New to Unicycling

I saw some guys down the local skatepark on Uni’s and it got me interested in the sport, I did some researching on the net and found forums and videos.
I couldn’t believe what some people were able to do so it convinced me to get a unicycle. I brought a real cheap one for $60 (Aus) and it arrived 2 days ago.
I’ve been riding as much as I can outside and I’ve gotten in about three hours practice over 2days and it’s a blast.
Unfortunately I can only ride for about 2-3metres before I fall off but I feel i’m progressing.
If anyone here has some tips they’d care to share, or if anyone here is from the Sydney, Australian area is also learning and keen to share stories I’d love to hear from them aswell.
Otherwise I’m going to do my best to learn and lurk around these forums,
looking forward to talking to you all…

Hey Welcome to the world of unicycling!!

Check out the other forum, Just Conversation you will find a thread called journal of a new unicyclist. Dude with a sock has kep a record of his progress and helpful tips that he has developed to overcome some beginning riding issues. A great read, too!

https://unicyclist.com//t/journal-of-a-new-unicycler/75494/1

Keep at it. you will progress quickly if you are persistent, but everyone learns at their own rate!!

while your at it click the link in my sig line…it has some quite valuable info…but definately check out the journal first. Happy riding

Re: New to Unicycling

Sounds like you’re progressing pretty well given the time you’ve been
riding. Practice really does make perfect in this case - sounds like you
must be doing things pretty much right, so as long as you keep putting in
the hours you’ll soon be riding much longer.

And of course, once you can ride the thing, there’s no limit to the other
uni-related skills you can learn if you put your mind to it!

Cheers,
Mark

molab wrote:

>
> I saw some guys down the local skatepark on Uni’s and it got me
> interested in the sport, I did some researching on the net and found
> forums and videos.
> I couldn’t believe what some people were able to do so it convinced me
> to get a unicycle. I brought a real cheap one for $60 (Aus) and it
> arrived 2 days ago.
> I’ve been riding as much as I can outside and I’ve gotten in about
> three hours practice over 2days and it’s a blast.
> Unfortunately I can only ride for about 2-3metres before I fall off but
> I feel i’m progressing.
> If anyone here has some tips they’d care to share, or if anyone here is
> from the Sydney, Australian area is also learning and keen to share
> stories I’d love to hear from them aswell.
> Otherwise I’m going to do my best to learn and lurk around these
> forums,
> looking forward to talking to you all…
>
>

Havent seen gild post “thats one more of us and one less of them” yet

Mike

Welcome to this forum, it’s ripe with the smartest, nicest people you’ll ever come across.

The first thing that seems to regularly come out of my mouth when working with people on unis for the first time is, “keep your weight on the seat, sit up and look a little further forward”. I’m sure you’re cruising along with your progress…can’t wait to hear more about it. Good luck, have fun.

My page with tips for beginners, including Learning to Unicycle ‘booklet’.

Oh, and an estimate on how long it will take you to learn (statistically but personalised).

[QUOTE=molab]
or if anyone here is from the Sydney, Australian area QUOTE]

hey mate, im not from sydney but i live in melbourne australia, altho i do know of someone who is learning to ride in sydney aswell , this is his msn addy: “ocepla@hotmail.com” (it could be you :thinking: )

im gonna be goin to sydney nxt year to compete in the uni-nats, sydney 2007! so i will probz see u there, if u go

Well, after 8 hours of work and 2 hours of Martial Arts I thought the Uni wasn’t going to get a run tonight… How wrong I was…
An hour and a half later and I think I’ve made the most progress so far.
It went from 2-3 bursts to now being (semi)consistently able to ride for 10 or so meters before my riding area runs out… Looks like I’ve outgrown the backyard, now I just have to find somewhere outdoors to take it :smiley:
I found something that works for me that might work for others, for my first 1-2-3 meters i look at the ground, it helps me balance and get set, then I look forward and off I go.
It’s such a great feeling to actually ride it for a decent distance and be forced to stop, not just falling off ungracefully.
I feel fairly accomplished for my third day… I start work late tomorrow so the Uni might get a run in the morning :slight_smile: