Newbie fatigue

I’m a newbie and have gotten to the point where I can ride 50 straight meters pretty consistently, turn left the majority of the the time and turn right about 50% of the time. However, if i do longer runs (100 meters or more) fatigue kicks in pretty easily. I’m in good shape and ride single speed mountain bikes so I think I’m too tense and once I get more comfortable/relaxed things will get easier.

But any tips for helping with fatigue so I’m not spent after 100 meter? Maybe instead of trying to do as long of run as possible I should work on specific things next?

As you ride more and get more comfortable, you’ll start putting more weight on the seat and less weight on your legs. This is will help tremendously. I guess you can try focusing on that, but it will come naturally as you ride more.

This is the universal complaint of beginners. I have heard it described on the forum as “beginners inefficiency”. I suffered from it, and I think pretty much everybody suffers from it. Just take a lot of tiny breaks between each of your short rides. My understanding is that beginners use what are called “fast twitch” muscles to ride. These particular muscle fibers burn out quickly. At a certain point in your progress (assuming you persevere/keep practicing), your efficiency will improve, and you’ll be using the “slow twitch” fibers instead. At that point, you’ll be able to ride indefinite distances without tiring, and you’re soreness complaint will move from your legs to your groin area (and there are remedies for that, as well).

Keep practicing!

You might get more replies, but none of them will add much to skunkman’s - it’s all about getting weight on the saddle and off your legs. This is such a standard newbie problem - I think all of us have been through it - that it was obvious from the post title!

What are the remedies for pain in the groin area?

Yup, from your description all you need to do is sit the hell down. It’s normal to tense up your legs a lot as a new rider, so now you have to fight to relax. You could probably train yourself to do this by riding shorter distances but not dismounting. Instead, grab onto something and make sure your full weight is on the seat again. Do the same before you start riding. Keep stopping and reminding yourself to be sitting, and your body will figure out it doesn’t need to burn so much energy.

Unfortunately those remedies aren’t as easy, and there’s still trial and error, and some alchemy involved. :stuck_out_tongue:

Padded bike shorts.

Learning to shift my weight to the saddle was part of learning to go one legged for me.

Select one foot to ride without, take more and more weight off of it and try to put it up on the fork of your frame. It’s not easy for a beginner, but once you’ve done it you can put your weight on the saddle for sure.

Thanks for the replies. Looks like I’m running into all the common newbie issues, so I’ll just pay my dues as I progress :slight_smile:

Thing that helped me the most with this is I moved up more on the saddle. This puts my weight/pressure more on my sit bones and much less on my groin.

Padded bike shorts help too, but I no longer need them now that I have drastically less pain with my new position

Even though I’m out of commission for a bit, I can speak to the fatigue issue. Once I got to the place where I could ride for at least half a mile, I just kept pushing the distances as I could tolerate it. Whether I rode a half mile, or 4 miles, I was totally exhausted. But, after several rides of at least 4 miles, I started to be less exhausted. Then, when I got on the logging roads and upped the mileage to 7 and 8 miles, I noticed a huge difference. I think it just takes time in the saddle. I think much of the fatigue is just from how we ride when we’re learning…everything that has been said already. Keep riding and increasing your distances. Once you start to relax a little, the fatigue becomes less of a problem. I’m afraid that I’m going to have to go through all of this again once I get back on my unicycles… :frowning: