New unicycle book

Anyone know this guy?

I don’t know him, but he has a link from his web site to this web site. That makes him good to me. He also has a Forum, but it has had only four posts to 1 topic, ever. Hummmm!

Wonder how many books he has sold? I wish him well. --chirokid–

I’ve seen that book being sold by him on ebay. The name is not familiar to me.

Just wondering how many of you have seen the Complete book of Unicycling sold in america, Its quite a old book that I found in circomedia’s libary which i thought was quite funny because the most of the pictures are in really bad computer graphics :slight_smile:

Trev

nope never heard of him…wonder if the books any good?

starter blocks and mounting from kirbs? i can’t say i’d reccomend that as a safe way to learn.

i havent read the book so i’m just guessing from the feedback and photos.

WHO IS THAT MASKED MAN?

While surfing the net I stumbled across this little discussion regarding the booklet “Ride The Unicycle - A Crash Course!”

My name is Gregg Vivolo, I’ve been a unicycle enthusiast for over 30 years now and have been teaching others to ride for almost as long. I’m married with 4 sons, two of which also ride.

I wrote the booklet over a year ago and started selling it on eBay in addition to selling it on my little website. To date I’ve sold close to 500 booklets.

Is the book good? I think the overwhelming success of those who’ve used my booklet to learn is a testimony to whether or not it is good.

What makes it different than other learn to ride books written is that it breaks down the process into small understandable steps. In addition, the booklet includes several exercises for a student to perform prior to getting on the unicycle to help learn and understand the importance of leaning forward which as you know is the most critical, yet most difficult skill to perform for beginning unicyclists.

My intention for writing the booklet is simply to promote the wonderful sport of unicycling.

Happy and Safe Unicycling!

Welcome to the forums, Gregg! I hope you will poke around a bit and see what this group is all about. Your forum looks like a great place for beginners to get some useful feedback. It’s sometimes harder to get that here without first being told to use the search feature (which they should).

I had some correspondence with Gregg when I first heard about his book a year or two ago. Anything to help people get over the steep learning curve of learning to ride is a good thing. People really need that! Looks like he favors a “ride away from curb” technique. Funny, as I just posted in a different thread that one of the most important pointers I give new riders is to “stick to the wall” at first. So we may have different teaching methods.

Good luck with the book sales, Gregg!

I ordered a copy out of curiousity. Maybe I’ll give it to my daughter in yet another attempt to get her to stick with the learning process. She wants to ride, just wont put in the time.

Very aptly named…

Ride The Unicycle - A Crash Course!

Thanks John!

I think learning to ride with the assistance of a wall is a fine idea, however, what I’ve found over the years is that many beginners don’t have easy access to a “good” wall to use while learning. Obviously, a “good” wall is one that has a paved surface adjacent to it.

As you know the key to learning to ride the unicycle as quickly as possible is practice. I’ve also found that if a student has to travel down the street, across town or wherever to get to that “good” wall, practice no longer is convenient. The student’s practice often becomes too infrequent. This hinders his/her ability to learn quickly which often equates to the student giving up and not learning at all. This becomes even more of a problem when the student is a youngster who needs his mom or dad to transport him to that place of practice.

I’ve found that to learn as quickly as possible the student really needs to spend approximately 30 minutes per day practicing. For most students this is only possible when practice is convenient. When the student only needs a curb or platform and his/her unicycle they can almost always go right out their front door and do it. There are no excuses! I believe this is one of the reasons the method I prescribe in my booklet, the “ride away from the curb” method, has been as successful as it has in getting so many students riding and enjoying this wonderful sport as quickly as possible.

I also like the “ride away from the curb” method because it helps the student transition to free mounting much more quickly. When using a wall, the student will learn to ride the unicycle but the wall does not teach them to mount the unicycle, which the curb method does. One of the frustrations I see with most students, even with the curb method, comes when they reach a point when they can ride 50 feet or more. Every time they fall off they have to walk back to the curb, platform or wall to re-mount. This problem is amplified when the student is riding several hundred feet. It is for this reason; I like my students to learn free mounting as quickly as possible. The wall method does not help them in this area.

When a student of mine progresses to the point where he/she is riding a good distance I immediately start the transition to free mounting. I’ll have the student keep a small, quarter sized rock in their pocket. When a student has a good ride of 50 feet or more, I have them turn around, place the rock behind the wheel of their unicycle to keep the unicycle from rolling backwards as they mount it, then “rock” free mount and ride back towards their curb or platform. The student is able to perform this “rock” free mount almost immediately which is enormous in boosting confidence and allowing more riding time and less walking time which helps the student learn even quicker.

Once the student is riding well, I’ll have them practice normal free mounting, which, as you can imagine, is picked up almost immediately. The student is then free to ride anywhere his/her heart desires; true liberation for a beginning unicyclist.

In closing I’d like to ad that it is not my desire to make an issue out of which method of teaching is better than another. The issue, which is the reason I wrote and sell my book is all about the fact that John and I and so many others are using our knowledge and experience to “spread the word” about this wonderful sport to help others learn to ride. If we continue to work diligently, who knows maybe unicycling will become an Olympic sport. Wouldn’t that be cool?

Good on ya Gregg!

Anything promoting the sport has to be a good thing. By the way, Unicycle.com New Zealand have also brought out a learn to ride booklet
Bit more expensive though.

Wow! Expensive is right. Maybe I should increase my price. Only kidding. It looks like UDC/NZ has a nice book as well.

Thanks!

I received this email tonight from a woman who purchased my book, “Ride The Unicycle - A Crash Course!” Here’s the kind words that she had to say:

Now that’s what it’s all about. Getting folks, who have a burning desire to learn, up and riding as quickly as possible. It’s the many letters I’ve received, like this one, that have made writing the book one of the most pleasurable experiences I’ve ever know.

Here’s another letter I received recently!

Spread the word, Unicycling is the greatest!

And another! The reviews just keep on comming…I love it!

It just warms my heart!

Looks like its really working for many people Gregg, you must be very pleased!

I had a chat with someone a few days ago about why unicycling isn’t as popular as it could be. We came to the conclusion that the stigma of clowning and circuses attached to it doesn’t help much, but also the difficulty in learning it doesn’t either, and most people don’t have the perserverence to stick with it. It seems your method, and the way you have put it across in your book seems to really have worked for a great many people, and I know that I’ve reccommended people who ask me about how to learn that using the kerb/stopping stone method is one of the best ways.

Loose.