New Unicyclist.com server on the way.

I’ve put in an order for a new server.

The current server we’ve been using is a dedicated server, which means we were essentially “renting” it for the past 3.5 years. The monthly cost now is not worth it for the server we currently have, plus we need more resources anyways. I’ll be switching to colocation, instead of the dedicated server route, which means that we buy the server and pay to have it in a datacenter. This means an upfront cost to buy the server, but a lower monthly cost after that.

Edit:
Thanks to all of our supporters, this new server has now been paid for. The running costs of maintaining this site. which includes bandwidth, will still continue, so if you want to help us cover the bandwidth of this site, please donate.

what kind of server are you buying? what are the specs?

The specs are:
CPU: 1 x Intel Xeon E5405 Quad-Core 2.00GHz, 12MB Cache, 1333MHz FSB, 45nm Hi-k
RAM: 8GB (4 x 2GB) DDR2-667 Registered ECC - Interleaved
NIC: Intel 82573V & 82573L Gigabit Ethernet Controllers - Integrated
Hot-Swap Drive - 1: 150GB Western Digital Raptor (1.5Gb/s,10Krpm,16MB Cache,NCQ) SATA
Hot-Swap Drive - 2: 1TB Western Digital RE2-GP (3.0Gb/s, Variable Speed, 16MB Cache) SATA

This means at least 2 times the CPU processing power, 4 times the memory, and 5 times the hard drive space.

It’s also easily expandable to another CPU, more RAM, and more harddrive space, so it should last us a while.

i don’t get that at all, but it looks good…

has the server not got a raid 1? and I think it’s FB-DIMMs you got in there not DDR2 registered. Good to see the green CPU’s come in :wink:

It’s DDR2, and there is no RAID 1. The data is replicated to a box I have in my home.

Just out of curiousity, how much hard drive space does the forum actually use?

Also, including the galleries and everything else.

what will be different on the New Server or is there nothing…?

I’ll be switching OSes and will be able to do some other software upgrades, like upgrading the forum software.

About 200 GB is used by the site right now.

Does this mean my album in the gallery will work again? I don’t have back-ups of many of the pictures and videos on there:(

That problem is now fixed. When I moved data around to a different hard drive, I make an incorrect symbolic link.

Thanks!

What OS are ye gonna be using? Some form of *nix? :slight_smile:

FreeBSD

wow, thats surprisingly small indeed
you could essentially run that off a single hard drive, but you’d want another for backups/running faster

when you swich over to the other server, I presume we wont be able to go on here for a while. and then when we can come back on it will it be the same, faster, or have a few different features?

The switch can be done in a relatively seamless manor, with very little downtime. I do plan to upgrade some of the software and may rework a bunch of the site.

100%

I think I was first off the starting blocks with the ChipIn donation. I’ve just made a second donation that has completed the 100% required. I feel like such a bookend :slight_smile:

Anyway, good luck with the new server installation. Hope it goes smoothly for everyone.

STM

I assume that the new server is in place by now.

But performance sucks during the last days :frowning:

And there was again this page telling me that the server is busy and I should try again later … :thinking: :frowning: :frowning:

BTW time is not in sync