New to unicycling, need advice

So I’m getting a unicycle… partially because I think unicycles are quirky and awesome, but mostly because I believe they’ll help me get around my college campus faster (and are much easier to store in a dorm room than a bicycle).

From what I’ve read around the forums, I’m thinking of getting either a Schwinn 24-inch or a Torker Unistar DX 24-inch from Unicycle.com.

My college is up in the mountains, so it’s often bitterly cold (below freezing is not uncommon), extremely windy, and raining, often all at once. I’m hoping this won’t affect the unicycles too much.

I have two main questions: will a unicycle do what I want it to do (that is, getting around school faster) and which unicycle should I get? Also, what’s the tax for Unicycles.com?

Well let me be the first to say welcome to the fourms! I also use a unicycle to get around campus, however i use a coker (the 36 inch unicycles) just because it is faster. 24 inch unicycles are great to learn on and will suit you fine in getting around campus. A casual ride on a 24 inch is about a fast running speed for most people. My first unicycle was the 24 inch schwinn and im not that familure with the torker. The only problem I had with the schwinn is that the seat adjustments are bolted onto certain lengths and you cannot finely adjust it to a certain length, with the torker you can. Also with the schwinn the pedals that come with the unicycle break really easily, they may have fixed this by now.
As for the weather problem once you master your unicycle you will be able to do almost any terrain/weather condition possible, and you will think its fun! Unicyclist can do alot more than most people think (browse the gallery and the web and check out what people are doing on their unicycles).
Unicycle.com does not charge tax (as with most things you order online) but shipping they do. They may charge tax if you live in the same state as unicycle.com im not to sure about that. As for shipping they do have a shipping cost calculator on every product page, so just add that to the cost of the unicycle and there is your total.
Hope this helps and good luck!

Well let me be the first to say welcome to the fourms! I also use a unicycle to get around campus, however i use a coker (the 36 inch unicycles) just because it is faster. 24 inch unicycles are great to learn on and will suit you fine in getting around campus. A casual ride on a 24 inch is about a fast running speed for most people. My first unicycle was the 24 inch schwinn and im not that familure with the torker. The only problem I had with the schwinn is that the seat adjustments are bolted onto certain lengths and you cannot finely adjust it to a certain length, with the torker you can. Also with the schwinn the pedals that come with the unicycle break really easily, they may have fixed this by now.
As for the weather problem once you master your unicycle you will be able to do almost any terrain/weather condition possible, and you will think its fun! Unicyclist can do alot more than most people think (browse the gallery and the web and check out what people are doing on their unicycles).
Unicycle.com does not charge tax (as with most things you order online) but shipping they do. They may charge tax if you live in the same state as unicycle.com im not to sure about that. As for shipping they do have a shipping cost calculator on every product page, so just add that to the cost of the unicycle and there is your total.
Hope this helps and good luck!

Fantastic! Thanks for the comprehensive response. I’m glad that the unicycle idea was a good one, and I’m definitely going with the Schwinn.

Thanks again,
Me.

24" is a good size to start w/. I’d recomend of staying well clear of the schwin. Start w/ the Torker DX, LX, or Nimbus II. The later two are better learners and diff crank sizes are less expensive and more sizes.

…and check out the vids on this thread

Schwin!

I have a Schwin and some home made types. I used to ride the Schwin in Butte Montana in the winter in the snow with chains. You can improvise chains with what used to be called toilet chain. I forget exactly how much I used but making half hitches around the tire allows you to use one length of chain to wrap around the tire and not have the chain slip. You need to watch out that the spaces between half hitches doesn’t allow only rubber on the snow or ice or things can slide sideways out from under you. I don’t know how rugged the corcker? is but the Schwin is very rugged. Iv’e even done some off roading on some “hiking” trails in Arizona and its’ still holding together. The problem with the seat post having set holes I’ve not noticed. The only thing I dont’ like about the Schwin is the crank mounting system on mine. It’s old though I’ve had it since I was ten which was about 40 years ago.

i am riding a schwin and i think it is ok for a beggineers unicycle but as soon as you start to do drops or take it off road it will start to break. Mine is falling apart so im going to buy a nimbus II.

Good move with the nimbus my friend and if that doesn’t work, go with the LX or DX. :wink: :smiley: :wink:

Kinda wishing i had picked up a nimbus II when i started out. My ‘friends’ would’ve been more thankful. Regardless, Nimbus II is an excellant uni. My vote is for Nimbus, can’t go wrong.

shit you go to Hogwarts?

Hehehe, what kind of unicycle do you think kids from hogwarts use, like a nimbus 2000 instead of a nimbus two? Quiditch on a unicycle would be cool.

http://www.uk.unicyclist.com/quidditchrules/rules.html

there you go unibuddy :stuck_out_tongue:

Welcome

Welcome to the site, I’m pretty new myself. My unicycle is a Torker 20" LX, it gets me around but is a lot tougher to go fast. If you want speed I wouldn’t suggest it. However it is a great unicycle for beginners. Welcome to the world of unicycling

Jeez! They have rules and everything! I REALLY want to try playing it now. Sonds M-Azing!

As to which unicycle to get, I would say the 24 inch DX.

Dude, quiditch on a unicycle must be awesome! I wish there were a unicyclist besides me in my area. :frowning:

im new too but i have a torker lx 24" and it can pretty good distances when i head to collage im going to get another uni though not sure what one yet
have fun !