New Unicycle? Help needed

Somerset is close to Exeter (well I’m over half way there when I reach Somerset) so you should try and get down to the Unimeet on 12th February 2005. Details at:

http://www.unicycle.uk.com/calendar.asp

Personally I use a 20" with 110mm cranks in the gym & for hockey and a 29" or 36" wheel when I want to get anywhere.

I have seen some people post to this forum from Somerset in the past.

Keith

Hmm, that is around the time of our half-term break, but the thing is I would have to go alone or drag some friends who don’t unicycle. What is it like? I can see myself wandering around not knowing anyone…
Also, i would still have my current, slighty rusty unicycle and look silly with it.

I believe the date has been chosen to fit in with the start of half term.

At the last Exeter meet (called SWUM - South West UniMeet) there must have been atleast 40 riders of which quite a few had never attended one before, as it was only the 2nd event held in Exeter. There were also a couple of ancient unicycles plus a few shiny new examples present, don’t be embarassed.

They are very sociable with games, workshops etc. throughout the day. Generally you soon start talking to people who appear to be of a similar standard, regardless of age.

Keith

You don’t seem to know much about unicyclists. Unicyclists are all friendly, helpful, and fun. All of these folks who recommend that you go to a meet or try out other peoples unicycles are making EXCELLENT suggestions. They will all help you in making a decision as to what to buy. No one will think your old, rusty unicycle is silly.

we should see how many times this question comes up ina month it would probably be a big number it would als oshow us how many popel are unicycling

a 26 or 24 in. light-duty muni would be the best for riding around. you can take it in grass, dirt, or pavement. You can do light-duty trials on a 24in. with the fatter tire you don’t lose all that much smoothness on road.

24in muni

Re: New Unicycle? Help needed

On Wed, 22 Dec 2004 11:13:50 -0600, “Poppie” wrote:

>Looking at the pics of the nimbus’, they have much bigger wheels than
>the one I have, I have heard this makes it easier to balance?

On the contrary, smaller wheels are slightly easier to balance. Or at
least, people learning to ride on 20" wheels learn somewhat quicker
than people learning on 24" wheels. However, that is hardly a concern,
especially since you can ride already. 20" is the best size for
tricks. 24" is better for using your unicycle for transportation while
still amenable to doing tricks.

>They still
>look quite ‘short’ but I don’t know.

If you mean short as in that the seat is low, that’s an issue quite
separate from wheel size. The seat post should just be long enough so
that the seat can be adjusted properly. If the main issue with your
current unicyclie is that the seat post is too short, buy a longer
seat post (www.unicycle.uk.com), they’re not that expensive. You need
the correct type for your seat bolt pattern, Roger from said website
will kindly assist you.

Good seat height is determined with respect to the axle. Crank length
plays a role as well, i.e. with longer cranks your seat should be
lower to be able to reach the pedal comfortably in its lowest
position. Summary: leg essentially stretched but knee not locked when
sitting on the seat while heel is placed at pedal in bottom position.

Klaas Bil - Newsgroup Addict

“Deflating pi does not reduce calories, it just concentrates them. - billham”

Thankyou everyone, I will stick around here and hopefully learn more. My mum says I should definitely go to the South West Uni Meet, is there a thread about it, I cant find one?

x Poppie

Sarah posted some prelimary info in November:

http://www.unicyclist.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=36317&highlight=South+West+Uni+Meet

The website is still mentioning the previous event but can be found here:

Poppie, i had the same reservations about attending a unicycling club meeting for the first time this summer too. I went anyway, though, and it turned out to be a great decisions. EVERYONE at the meet was welcoming and happy to help me and answer all of my questions. Despite having a far inferior unicycle, most of them wanted to mess around on it, just because it was a little different and had a different feel. And they also let me try out their unicycles. Because of their help, my skill has improved greatly, and i am quickly catching up to their skill level.

I promise you, if you don’t attend that uni meet that everyone is welcoming you to, that you will be the only person that loses. Actually, you seem to be a pretty enthusiastic newbie, and that’s good for everybody, so maybe it will be their loss as well. If their meet is anything like any of the ones over here, you’ll be welcomed and associated as soon as you walk in the door - lucky you. So don’t be intimidated, just go. You’ll thank us for it later. Good luck.

Don’t worry about going to the SW Uni meet alone - I did the same in October and they’re a pretty friendly bunch. I had a great time and will be going again in February. It was a real novelty to be able to ride around on a unicycle without getting the stupid “where’s your other wheel” comments, and the games were an excellent laugh.

I’ve had a unicycle for a year now (Christmas present from my wife last year). I started with a UDC “adult learner” 20" cycle which I put a longer seat post on. I still use that for practicing freestyle (still hopeless at idling and backwards riding), but I wanted to be able to ride longer distances on the trails round here (I’m in Princetown on Dartmoor), so I bought a 26" Nimbus a few months ago. The 26" is really good for what I do (rough but nothing extreme, 10 miles or so to work).

Rob

Aww, thankyou Hecklar and Rob (: That makes me feel more confident about it. You all seem really nice! Hmm… do you get many people with piercings etc. at these things?

Haha! What, are you worried about frightening people? Aren’t we all punks in a way? We are unicyclists after all.

I met a girl in the summer who was ‘pierced’, but she isthe only unicycler that i know who is ‘pierced’, not that i know a whole lot of unicyclists.

What’s the difference? Why do you care? Are you mutated something fierce? I couldn’t imagine anyone really caring otherwise.

^^; Haha, I don’t know what I was asking. I do have 22 piercings and my ears stretched to 1". I’m sure everyone’s cool though (:

Do you have dread locks too? Haha!

I have skater friends like that, but no unicyclers. I’m not into that sort of stuff personally, you know, 'cause i work in an office and all.

heh. My hair is red currently.

<magically appears>

I ride a smattering of unicycles in and around Yeovil. If you want to try a unicycle or two you are very welcome; just shout!

Phil

Nimbus X 20-inch Freestyle

I resumed riding a unicycle this summer after an extended absence. So here are some thoughts from a semi-newbie:

I think the first choice you need to make is wheel size. Going any distance on a 20" can get tiresome, but it is the easiest for learning skills. As everyone says, a 24" with a light tread is the best all-around machine. The Nimbus 24" you found looks good, but I’d agree that the crank size may be too long. If you buy it, see if you can get it with shorter cranks.

By the way, if you start thinking about a 20", I’d check out the Nimbus X 20-inch Freestyle . I got this uni in the summer. I like it more and more as I ride it. It is well-built and sturdy. I’ve been impressed with the wheel, hub, and crank construction. It’s great for learning. BTW, it has the same hookworm tire as the 24" you’ve been looking at.

Two months ago, I got at KH24, a model that seems to be a standard in Muni. The riding experiences between the two machines are entirely different. (I had to change the 170 mm crank to the 140mm to feel comfortable.) The 24" moves more quickly than the 20," which I really enjoy. With its big tire, it rides more easily on a trail than on a paved road!

As the other posts have pointed out, wheel tread, and crank length do matter!

By all means, if you have the chance to meet other riders, do so. I’ve found that people are happy to let you try out their uni’s.

Sounds like you’re doing great.

Re: Nimbus X 20-inch Freestyle

That’s because nimbus was originally going to be all MUni, but for some reason they are marketed as cruisers. I don’t know about my facts, that’s just what my freind told me. He rides a savage, so he must not have that much credibility.

oh boy will you fit in with some of the kidderminster lot! Lucy (16ish) and Genna (18ish) have a similar number of peircings and certainly Lu’s hair changes colour every time I see her… Lu rides a 20" freestyle unicycle and genna does not ride a unicycle; she claims… she only rides ultimate wheels and 2 wheelers!

If you would like to get in touch with them, mail me off the forum and I will pass on your email address to them.

Unicycle.com (UK) intend to bring a little store down to the SWUM as we did last time, so may see you there.

Roger