New unicycle decisions

Hello to all. Sorry in advance for asking a question that I’m sure has been asked many times before, but I have specific questions so I thought I’d start a new thread.

I recently learned to unicycle on one from a juggling club, and I’m interested enough in them to go out and get my own. I’d like to use it primarily to ride around the neighborhood and for transportation over relatively short distances, but it would be nice to still be able to use it for things like juggling, uni basketball, etc., so I’m thinking 24" should be about right. I’m looking for something that is sturdy and will last, and I don’t want it to fall apart if I ride off curbs or through dirt areas, but I’m looking for something in about the $150-$200 price range. I’m 5’11", 130 lbs, and have an inseam of 33". I’ve looked around for used cycles but haven’t found anything, so I was thinking of buying from unicycle.com.

I’ve heard good things about Semcycles and like how the XL 24-inch Standard looks (http://www.unicycle.com/shopping/shopexd.asp?id=529), but I thought I should look at some others and ask around before going with that. Some others that I’ve heard about are the Nimbus II (https://www.unicycle.com/shopping/shopexd.asp?id=741), Torker Unistar DX (https://www.unicycle.com/shopping/shopexd.asp?id=765), and Torker Unistar LX (https://www.unicycle.com/shopping/shopexd.asp?id=675).

I was wondering how these all compare, if there are any others that I should look into, and what everyone thinks about the Semcycle being a good fit or not. Thanks in advance.

well im pretty sure the saddles on the lx and dx are better but thats all i can say

The Nimbus comes with a Kris Holm saddle (this is not explicitly stated) which is very comfortable. It also comes with a Maxxis Hookworm tire which so far has been great for almost everything. I really enjoy my Nimbus.

The nimbus is ok exept that the cranks come very loose very quickly, so it wouldn’t work that well for distance. If I were you Id probably just get a lx. I have had a lx for a couple of years and it is still working fine, and I’ve takin it down some crazy stuff(like the Hebe Crater for instance), and some good drops.

lx almost as good and much cheper than dx… i love torker im getten my 2nd 1 tuesday

Interesting, it sounded to me from some research I did that the Semcycle was of significantly better quality than the Torkers, and that saddles can always be changed if one isn’t comfortable. Is there really not that much of a difference, or are the saddles not interchangeable on certain models? Thanks again.

Nonsense. There are only so many hubs available, and only so many cranks. The ones on the Nimbus are perfectly good. They are not unique to the Nimbus. You can’t dismiss a popular and reliable unicycle model just like that. If fitted correctly, the cranks will stay tight in normal on road/off road riding for as long as you want. They might not stand up to the rigours of stairs and drops, but that’s not what the Nimbus is designed for.

jrdioko wrote: << I’m looking for something that is sturdy and will last, and I don’t want it to fall apart if I ride off curbs or through dirt areas>>

Well, the Nimbus is perfectly good for this. I’ve ridden on and off road for huge distances on a Nimbus 20, 24 and 28. I’ve never had the problem you describe.

Re: New unicycle decisions

“Mikefule” <Mikefule@NoEmail.Message.Poster.at.Unicyclist.com> writes:

> Nonsense … If fitted correctly, the cranks will stay tight in
> normal on road/off road riding for as long as you want.

Nice theory. I sure wish I could keep my cranks tight on those hubs.

I don’t know if the problem is with the hubs (I have 2 of them), the
cranks I’m using (European cranks apparently have a slightly different
taper than Taiwanese), or my tenchique, but I’ve tried a lot of tricks
and still have to tighten the bolts after every ride. And yes, I have
tried new cranks (though not Taiwanese, yet).

Ken

If you get the standard cranks offered by Unicycle.com, they will deform rather quickly. It’s a good idea to upgrade the cranks to some good high-strength aluminum model before doing any serious work on the Nimbus.

The Unicycle.com hub and “made in Taiwan” Nimbus frame I’ve had for the past year have taken an incredible amount of abuse (lots of 3+ ft drops, trials, muni) and they aren’t much worse for the wear. Just keep your crank bolts tight and you’re golden!

Well it looks like the Nimbus’s are out of stock anyway. What are the pros and cons of the Semcycle XL vs. Torker DX vs. Torker LX frames (it looks like I can always replace the seat later)?