Nextie 36" carbon rim

Six units doesn’t sound at all unreasonable. What’s the price going to be?

1 Like

I agree with @toutestbon. I have had many issue trying to fit another inner tube into my carbon Braus rim (pinching a few tubes and damaging my NightRider Lite tire :frowning: ). When I switched to a Michelin Butyl Airstop 700x35-47, it became pretty easy to fit the tire onto the rim.

3 Likes

In Gpb Sterling they are just under £300 plus postage.

That doesn’t sound bad at all. Aren’t the hookless ones pretty close to that as it is?

I recently ordered one of these beauts (hasn’t shipped yet) and sent an e-mail asking if my specific order could be made “hooked”. Here is the response:

I’m sorry, but the 36-inch rims are now only available with the Hookless Version.
The NXT36XU42 rims are tubeless Compatible. It is no problem for you to run a tube or non-tube. Please feel free to let us know if there is any question.

That’s what they should have made in the first place. There are no tubeless 36er tires.

5 Likes

Not yet, but there has been talk about it for years and years.
But I think you make some good points in your Nightrider lite video to why Not run a tubeless setup.
The liquid will weigh just as much as a light tube.

Tried tubeless and the bead set solid and held 30psi over night so I decided to risk it…

I know people make these work but I am going to have to shelve the carbon rim for a while in hopes we get a tubeless tire in the future. I like to ride fast and it’s not worth the risk for me to have a blowout at speed

5 Likes

Well, that sucks!

I wonder if there’s any way to add a groove to it. Maybe using a dremel or die grinder with a round burr and a depth guide so that holding it against the edge of the rim would ensure a uniform distance from the edge?

1 Like

Why don’t you use the ghetto half tube setup? It never failed to me

+1 for the split tube method. My split tube setup holds rock solid, burped not even once

I haven’t heard of this can anyone shred some more light in this.

Here is one link that describes it pretty well.

If the tire fits tight on the rim and it is hard to install normally the split tube method would likely not work.

A ghetto tubeless setup is heavier than a 29" inner tube. If you really need to put preventive fluid, it can be put inside an inner tube with a removable shell.

3 Likes

Why’s this? Aren’t you using less than a full 29" inner tube for this because you cut the edges after installing? (I used about 75% of a 18" tube to make a 24" ghetto tubeless.) Or do you think it’s because of the milk?
On the other hand, tubeless is not all about weight, it’s also the tire’s dampening characteristics.

Are there any commercially available tires and tubes that are officially compatible with this hookless rim? I suspect not. I’m also not aware of any 36er Presta tube. Sure, there may be combinations that “work” but it sounds like Nextie (and Braus/Alchemist) have produced a rim for which there’s no tire and tube.

I guess not, but my setup with the Nextie rim, Vee Tire T-Monster and a stretched Schwalbe SV19 and ~45 psi seems to do just fine for nearly a month. I have only ridden it for 4-5 hours in total (10-15 degrees celcius outside temperature) and the rest of the time it has been stored in the basement at approx 20 degrees Celsius. So it’s a calm and not very punishing environment but due to how difficult it was to mount the tire on the rim I don’t believe a tire blowout is likely.

3 Likes

You are right, it is very pleasant to ride tubeless. My off-road unicycles (29" and G29) are tubeless.

In my opinion, the main advantages of tubeless are the possibility of riding at low pressure (without the risk of damaging the inner tube), the liquid that fills the small holes and the weight. For me, these arguments make a lot of sense off-road and much less sense on the road.

I might not say that if I hadn’t been using a 180g inner tube for years in my 36", without ever having had a problem. I remember going from the 36" tube (which weighs almost 500g) to the 29" tube (which weighs 180g), the difference in feel was incredible.

I have also done ghetto tubeless setups, with KH and M4O rims. When you can’t afford a real tubeless, it’s nice, but a classic tubeless setup is so much easier to do and maintain.

Isn’t the Nextie light enough to make a noticeable difference in performance without the need to risk a blowout with either a stretched 29er tube or ghetto tubeless? The vee tire 36er tube is pretty light and for me I wouldn’t be constantly worried about a blowout, especially on long rides or at high speed. And the $8.99 price is great. Backordered until 10.18 on this link though.

https://www.performancebike.com/vee-tire-co.-36-bike-unicycle-inner-tube-presta-2.25-40mm-bu0343/p-fqhvhefcxtqltqhe?v=536297

2 Likes

If I had known that Vee Tire makes a 220g 36" Presta tube I would of course have used that.

The Scwalbe SV19 is the exact same weight.

I was not aware that a 36" Presta tube existed. Thanks @UniGeezer. Will order soon…

1 Like