New to unicycling

I’m considering getting a unicycle through mail order, a 20" Torker.

See http://www.midtownbikeco.com/torun.html

Any thoughts? I’m 6’1", am looking for a unicycle that I won’t outgrow
the lack of quality, yet don’t want to overspend since I’m new to
this.

Any comments or suggestions welcome.

Mike

Hi Mike, Of the inexpensive unicycles the torker is considered the best imho. The seat is less than comfortable, however it holds up well to the abuse given by a beginner. I just relearned and my son just learned to ride on a 24 inch torker and its still fine. They also make an upgraded one with a better seat and a stronger wheel I believe. Do a search on here for torker and u will find out tons of info. Good luck, Mark

Mike-

Get the 24" Torker because it will be more versatile, especially considering your height. Lose the seat immediately and get a Viscount or Velo seat from our favorite distributor, unicycle.com .

These are the Viscount saddles.

These are the Velo saddles.

The Viscount is infinitely better than the stock Torker baby seat. The Velo is infinitely better than the Viscount. Other than the seat, Torker makes a good little unicycle.

Re: New to unicycling

The Torker is a very good starter unicycle. However, the seatpost that comes on the 20" model is going to be too short for you, and that particular Torker comes with a small seat that is designed for grade school kids. The seat is too small for an adult to find comfortable.

Your best bet would be to call unicycle.com and ask them for a beginner level unicycle. They can make sure that it’s outfitted with a seatpost that is long enough for you and a seat that fits an adult.

With a longer seatpost and a proper saddle that Torker is a good unicycle.

Another option is the black Torker Unistar
<http://www.unicycle.com/shopping/shopexd.asp?id=634&gt;
But you’d need to get a longer seatpost and a seatpost shim because the frame uses an unusual 25.4mm seatpost and most other unicycles use a 22.2mm seatpost.

Another option is a 24" black Torker Unistar
<http://www.unicycle.com/shopping/shopexd.asp?id=675&gt;
which may have a seatpost that is long enough for a 6’1" rider. You can find out from unicycle.com if the seatpost will be long enough for you.

Whatevery you do, stay away from a unicycle that looks like this
<http://www.unicycle.com/shopping/shopexd.asp?id=33&gt;
They are bad unicyles. The frame cracks, the seat will cut your legs. There is nothing good to say about them. You can find some of these being sold on eBay with lines like “the best quality Unicycle I have ever seen”. BS. That guy has obviously never seen another unicycle.
<http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2714100438&category=2904&gt;

Of course once u start gettin up in price, u might as well just get a bedford, it comes with a good seat etc.

I started my unicycling career last Thursday with a 24" Torker Unistar, and have learned quite well on it in the past week. I don’t know if the 20" will be tall enough for you without a seatpost extension, but the 24" is tall enough for me at 6’ 2", so it would be no problem for you at 6’ 1". The seat itself seems fine for me, but then again, I haven’t gotten to try anything else. I feel it is a good starter unicycle for me and wish you the best of luck.

Re. New to unicycling

Welcome Mike. I’d agree to everyone on this topic. For me if I was you. I’d go for the 24" with a Viscount saddle or the Velo saddles. Make sure the pedals are strong enough. (Sure grips Could be good Like the ones off B.M.X. Bikes)
Others might say a bit different to me on the pedals, but that’s ok.
Or better still a 26" with the same above. Have a look at Chris Holms saddles too. They should be good too what I’ve Read and heard of. Better still Go to www.unicycle.com it’s the best bet. Goodluck into adventuring of unicycling.
David. :slight_smile:

Hi…I bought my 24" Torker from Bicycle-Source and paid $90.00 for it and that included shipping. I also bought my 20" uni from them. Also…The 24" Torker came with the long seat post and a stand. For short people like me you have to cut the post down to size. Check them out…enjoy…Keithmj:D (The quality is the same and you save the $20.00 shipping charge).

Mike, since you linked to Midtown Bikes in your original post I’m guessing that you are in Memphis. If you want to try a Torker come on out to one of the Memphis Unicycle Club’s practices. We are meeting tonight at First Congregational Church in Midtown (Cooper-Young neighborhood). We have several Torkers that we use to teach folks. They are there for you to try out. We even have pizza! You are welcome to join us for an evening. Plus, we enjoy teaching. Visit our web site for more info and/or give me a call.
Tommy

I,too, started on a Torker Unistar and they are hard to beat for the price. You would probably be better off with the 24" due to your height. Be sure to check into the black Unistar model. For a few dollars more, you get an upgraded wheelset and sturdier frame.

Tommy’s advise is sound.

You are well advised to come to the Memphis Unicycle Club meeting TONIGHT at 6 pm at “First Congo”. (1000 south Cooper, around back, door is down the little ramp, knock loudly)

I’m 6’1" also. If you can order the Torker Black Unistar with a 400mm seat post, that’s a fine way to go.

However, my cousin (who should be there tonight) just got one with it’s regular seat post and it’s too short for me. I think Joe got one with a longer seat post, its nice.

But there’ll be over a dozen for you to try on for size.

feel free to call me at 345-2610 for more info
-Tom

Whoa! How do I get there from Connecticut? What kind of pizza?

Northwest Airlines would work. You are welcome to come on down!

Re: New to unicycling

I agree with David except for this: >Have a look at Chris Holms
>saddles too.

I think the Kris Holm saddles are much better quality.

Dylan

Re: Re: New to unicycling

[QUOTE Originally posted by Dylan Wallinger]

I think the Kris Holm saddles are much better quality.

Dylan

Dylan! It’s my flaming spelling mistakes. Could not find Kris Holm in the first place. So apologies to Mike and yourself. Thank you for clearing that up for me. Thanks!
David.
:frowning:

Re: Re: Re: New to unicycling

[QUOTE]
Originally posted by djm
[B]

I wonder how often Kris gets his name misspelled?

The videos North Shore Extreme Volume III - Dirty Dreams and North Shore Extreme Volume IV - Big Rocks Hard Knocks both gave credit to Chris Holmes (or was it Chris Holm?, I can’t remember). Even now I still catch mountain bikers spelling his name Chris with random spellings of his last name.

If a young kid named Chris Holmes ever starts unicycling think of all the free publicity he’s already going to have.

Re: Re: Re: Re: New to unicycling

[QUOTE Originally posted by john_childs]

I wonder how often Kris gets his name misspelled?

The videos North Shore Extreme Volume III - Dirty Dreams and North Shore Extreme Volume IV - Big Rocks Hard Knocks both gave credit to Chris Holmes (or was it Chris Holm?, I can’t remember). Even now I still catch mountain bikers spelling his name Chris with random spellings of his last name.

If a young kid named Chris Holmes ever starts unicycling think of all the free publicity he’s already going to have.

Thanks John. I agree with you with that topic. I’d laugh at a though at the moment.
David.