Newbie Questions

Well, not exactly a newbie.

I’m 48 years old and I’m considering buying a unicycle again.

When I was a kid, I rode one everywhere. I started on a Schwinn 20" and
learned all kinds of tricks. This was back in the '60s. Nobody had heard
of trials. Later, I started riding to swim practice at a pool several miles
away … so I got a uni with a larger wheel. I could cover some ground, but
it wasn’t as fun. (I did a number of those 30 mile hunger walks on my
unicycle – raked in the big bucks for that.)

Now I have a farm and 22 acres of pasture land and woods with some
interesting trails. It’s not enough land for mountain biking. Five minutes
and you’ve done a lap. But I’ve seen a trials unicycle at my LBS and it
looks like it might be just the ticket.

Now I’ve come to this newsgroup and to unicycle.com and I’m seeing “muni”
and references to 20" tires being for beginners, etc.

I need some guidance about what to get. I just want to have some fun
bombing around in my pasture and woods, but I want something durable. I
already know how to ride, however. Also, is it necessary to spend $700 or
more for a decent unicycle? What’s a good value? I don’t know anything
about any of the brands I’m seeing.

Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Bob C.

Re: Newbie Questions

“Robert Chambers” <technico@wctel.net> wrote in message
news:bpgb5m$6332$1@news3.infoave.net
> Well, not exactly a newbie.
>
> I’m 48 years old and I’m considering buying a unicycle again.
>
> When I was a kid, I rode one everywhere. I started on a Schwinn 20" and
> learned all kinds of tricks. This was back in the '60s. Nobody had heard
> of trials. Later, I started riding to swim practice at a pool several
miles
> away … so I got a uni with a larger wheel. I could cover some ground,
but
> it wasn’t as fun. (I did a number of those 30 mile hunger walks on my
> unicycle – raked in the big bucks for that.)
>
> Now I have a farm and 22 acres of pasture land and woods with some
> interesting trails. It’s not enough land for mountain biking. Five
minutes
> and you’ve done a lap. But I’ve seen a trials unicycle at my LBS and it
> looks like it might be just the ticket.
>
> Now I’ve come to this newsgroup and to unicycle.com and I’m seeing “muni”
> and references to 20" tires being for beginners, etc.
>
> I need some guidance about what to get. I just want to have some fun
> bombing around in my pasture and woods, but I want something durable. I
> already know how to ride, however. Also, is it necessary to spend $700 or
> more for a decent unicycle? What’s a good value? I don’t know anything
> about any of the brands I’m seeing.
>
> Any help will be appreciated.
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Bob C.
>

Oh … and one more thing. I never concerned myself with crank length when
I was a kid riding my unicycle. Now I’m a real serious road biker and I use
172.5 mm cranks on my road bike. What are the considerations for crank
length in unicycling?

Thanks,
Bob C.

Hey Bob,

To get into riding trails, go for either a Max Traction from unicycle.uk.com (unicycle.com may make one up or get one from the uk)- or some thing with at least a 24" wheel- anything smaller will be a nightmare over rough ground- with a large tyre. I use a 24x3.0, but 24x2.6 and 26" ones will do nicely!

For relatively rough ground, you could get away with 150mm cranks, tho 170mm are probably best for maximum power! Your minimum strength hub should be a Suzue one or the unicycle.com CrMo one, tho I use a Kris Holm splined one which is tough but not an extortionate price!

Kris Holm Velo seats are very comfy and have a great handle! And don’t forget studded pedals!
Hope this was helpful! :slight_smile:

Re: Newbie Questions

“one wheeled stallion”
<one.wheeled.stallion@NoEmail.Message.Poster.at.Unicyclist.com> wrote in
message
news:one.wheeled.stallion.x5t3i@NoEmail.Message.Poster.at.Unicyclist.com
>
> Hey Bob,
>
> To get into riding trails, go for either a Max Traction from
> unicycle.uk.com (unicycle.com may make one up or get one from the uk)-
> or some thing with at least a 24" wheel- anything smaller will be a
> nightmare over rough ground- with a large tyre. I use a 24x3.0, but
> 24x2.6 and 26" ones will do nicely!
>
> For relatively rough ground, you could get away with 150mm cranks, tho
> 170mm are probably best for maximum power! Your minimum strength hub
> should be a Suzue one or the unicycle.com CrMo one, tho I use a Kris
> Holm splined one which is tough but not an extortionate price!
>
> Kris Holm Velo seats are very comfy and have a great handle! And don’t
> forget studded pedals!
> Hope this was helpful! :slight_smile:
>
>
> –
> one wheeled stallion
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
> one wheeled stallion’s Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4832
> View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/28950
>
Indeed it was.

I’m looking at a Kris Holm model on unicycle.com.

Thanks,
Bob C.

