New to the sport - -

Hey everyone! My name’s Devin and I just began unicycling today!

I’m already an avid fixed-gear bike rider, and have had the bug to ride a unicycle for quite some time now. I just broke down and used my employee discount at Performance to pick up a 20" Torker Unistar LX, and I’ve been having a blast!

So far, I’ve been hit and miss with riding any degree of distance, but I’ve had some luck freemounting now and then. I can ride maybe 15 meters, and then in my next try I pedal twice and fall. Does anyone have any tips on making my riding any more consistent? Sure, it’s my first day, but any help is appreciated.

Any suggestions on pain relating to the saddle? It’s comfortable enough, but if I fall off forward or put too much pressure down, it hurts the twins. :wink: Perhaps cycling shorts? Codpiece? Chastity belt?

Thanks in advance - -
Devin

Here’s what I do to avoid hurting ‘the twins:’
When you’re on the uni, do a temporary still stand while holding a wall (a stillstand is when you’re standing up with both pedals horizontal). Then push the seat back behind you a bit, then pull it forward. This will put all of your stuff in front, where they can’t get hurt.

Snug fitting cycling shorts are the way to go. They’ll keep the twins tucked up out of the way.

Once you learn to ride and have good control you’ll be able to do the little maneuver that James Potter described. With that maneuver you can ride with briefs or boxers or even completely naked and get the twins out of the way. You can even do that little maneuver while riding or as part of a freemount. But while you’re trying to learn to ride it’s not going to be an easy maneuver to do. You’ll do much better with the cycling shorts.

Re: New to the sport - -

On Fri, 22 Oct 2004 21:36:02 -0500, “devicycle” wrote:

>Hey everyone! My name’s Devin and I just began unicycling today!
Welcome to the group!

>So far, I’ve been hit and miss with riding any degree of distance, but
>I’ve had some luck freemounting now and then. I can ride maybe 15
>meters
Some luck freemounting and sometimes riding 15 metres? Very good for a
first day! Must be your fixed/gear bike background.

>Does anyone
>have any tips on making my riding any more consistent?
Tip #1: Practice more. You’re going great. And tip #2: consciously put
your weight on the seat, as opposed to on the pedals.

Pedals for pedaling, seat for sitting, Kerry for president!

(Oops that just escaped me.)

Klaas Bil - Newsgroup Addict

“I (…) made it without dying, which means mere mortals can do it. - John Foss”

Re: New to the sport - -

The best advice is never wear boxer shorts no matter how good a rider
you think you are. You not only have to get the twins up out of the
way, but you have to keep them there, which boxers are not good at.
The biking shorts suggested are good, but if you don’t care for that
look you can just get a lightweight swim/jog supporter to wear under
your boxers. A little adjustment may still be necessary to get the
twins in a comfortable position when you mount, but once you’ve done
that they will tend to stay out of harms way.

:slight_smile:

Thanks for the support guys! (no pun intended),

If you say I’m doing well enough for my first day, that’s the confidence booster I need. Too bad it’s raining today… :confused: