new to unicycling

Hi, guys I want to learn to use a unicycle but I’m not shur if I should because I live in the bush. were I live we have a bunch of graver roads and a lot of trails and farm stuff that could be fun to unicycle on but is it worth the money??
since I have to go about 7 miles to get to town?
and if so what uni should I get my in leg is 31"
and I have a tight budget :angry:

You don’t have to go to town to unicycle. A lot of people ride mountain uni (Muni). It’s fun if you can afford a unicycle and want to learn. You may want to learn on a 20", to me they are easier than 24". Gravel can be a bit of a pain, but any hardpacked dirt or solid surface works.

brands

what brands should I buy?
I was thinking 3" tier but i’m no expert so any help appreciated!:slight_smile:

What is your budget? Where are you from?

This will help you get better info.

i wouldnt get anything with that bigger tire to learn on i would get a 2 0inch learner then maybe upgrade when you get better

my budget is around 250 but less would be good!!
and I’m from Manitoba Canada

Hey, I first learnt when I was living in (the southern part of) Northern Saskatchewan. 80km from the nearest town and 250km from the nearest city.

You definitely do not need to be in town to ride but having an area cleared of snow does help a lot.

I learnt on a lake where I cleared the ice since it was the only flat area around. (I also studded my tire)

I started with a cheep trials unicycle with square taper cranks. I wish I would have gotten something splined but they were out of my price range. With the popularization of the ISIS interface in unicycles splined unis are getting a lot cheeper.

If you think you are going to stick with unicycling I would suggest getting a Nimbus ISIS trials. the tire is small enough that it is good for learning and beefy enough to do some MUni. I would give Brian MacKenzie an email, something tells me that he would sell one for $255 (CAN) and shipping within Canada should be fairly cheep.

If you stick with unicycling you will have a very solid unicycle which can be easily upgradable if you want, and if you don’t it should have a much higher re-sale value than a cheeper unicycle with square taper cranks.

Good luck

ERIC

Ya I got one with square tapered cranks because I didn’t know better. I’m saving money to buy another already.

what size wheel should I buy for off road out here is gravel rodes, grass and mud
I would like something that bonuses :roll_eyes:

wheel sizes

You probably want something between 19/20 and 26"
Here are some advantages and disadvantages of the different wheel sizes.

20" (BMX/freestyle) - Great for tricks and learning on hard ground, probably not what you want in the middle of nowhere, but its your cheapest option.

19" Trials (also considered 20") Small wheel easy to learn on, good for doing tricks, can do MUni but you need to pedal like mad to go very fast. The best choice for hopping on stuff. Lighter, stronger and cheeper than comparable MUnis

24" MUni - Very popular size. Many people learn on 24" unicycles. A 24 will be faster than a 20 but a bit harder to hop and harder to do tricks on.

26" MUni - I think that this is a under-used size in the unicycle world. Faster and smother than a 24 but harder to hop and do tricks. A good 26 is harder to find than a good 24.

29" Muni - you could get a 29" Muni but they get quite expensive and are not recommended for learners. The are faster and usually lighter than a 26 but weight savings come at the expense of durability.

Hope that helped

if you have any concrete you should be good to go.
you really don’t need that much space to learn, not anything like learning to ride a bike.

after a few weeks you’ll probably be able to ride gravel fine.

dude, on my way home today, we got stuck in traffic behind an old couple with a license plate that said Saskatchewan! :astonished:
wow

Do you have any Idea what you want to do on it?

Freestyle

Trials

Street (freestyle + trials - you don’t neccesarily need asphalt/concrete to do it)

Mountain unicycling (Muni)

Distance

A smooth hard surface is best for learning, w/ a rail or wall. You could use a long hallway, garage, barn, or fence.

$250 US will get you a REALLY good, strong uni. I’d start w/ the Nimbus ISIS Trials, it’ll be the easiest to learn on and learning new skills/tricks and good for challenging yourself on obstacles around the house. Later add to your collection (most of us have at least 3 unis).

but is it going to be fun there are not many hills out here:(
and the trails have allot of branches :frowning:
my parents don’t think I should they say you have to be in the city
and they think it will get boring
I really want one but it hard wen you don’t have support
what do you guys think??

1. To me that sounds like a speed course which can also be fun considering there aren’t too much hills. :stuck_out_tongue:
  2. That’s not always the case like what saskatchewanian said. His a very smart person.
    3) Besides unicycling can never be boring.
    4) I didn’t get support either from my family (except my grandma) but i didn’t let that stop me from learning the world of unicycling and it shouldn’t stop you too also.

thanks I think I will get one :slight_smile:

Here you go, show your parents this video and see if they still think a few branches on some trails will be a problem
http://www.unicyclist.com/gallery/?g2_view=core.ShowItem&g2_itemId=186673

If you need help with getting one. Don’t hesitate to ask me or any of the kind and friendly people on this forum as i’m sure they will help you. :smiley:

Your new friend. :smiley:
HAZMAT

thanks for all your help!!:slight_smile:

Start with either 20" or 24"

I think if you need to get a 20" to learn on and build your confidence from there.

After you master basic skills expect you’ll be asking for a 2nd uni, say a 24 or 26.

I’m not sure how many members of the forum started off with a 24 or 26 but beginners really should begin with a 20". A fairly decent low budget 20" unicycle can be found even at your local bike shop. The learner unicycle is typically a stepping stone to your ideal uni.

Anyway good luck.