Bob, Welcome back to the World of Unicycles! I am 40 years old, and have rode since I was 8 years old, so we have some similarities. All three of my daughters also ride. You will be amazed at the unicycles available today.
For Muni (Mountain Unicycling) I will suggest a Kris Holm KH24 or you could build your own. I chose the later, and I am very happy.
My uni is a KH24 wheelset ($250), 26" Yuni Frame ($40) [note: don’t worry about the mild difference in bracket size and bearing size, they will work, trust me, I ride one everyday], KH Seat ($45), and a regular seat post. In fact, I bought a used KH24 wheelset from another UnicyclistCommunityForum member for $150 and absolutely love my purchase. All my parts were purchased from Unicycle.com, with the exception of the used wheelset. Total investment in my Muni, $269.00 I feel like I stole it (thanks FrankA.)
If you ever make it to the Tennessee side of the Great Smoky Mountains, contact me. We’ll go for a ride. --chirokid–

here’s my suggestion:

buy a dx32 suzue hub wheelset from the wheelset section of unicycle.com, a Yuni 26" frame from the frames sections, 150mm torker crankarms, bulletproof pedals, and a kh seat (you have to get a seat post that will fit the yuni frame, so be sure to look that up). get a downhill tube, a gazzoladi or arrow 3" tire and you’re done. this will cost you about 350 USD and will last. its pretty close to what i ride and it works great for trials and trails.

Muni is a lot of fun, BUT I think you need a sufficient amount of trail to make it interesting. 5 minutes of MTB trail doesn’t sound like a lot to me. I suspect that if you limit yourself to this trail, you will eventually get bored with it after about a month. Even riding around on grass gets pretty old.

If you do trials-type stuff around your place, then you might be better off getting a trials-type uni instead of a Muni.

OTOH, if you can find some more trails outside your place, and don’t mind driving to them, then you wouldn’t get bored quickly with a Muni and you could ride those trails with it.

Or you could get a 29" or Coker, and then ride to the trail instead of driving there, and do some light off-road unicyling.

Re: Newbie Questions

On Wed, 19 Nov 2003 13:01:03 -0500, “Robert Chambers”
<technico@wctel.net> wrote:

>I need some guidance about what to get.

For MUni your best bet is a 24" wheel with a wide knobby tyre. If you
will do larger-than-small jumps and drops after getting used to riding
again, you’d best have a splined hub. A good choice would be the KH24
in standard configuration. I haven’t checked the current price but
it’s way lower than $700. Look at <www.unicycle.com> if you’re in the
US (are you?).

Crank length in unicycling: short for speed, long for control and
leverage. The range goes from less than 100 mm to about 170-180 mm.
Because of the 1:1 gear, you need long cranks for MUni. Most MUni
riders prefer around 170, but some go as short as 145 or even shorter.
Cranks are not that expensive so you can experiment. I say start long.
A splined hub, however, limits your choices; in that respect a
cotterless (square taper) hub is better.

Sidekick: why are you posting under two names?

Klaas Bil - Newsgroup Addict

“My butt has a crack in it , but I can still ride. - spyder”

Re: Newbie Questions

Thanks for all the replies. In answer to a few of the questions raised, yes
… 5 minutes of mtb trail won’t make for a whole lot of muni adventure.
However, I have miles and miles and miles of dirt, gravel and logging roads
just across the street and there are quite a variety of parks with trails
all around me. I live in a little paradise!

I posted under two names 'cuz I goofed on the first post. I didn’t mean to
put my JOHN HANCOCK out there quite so prominently. I don’t mean to be an
annonymous poster, but a little low key is nice.

Thanks for all the straight-forward answers. If someone made a newbie post
like mine in one of the BIcycle newsgroups, they’d get all kinds of useless
misinformation.

One last question … I presume there are clubs just like for bicycling
(though fewer members for sure). Any good websites with links for finding
out about ones in my area (Upstate area of South Carolina)?

Thanks again,
Bob C.

Re: Re: Newbie Questions

Bicyclist have one useless wheel, so it just goes hand in hand that they would also be full of useless information… sorry, I couldn’t help myself… :smiley:

I know of a couple of riders in the Charlotte and Hickory area of NC. Anywhere close to you? I am just across the mountains in East Tennessee.
GO FOR THE KH24!!! --chirokid–

Re: Newbie Questions

“chirokid” <chirokid@NoEmail.Message.Poster.at.Unicyclist.com> wrote in
message news:chirokid.x68ub@NoEmail.Message.Poster.at.Unicyclist.com
>
> psycholist wrote:
> > Thanks for all the straight-forward answers. If someone made a
> > newbie post
> > like mine in one of the BIcycle newsgroups, they’d get all kinds of
> > useless
> > misinformation.

>
> Bicyclist have one useless wheel, so it just goes hand in hand that they
> would also be full of useless information… sorry, I couldn’t help
> myself… :smiley:
> psycholist wrote:
> > *One last question … I presume there are clubs just like for
> > bicycling
> > (though fewer members for sure). Any good websites with links for
> > finding
> > out about ones in my area (Upstate area of South Carolina)
> > *
>
> I know of a couple of riders in the Charlotte and Hickory area of NC.
> Anywhere close to you? I am just across the mountains in East
> Tennessee.
> GO FOR THE KH24!!! --chirokid–
>

I’m a couple hours SW of Charlotte. I don’t know where Hickory is. I’m in
a very small rural town called Calhoun Falls. They already think I’m a
freak for riding around on my road bike in my roadie gear. Wait’ll they see
me bombing around the pasture on a unicycle.

Bob C.