Nextie 36" carbon rim

Has anyone had success with the hookless Nextie rim at low pressure? Terry has had success at low pressure but I’m pretty sure that’s with the hooked rim.

Thanks a bunch for the information you provided. The builder of my 36er frame used Coker tires on my wheels and configured front fork and rear seat stay bridge clearance based on that set up. Unfortunately the NR tire is about 1/2" larger in diameter than the Coker so the clearance is way too tight. Not anyones fault - who would think there would be that much difference between tires. Builder was kind enough to send me 2 slightly used T-Monsters. I put Cokers on the wheels and the clearance is fine - thank God as it was an expensive frame. I hope the T-Monsters are a good fit as well since they will be lighter than the Cokers. Thinking about building up some Nexties. I will never ride the 36er for speed. Only ride on paved bike trails and roads. 40 PSI would be plenty of air and I would be satisfied going even lower. Basically the 36er is just for cruising - joy riding. Again, appreciate the information you provided. Happy to hear that you are satisfied with the Nextie for some applications. Maybe when the T-Monsters become available again that they will be able to handle the higher pressures needed for Unicyclists for on-road applications. Fingers crossed!

Since modding my rim (3 wraps of electrical tape across the whole rim bed) I’ve been riding at 35-38PSI on my NR Lite so far without sign of movement.

I’m still going to withhold judgement for now as to whether or not this mod was enough as I’ve only done around 20 miles on it, and not in particularly warm or sunny weather.

I still haven’t ridden in the ramping spring heat, but I’m a few hundred miles into the rim. I mostly ride on the road, but there are sections of grass and rutted pavement to cross. I can’t remember where I started, but 25 psi is where we are now, that can’t be much lower than initial. My best ever ride for time, speed, and ease was at even lower pressure. I don’t currently believe I do prefer higher pressure for road riding. It’s been great, I’ve leaned it over to ride in circles, gone off curbs, gone to top speed… I trust this good, hope-to-be-great setup.

1 Like

I have a hookless and rode NR Lite with no blow offs. I kept mine at 40psi or less and rode pavement as well as trail. I gotta say though I was nervous as a cat in a room full of rocking chairs. To me (at age 54) it’s just not worth the risk. I will probably end up selling my whole wheel.

2 Likes

I appreciate all the information regarding early experiences with the Nextie hooked rim. It seems our only hope of successfully running the Nextie CF rim (hooked or hookless) may rest on obtaining T-Monster tire(s) that are not available until the Spring of 23. Yikes.

I noticed in a couple threads that the T-Monster is working well with the hookless rim at fairly high PSI’s using a tube. I know this is a small sample size - the smallest actually! However, it does give me hope.

The guy that built my 36er frame is building up some Nextie CF hookless wheels and he is going to get back to me on how they are holding up. I made him aware of the issues reported in this thread. Not sure what tires he will be using but I know he is a fan of T-Monsters. More to come…

I have read the posts pertaining to VeeTires response to inquiries about T-Monster availability. It seems that they have backlogs of orders for other tires sizes that need to be addressed before the 36er tire. It also appears that the T-Monsters require more time and expense to produce than other size tires.

I sent an email today to VeeTire sales@veetireco.com alerting them to the pent up demand for their tire due to the recently released Nextie and Braus carbon rim releases. I encouraged them to read the Unicycle.com Nextie 36er forum so that they understand the current market and need for a more suitable tire than those available today. I doubt if my email will create any movement but figure it can’t hurt. I would encourage others to do the same. I think at this point that the T-Monster is our best hope when it comes to building a reliable carbon fiber 36er wheel that is stable at higher pressures.

5 Likes

Did you build a 36" wheel using the Exceed ti hub? Just curious how it performed with the narrow 60mm flange separation compared to the KH spirit hub at 75mm. Also, if you built the wheel using a Nextie 36 carbon rim.

"The only negative feedback we’ve received about the Unicorn is the possibility of the NightRider tires falling off. To pinpoint the problem, we purchased a NightRider tire for actual testing. When installing the tires, we found that the tires were mounted too easily, which is completely different from the installation feedback we have tested on other rims with other brands of tires. We have reasons to believe that the BSD of NightRider tire is unreasonable, which leads to the fact that a small number of customers fall off the tire when riding. "
That sounds like the opposite of the experience that me and other people have had, we didn’t find it went on too easily, in fact it was difficult to put on! Scapegoat the tire and take the blame off the rim. This testing that is spoken of, I don’t believe in it. It doesn’t exist!
The photo shows a rim with a tire on it and no spokes. It was not ridden, it was not tested. A video of 60+psi test has been requested and not provided- I’m still waiting.
That leads me to believe that this company is being misleading in rating the rim to 60psi when not having tested the available tires and selling them to people.

A small number of customers fall off the tire while riding…
Only a small number of people have these rims, and of those, a high percentage have had the tire come off. I thought when they rated it to 60 they must have tested it to higher than that and settled on a safe figure so putting 40 in didn’t seem excessive.
My unicycle exploded at 27km/h and my thumb healed after about a month.
I’m left with a built up expensive unicycle that is useless to me despite it being meant to be my main form of transport. I need to try again but I really hate foss tubes and don’t want them, and I didn’t like the shipping cost for the Vee Rubber tubes. I should try again with a stretched Schrader tube but I don’t really want to be a guinea pig for an exploding unicycle again, I should try just leaving it to sit without riding it perhaps. I think they should be doing more testing before shipping out rims to people who are trusting in them. Seeing the subsequent explosions happening, it justifies me in thinking that I should warn people using the review which they never published. Now I see they have published a 5 star review. DO NOT TRUST NEXTIE!

