is very similar. I don’t care how much you weigh… unless you’re an elephant, a 48 spoke, 20" wheel will hold ya just fine :wink:

Depending on how tall you are, a 20 or a 24 will be great for learning idling and backwards riding. A 20" is probably what most people would recommend. It’s a little lower to the ground, and idling is probably a little easier on a small wheel. The 24 will allow you to cruise a couple of blocks to a couple of miles easier than the small wheel. Both are great for learning. If you want to get into more advanced street or trials tricks, I would also consider a 19" trials wheel, but for most stuff I would stick with the standard 20" or 24".

Do I owe you a soda, or the other way round? . . .

Ha, ha! Great minds think alike! :wink: I guess technically I had you beat by a couple of minutes, but I’d buy a fellow unicyclist a drink any time! :slight_smile:

Given your body weight and the fact that you seem to be adding new skills pretty quickly, you should get something beefier than a Nimbus II, if you can afford it.

Check the trials unicycles available near you. The Qu-ax 19" looks great, but if you don’t want to spend that kind of money, the Nimbus trials unicycles are definitely good enough. Come springtime, you may end up wanting to ride down the stairs. For that, you’ll want something sturdy.

Depends on what he wants to do? If wheelwalk and then gliding is next on his list, a trials uni would be a terrible choice.

Idling on pavement will eat up a trials tire lickedy-split, especially at 15 stone. I know because I have done that. I would go with the nimbus ii, it’s a great uni for what you have in mind for it. But like juggleaddict said you may also consider a 24", it doesn’t make any of those skills harder and may be more fun riding around.

Nimbus

Cheers mate, brand new uni coming tomorrow Friday am, can’t wait.
As one I have (20 inch) is cheap rubbish really. Cost me £10 , 4 wks ago.
Also I have a quite old, 28 inch uni, with flat steel bar frame, and cotter pins in pedal arms, and seat not to curved or comfy, so will most probably get a new similar sized one, not sure which one, but not muni, more for cycle track paths or roads. I want to get very good at idling and riding backwards if I can, on this new uni coming tomorrow, then I can get a bigger size, as mentioned above. Then start to try idling etc etc on bigger one, transfering all my 20 inch skills to bigger uni. Really loving the challenge. Bloody hard though. Only been idling since last Wednesday, and managed 10 rocks, and completed a near 360 rocking. So don’t think I’m doing to bad, for a 50 year old, lol :smirk:

Interesting! Is that because slick tires are not available in 19" trials size? My uni has a trials frame, but a 20" wheel, and I never put knobby tires on it, mostly because of the dogshit question.

Since you mention it, my wheelwalking is now pretty smooth, but getting back onto the pedals still escapes me. I have watched several videos, including the one by Marcus Collings and a shorter one by Rachel Sindelar. If you have any tips, please let me know. Is it important to lean back slightly to make the transition?

Trials tires are made for grip on rock/wood/uneven surfaces, so I don’t know of any slicks. If you want something you can do hopping with later or street riding but still want a freestyle slick tire, I’d go with a 20" and put the Odyssey Chase Hawk on there. It comes in a 2.4, so it’s basically a trials width tire. I did notice though that when I swapped from a 2" tire down to a 1.5 freestyle tire, my freestyle skills wheel walk/gliding/one foot riding all got a benefit. The thin tire really pivots well at higher pressures.

Yes, I am currently on my second Odyssey Chase Hawk 2.45" x 20" tire, and will probably replace it with a third once it dies. Thanks for the tip about the narrower tire, though. Now that you mention it, I noticed a similar effect on a borrowed uni a few weeks ago, but at the time I thought it was just luck that I managed such long wheel walks on that narrow tire. My rim is 47mm wide, so I’m not sure how narrow I could go, and in any case, the occasional hop, drop or ride down the stairs is way too much fun to give up.

Higher pressures might be a good idea, though, and that’s another thing the Chase Hawk is good for. My rim has drill-outs, but can still handle over 70 psi before one of them blows through, or so I’m told.

I have a 26" Nimbus II, ride it 30 miles a week, on road, off road, over rocks, down stairs, etc. It’s a good uni for the price. Very sturdy. I’d say buy it.

I learned to idle and ride backwards on a 20". I can perform those skills, albeit more sloppily, on a bigger wheel, now. Personally, however, I still prefer idling and riding backwards on a 20".

Some riders posted that they wanted to learn idling (and hops) as a way of dealing with traffic stops. I suggest dismounting, walking, re-mounting. Better safe than sorry.

The probability of falling on your a** while riding backwards increases with wheel size, especially with grippy/pinned pedals.

Personally, learning techniques on the 20" just made me want to learn more techniques on the 20". Technical feats on larger wheels are impressive, for sure, but are, imo, somewhat of a novelty.