Nextie 36" carbon rim

For extra insight. I did check with them to see if they had any T-monsters.

You know, can’t hurt to ask!

Unfortunately we don’t have any Vee-Rubber T-Monster tires to sell.
The few (very few) in stock are already destined for our bikes.
We also buy carbon rims from BRAUS components and I don’t think they have any tires available right now.
Have you already tried asking them too?
I have currently purchased Qu-Ax King Geroge and Nimbus Nighrider which are still available.
They certainly don’t have a pattern like the T-Monster but I think to have VeeRubber will have to wait a while longer.

TRENTASEI’s website (in English) says they run at 1.1 / 1.5 atm (16 to 22psi) on their 36" bikes. Likely would not be a good indication of how they would work on a uni at much higher pressures.

2 Likes

I installed a Vee T-Monster on my hookless rim and rode ~8 miles of muni at approx. 21 psi with no issues other than being worried and scared. I only did that once. Then re-installed my NR Lite for brief road riding before giving up the wheel.

I absolutely cannot recommend the Nextie 36" (hooked or hookless) to anyone who is not willing to risk a catastrophic failure resulting in near-certain injury. Given the rim wall height (or severe lack thereof) I think it’s just a matter of time until other tires begin to fail.

4 Likes

TRENTSEI appears to make a variety of 36er bikes - low end to high end. They show photos of some carbon 36ers that are more road racers than anything and are fitted with Braus/T-Monsters. My guess is that they are running higher pressures than 22psi. I typically run around 30.

I would agree with JimT that the demands for a Unicycle wheel are far different than a 36er. I don’t know how you all stay up on the darn things. I am way too old to even get up on a Unicycle much less fall from one!

I will be ordering a set of Nextie Unicorn hooked version tomorrow. I emailed Alice with the request today. They will be shipped directly to the wheel builder. I will be cutting out my hubs from the Nimbus rim and shipping to the builder once they arrive. I have a used set of T-Monsters that I will be installing. I will post the outcome after I have 2-3 rides under my belt. I will most likely be running them at lower pressures around 30. If I had a spare set of new T-monsters I would experiment with higher pressures.
At least this will give some of you an idea if the T-Monsters are a viable option with these rims. Stay tuned.

Additionally I have been communicating with Vee tire and they have confirmed that the T-Monsters will be available again and that it will be sooner than Spring of 23. Finally some good news for once. That’s all I got!

5 Likes

How old is that?

3 Likes

Well, the italian 36pollici reach me to ask if I can answer you about my experience with the Braus rim and the KG ultimate and the Vee Monster too. Braus rim + Vee Tire match perfectly for a tubeless setup, so I cannot speak about high PSI riding. I prefer high seatpost, almost straight leg and have the tire dampening the road, instead of someone who prefer high PSI, leg bent and have the legs dampen road bumps. Everything seems perfect, but I never went over 40PSI (which are unridable for me).
About a KG ultimate (which is about the same as NRL) I had an issue, but it was not a burping at all: I cut tire’s sides in a pinch flat tubeless setup (I was running low PSI, the carcass was collapsing to increase grip, the carcass is thin, I weight a lot, I was pushing really hard)… so it was not related to a too high PSI issue. https://unicyclist.com/t/muni-front-or-rear/127553/14?u=vogelfrei80
This is my experience

1 Like

As young as you my friend.

I’m still running my nightrider lite at 25-30 psi with no issues on the hookless rim after two blowouts at higher pressure. I do have a Vee hanging in the garage i may try one day but i’m happy with the nightrider at low pressure for now.

Then why do consider yourself “too old” to ride a unicycle? Over the years I’ve received hundreds of emails from people who thought they were too old to learn to ride, but said that when they discovered I was as least as old as they were - in some cases a lot older - they decided to take up the sport. I always love hearing that! :+1:

6 Likes

I’d keep that quiet, or everyone might start asking to buy it!

Out testing the hooked Nextie on the road & gravel with 35psi. So far it seems solid but it’s hard to shake the thought of a blowoff at 12mph or going downhill! 35psi still feels decent and rolling resistance is still low. It’s a bit more sensitive to road camber, but not that much. Overall it’s been a nice ride…so far. :+1:

5 Likes

Appreciate the update. Hope you will continue to post your riding experiences. Gives me some reassurance after purchasing two Nextie hooked rims. yesterday! Looking forward to hearing from others once the T-Monsters are available.

1 Like

I finally figured out how to crack the 65 PSI barrier! I went to Home Depot and bought a can of spray foam insulation, and after taking the inner tube out I put the tire back on and filled it with the foam insulation which, because of its adhesive quality, locked the tire on to the rim. Then I inflated the rest of the tire the 120 PSI, and now it’s solid as a rock… Literally. Oh just one more thing…

April Fool’s! :smile:

6 Likes

Uh, I’ve been proposing that same kind of thing long before April 1st. :smile:

As I had a conversation with @mindbalance about higher pressure I tried increasing it to 55psi and went for a short 2,5km test ride. It obviously reduces rolling resistance and makes for a more nimble and twitchy ride. I will need to “adapt” to it for sure. Also the 117mm holes will likely feel more appropriate than the current 137mm holes in the crank.

Note this is the hookless Nextie rim (36h).
The Vee Tire T-Monster seems to still fit nice and evenly to the rim just as it does with lower pressure.

3 Likes

That stuff would not only ruin the rim and tire but would create the biggest mess when the tire blew off! Plus that stuff is toxic.

A bit of RTV sealant along the bead might work though. I’m not about to try it however as I think I can live with tire pressure in the 30 psi range.

Yep, me too, but 35psi is no problem so far. I’m not holding my breath for Nextie to manage to get a 36er tire made any time soon, but it apparently the T monster holds at 55psi on the hookless version. Just hoping I can snag at least a used one from someone. Btw, I saw your reply on my trading post wanted ad. We’ll see what comes of it.

So here’s my hooked Nextie with the T Monster installed and intially inflated to 44.5 psi. It’s holding so far but I’m still on edge thinking it’ll blow any second. After waiting an hour or so I will try to increase it to 55 psi.

Btw, while the tire was a bit harder to get onto the rim compared to the NR, I was still able to install it without levers. This could be due to the tire being used and might be slightly stretched out, but not sure. One thing is for sure, NR had blown off less than a minute after inflating it to 45 psi. With the T monster there were usual quick and loud pops as it seated to the rim during inflation.

7 Likes

I checked the specs on the Nextie rim, the NR and TM, and all are listed as 787mm. If this is true, how can Nextie claim that the BSD of the NR is too big, but the TM isn’t?

2 Likes