Newb question, hopefully not redundant...

I have been unicycling since April 4th, (i got one on my b-day :slight_smile: ) and I was just wondering where to go from here. I can unicycle forwards now for some time, i learned after about a week of practice, and yesterday traveled three miles in a row without stopping, just holding my water bottle to build up my endurance. I just discovered this forum, and wondered where do I go now? I’m 16 years old, and i have a Savage unicycle 20" I know it’s not good at all, and I was wondering if it would be worth it to buy a nimbus 2 uni, as they look a lot nicer, and more durable. I can now idle for about 30 repetitions, which equates to a minute or so at the max, and just the other day figured out how to hop in place to perform a 180 degree turn. I still don’t have idling down perfectly, and can barely ride backwards yet, so what should i do? I really want to learn how to hop up curbs, as that is near impossible right now, so, any advice on what i should do know or how to do it would be appreciated. (by the way, i’m going to break a world record soon- I can solve the Rubik’s cube on AVERAGE faster than the current world record of 22.95 seconds (i average 21 seconds), and am the only person that I have ever talked to that can solve ANY rubiks’ cube for speed on a unicycle where it takes me about 30 seconds!) hopefully, i will reach guinness soon, so look for my name in the record books!

Also, my name is Kyubeman on:

groups.yahoo.com/group/speedsolvingrubikscube

I wouldn’t do much curb hopping. Your cheap unicycle wheel probably won’t survive many. I’d practice riding backwards, it will help to improve your idle. From there you can pick up one foot riding and one foot idling.

hehe

I wouldn’t complain if it broke, all the more incentive to buy a better one :smiley: one foot riding? seems difficult, i’ll try though.

Re: Newb question, hopefully not redundant…

First of all, you should stop talking to yourself.

That Rubik’s cube solution on a unicycle sounds really cool. Unicycling I could do, but never the cube.

As for curbs, try to approach it so that you just get to the curb with your pedals in position to hop. Turning slightly sideways before you hop or approaching the curb from the side rather than head on will help alot.

It sounds like you have made great progress very quickly. Your Savage unicycle is probably OK except for the seat which could be upgraded inexpensively from

For the list of skills and skill levels, use the links section at unicyclist.com to get to the unicycle page or go to it directly here

http://www.unicycling.org/

This may help you narrow down what you want to learn next. Have fun, be wild, and ride like the wind.

Thanks for the help. As for talking to myself, I can’t help it, I type fast, and whatever comes to my mind seems to end up on the page. If i weren’t so lazy, i might look over things like that, oh well. Anyway, unicycle improvement is more important.

RE: Newb question, hopefully not redundant…

> be appreciated. (by the way, i’m going to break a world record soon- I
> can solve the Rubik’s cube on AVERAGE faster than the current world
> record of 22.95 seconds (i average 21 seconds), and am the only person
> that I have ever talked to that can solve ANY rubiks’ cube for speed on
> a unicycle where it takes me about 30 seconds!)

Then it’s easy. Practice idling with the Rubik’s cube. Is that cool or what?

John Foss, the Uni-Cyclone
jfoss@unicycling.com

“You’re not supposed to wash your Roach armor” - Nathan Hoover, on safety
equipment cleaning methods

Hey!! I finally meet someone on the forums who can do a Rubik’s cube! Cool to hear. My record for solving it is about on minute fifty seconds, so I’m not very fast even though I’ve been able to do it for about two years. Haha! I just had a good idea: ride down the street on your uni solving a Rubik’s cube while listening to classical music, then take pictures of the looks people give you. Ha! what a riot that could be! (altough many would think you were insane, but still)
Anyway I also have a Savage 20’ uni but the only original parts on it are the frame and the rim because all the other parts broke or needed to be replaced because of. . . . discomfort. . . . (shudder) Especially the seat.
I’m about level 3/4 and if you’re looking for tricks to try, I would get ahold of the ten IUF skill levels for stuff to practice and just try stuff. Those can be found at
http://www.unicycling.org/iuf/levels/

Have fun!

i used to be able to do that %#$@**& cube!
came in at 59 seconds once, just once
can u guys point me in the direction of some info ref how to do it again
would love to pick it up as something to do while in traffic

> i used to be able to do that %#$@**& cube!
> came in at 59 seconds once, just once
> can u guys point me in the direction of some info ref how to do it
> again
> would love to pick it up as something to do while in traffic

Gild

I learnt from this site

http://ng.netgate.net/~mette/lars/cubedude/

It has some good java applets that show how you should be moving the
sides to be able to solve it. I haven’t bothered to get the speed up so
it takes me about 2-3 minutes to solve.

Thanks

James (jimmy)

Unix: It’s not just “User-Unfriendly”:
it’s ‘Proactively User-Hostile’!

I’ve spent quite some time on Rubik’s cube in 1981/1982. IIRC the
fastest I had at the time was like 50 seconds. I also own between five
and ten spin-off designs*, like pyramids, cylinders etc. After many
years no_cube_at_all I tried the cube one or two years ago, but I was
even struggling to get the second layer. Funny was, that when trying
to remember how to do it, suddenly my hands took on a will of their
own and completed the second layer without me interfering or even
thinking, I was just watching what happened.

Cybeross, your 21 seconds average is absolutely amazing.

GILD, I must have a booklet somewhere with a step-by-step solution. I
presume it is in Dutch, can you read that?

Klaas Bil

• I mean I own the objects, not the designs.

practice practice

Yeah, to get to 21 seconds, I had to memorize a SUBSTANTIAL amount of algorithms, as well as practice for hours a day for 10 months so far. I do about 1-2 hours a day of practice when I am waiting for things, or in the early morning. It is akin to an olympic athlete, it takes incredible dedication to do it, hence so few people have. I’m pleased to see that so many people know the cube and the unicycle, breaking a minute is quite an accomplishment, especially with a less advanced approach. For info and help, try the speed solving forum on:

or see the records, (including mine) at:

my name is Ross Palmer by the way.

I’m confident that anyone can learn how to solve in 30 seconds, especially you who know the meaning of dedication since you can unicycle well, which is also quite a feat at the higher levels it seems. In the mean time, you learn that, and I learn one footed idling if i can!

-R to the O S S