New video-based "learn to ride" website - from riding to gliding

I’ve been riding for about 7 months now and I’m totally hooked on unicycling. I didn’t know anyone within a 300 mile radius that unicycles, so I learned to ride by watching videos on YouTube. I compiled all the video tutorials that I found helpful along the way (and that I still turn to for tips) in a website called http://learntounicycle.blogspot.com/.

It’s essential a static blog with a different page for each skill. Pages cover the spectrum from picking a unicycle, to riding forward, to hops and drops, to gliding. It has videos from Kevin Foster and Megan Rouch at Expert Village; Kris Holm; Dan Heaton; Terry “Unigeezer” Peterson and many others.

I welcome any comments on how to make the website more helpful, and I’d be happy if you help get the word out and/or link to it from your own uni-site. My hope is that as people access the website they’ll add comments to each page to let others know what helped them learn each skill.

The page looks promising… more or less half the way behind me, but I have to take a closer look at the second half :slight_smile:
I’ve linked it to a polish uni forum, in a topic about uni tutorials.

as i’m progressing i think that this compilation would make it easier for all of us begginers :slight_smile:

<btw. Polish unicyclists rule>

Great Video

Thanks for getting this together…I need all the help I can get.

Thanks for posting the link, Vookash. I’m glad to hear there’s a strong unicycling contingent in Poland! It really has universal appeal, doesn’t it!

I hope it can help lots of people! It seems like a lot of the uni tutorial videos on YouTube have been uploaded in the last year or two. Together they make for a great resource for those of us learning now.

If anyone has a favorite uni tutorial that I missed on the website, please let me know about it and I’ll add it.

Patrick

wow jo, you must be the only unicyclist on the orkney islands!

Surprisingly on my island of 200 peeps there is another uni rider… the problem is she is 16/17 and I am ancient. All we have in common is the uni and she is sht hot at it whilst I am simply sht.

Wow, this is a really good collection of videos and a well put together site. I’ll be recommending it to any other would-be unicyclists I come across.

Keep up the good work! :slight_smile:

Hey, thanks for helping to spread the word and I’m glad you like the site. I unicycle on UNC campus almost everyday, and people will often ask me how I learned to ride. I wanted to be able to give them a website where they could go to learn about the sport of unicycling AND see how they could get started if they were really serious about it. Yesterday I gave the link to a Korean newspaper reporter who caught up to me at a traffic light, and today I gave it to a woman who wants to give her 30-year-old, out-of-work, son in law something to do with his time until he finds a job.

My learn to ride website recently surpassed 1000 page loads. I hope it has been helpful to as many people. Does anyone know how I can get the website added to the “learn to ride” page on the “links” page of this forum? I sent a PM to John Childs who posted all the other links back in 2005 but I haven’t heard back.

Thanks.