Yes I did Marc, I only used it for 140km, and it was a bit creaky from the start, like I didn’t get it fully tightened after the initial build, and it was quite a hassle to build apparently. It performed quite impressively, but I wanted more air in the tire than minimum. Exploding while riding is not the kind of unicycle I want, so I hope there is a company out there that will make non-exploding rims eventually. I do not trust a Nextie rim to keep a tire on. Also- when I told the bike mechanic who built my wheel, he spoke of a cyclist who got tubeless tires who had his wheel explode off the rim while riding and sustained injuries that put him off from riding, so perhaps tubeless rims are not a good idea.

I rate the performance of the Nextie 36" Unicorn tubeless rim: terrible.

4 Likes

As to avoid reading 800 replies. What’s the TLDR consensus on this rim? Good if you are running a tube in the hooked version?

Has the support from the company been good as well?

OK if you’re using the Vee T-monster. Tubed vs tubeless likely makes very little difference.

No point in using the hooked version as it makes no difference to how well tyres stay on the rim. As it also has a very slightly higher bead retention hump, it may be marginally better at stopping burping at low pressures when running tubeless, but nobody’s actually tested this.

Do not consider this rim (hooked or hookless) if you’re wanting to run a Nightrider tyre (Lite or regular) or other tyres using the same manufacturing (King George Ultimate, TA light etc.) unless you ride at pressures of (maximum) 35PSI or lower.
Although some people have had success running this tyre at a (slightly) higher pressure, due to blowoffs happening (reliably) in relatively cold environments at ~45PSI, 35PSI is the maximum I’m prepared to recommend.

The support from Nextie has been abysmal. They told us that they tested the NR Lite tyre on the hookless rim at 60PSI - all evidence leads to this being a lie.

The NR (and other similar tyres) have a BSD (bead seat diameter) that is a bit too large, and historically rims have been made to suit this. The Nextie rims have seemingly just been made to the ETRTO spec, which theoretically is fine, but realistically no tyres exist to suit (aside from possibly the T-Monster).

1 Like

My experience was that it was fine to put on, but not as tight as I’d have expected it to be considering the shallowness of the rim’s centre well. Definitely not difficult when compared to road bike or many modern tubeless compatible tyres.
Even after my rim tape mod (where I increased the diameter of all of the rim’s inner surface, including the well) I still didn’t have an issue mounting the NR Lite tyre by hand.

The Stealth II (dominator 36") rim has a deep well, and very tall sides which prevent this tyre from coming off.

It was OK for Nextie to say that the NR tyre was too large to start with, but then they produced a hooked rim that was meant to be designed to work with that tyre, and clearly it doesn’t.
They sold us on a lie.

The wire bead of the NR tyre will also stretch more than a modern kevlar bead tyre, which just makes the problem worse, especially with such a huge tyre.
I’ve seen an old Duro Wildlife Leopard bead stretch in hot weather to such an extent that it wouldn’t stay on the rim, and that’s was a 24" tyre!

After much reading and re-reading I am holding off on the Nextie purchase. I just installed the used T-Monsters on my 36er two wheeler (Nimbus Rim)and I guess that will have to do for the time being. I will wait for feedback next year when others have tried the Nextie/T-Monster combination. I see that someone started another thread asking for feedback on users of the Braus rim. Monitoring those responses as well. Maybe the Braus is a better option? As always, appreciate the time some of you have taken to give me your experiences.

1 Like

The T-monster has been used on the Nextie hookless rim by @Hammer.
(Nextie 36" carbon rim - #727 by Hammer)

I don’t think anyone’s mentioned any issues running that tyre on this rim yet.

That’s true … but I think that I’m the only one on this forum that have a Nextie(hookless)+T-Monster which makes for a very small sample size. But it’s true I have no issues and have ridden this @45psi and I had it stored @50psi overnight as an initial test before my initial ride.

Also note that above picture of my initial build with the rim is actually what Nextie choose to copy/paste to their page The Unicorn 36" Carbon Rim and Its Tire Fitted as an example. So there are not much evidence of successful unicycle use of the rim.

2 Likes

On a side note, did they ask you if they could use that image?

If not, I’d very much be telling them to sod off and stop using my IP to advertise their product.

It’s a shame that measuring the actual bead diameter of a tyre is quite difficult for the lay person as it would be super interesting to measure a load of tyres for conclusive numbers on their differences.

No.

Yes, I am aware of Hammer and his use of the Nextie Hookless and T-Monster. He is the only one that has offered insights on that combination on this forum. However, it does give me hope! Thanks Hammer. Are you using a tube with this combo or tubeless? Looks like you are using a tube. Presta? How was mounting the tire? How many miles on your unicycle thus far? Sorry for all questions. I am just a little obsessed with finding a lighter solution than what I have put on the bike. I have two wheels that I am dragging around.

James at Black Sheep Cycles is building up a set as we speak. I suggested that he check out this forum. He is a tubeless guy generally so I assume that is what he will be doing. I need to check back in with him. Not sure what tires he is using.

SV19 = Presta

I log my rides using Strava. So far 145km (~90 miles) on this rim/tire combo.

No problem, we are here to help each other :grinning:

1 Like

Does anyone know the BSD of the Coker button tread tire? I I was thinking about buying one since they are available, but from the info I could find online, they weigh a ton! Almost 2,200g or close to 5 lbs! If anyone owns this tire, let me know if this is an accurate weight.