Newbie's son Uni's and daughter freemounts!

What a fantastic day. My 12 year old daughter can now freemount! :smiley: We went for a Uni ride to the school together and she said that she wanted to practice her freemount. I haven’t been asking her about it, because she has been having a difficult time. So after about an hour and half she could do it. On the way home we stopped three times and she freemounted two out of three. She’s officially an independent Uni girl now. She just had her 12th birthday, so I guess this is her birthday present to herself. She’s just beaming with pride- me too!

My son tried out his new Uni tonight. He actually practiced for a whole hour, which I thought was really good for a 5 year old.

When we started, he had a very difficult time just sitting on his unicycle, but after an hour he could mount it himself using our deck railing for support, ride (awkwardly gripping the railing) to the end and turn around by himself. He’s definitely crawling at this point.

He just asked me to write, “I really like riding my unicycle and I really appreciated that my dad gave me a unicycle”. -direct quote, what a son aye!

I made my own little progress today too. I successfully jumped a curb and hopped three out of four times. I have never tried hopping before, I just felt the urge to jump over the cracks in the road. Strange… but fun.

“Strange… but fun.”
u have such a way with words, sir!

good on the short people
i’m totally impressed with a five year old on a uni
keep us posted on his progress will u?

Re: Newbie’s son Uni’s and daughter freemounts!

Jason,

Congrats on the family progress. I’m curious how you “jumped a curve”. I am at the point now where I can hop, but I haven’t figured out how to get any height on it (no more than a couple inches). I can’t figure out how I will manage to jump up curbs.

Advice?

Lewis

Re: Re: Newbie’s son Uni’s and daughter freemounts!

When I started jumping up kerbs I had similar problems… I found a squishy tyre helped, and thrusting your weight downwards helps… push the uni down, it’ll bounce up, and go with it as it launches upwards.

It would take me ages, and a lot of effort, to get up kerbs to start with… I’d have to idle back and forth until I could start hopping, slowly hop sideways towards the kerb, then jump up, then jump around to regain my balance, until finally I could wobble onwards. Now I can do it much faster… not quite without stopping, but near as dammit!

Yes, I admit, I do sometimes shamelessly show off by jumping. Near where I live there’s a raised bit of pavement around a corner; if someone is walking the other way I ride up to it, jump on, go past them, then jump off again. Yeah… :slight_smile:

Phil, just me

Re: Newbie’s son Uni’s and daughter freemounts!

Animation wrote:

> Congrats on the family progress. I’m curious how you “jumped a curve”. I
> am at the point now where I can hop, but I haven’t figured out how to
> get any height on it (no more than a couple inches). I can’t figure out
> how I will manage to jump up curbs.
>

I jumped ‘off’ a high curb, not up one. Sorry for the confusion. It was
great though.

Jason

Congrats Jason.

I jumped up my first curb a couple days ago. For me, it was more a mental thing that anything else. I just had to psych myself up and go for it. I keep telling myself, No fear!

I also learned how to one foot idle. Again, I just went for it and everything fell into place.

I had taken about 2 weeks off of riding and when I came back to it, everything fell into place. It’s a nice feeling.

Wow I’m impressed I can nether ride 1 footed nor idle (getting close but not there yet) These things are way harder than hopping arround. Which I do alot. It took me a while to get a hang of getting any real height. I still dont concider myself to be a heigh jumper (Still arround a foot high or 3 feet sideways) Hopefully one day I’ll get the 2 foot mark :stuck_out_tongue: I really recomend reading Muniack.com I think that’s it but they have some awesome tips about how to this and jumping…

Chex

I found one foot idling to be extremely easy, it just took the courage to get my foot up on the frame and everything fell into place.

It’s muniac.com and yes there are some excellent articles there.