Newby Learning Journal

Well, now that I’m getting the hang of this, I won’t do a day by day pracice entry. I’m going out whenever possible to just ride around. It’s just plain fun, and it’s the only way I’m going to get relaxed and comfortable on the wheel. I’ll keep up with this journal as I’m learning basic skills (free-mounting, figure 8’s and idling), and have specific practice sessions for those things. If you know of any tutorials/videos for the skills, I’d appreciate if you post them here!

People come and watch me when I’m riding with my daughter on her roller blades in the plaza. They’re all really encouraging. Besides being 10 tons of fun riding, I also feel like I’m getting a pretty good workout of my abs, lower back and legs.

More advice:

Free-mounting: The tire-grab was my most effective beginner mount. I learned it on a 24" wheel. Right now, you want a simple, easy mount to get you going.

Figure 8’s: It took me a while to turn smoothly. Later on I figured out that in order to ride straight, then make a turn, I would have to pedal faster during the turn. You might try that.

Idling: I recommend approaching it from two different angles. One, hold onto something and practice idling. Two, hold onto something and practice still stands. The idle is centered around the pedals in the 6:00 and 12:00 position, and the still-stands are in the 3:00 and 9:00 positions. Make sure to practice with the dominant and non-dominant feet. Later on, you’re going to have to ‘not’ hold onto anything while idling, because you have to let yourself pivot uncontrollably while learning to idle.

Good luck!