New to the sport...

I picked up a fairly cheap used Cycle Design the other day. I know this is not a quality uni, but I thought it best to start with something I wasn’t going to worry about when I dismount in an unintended fashion.

I’ve read a bunch on different ways to learn, and it seems most people favor the “rail support method.” I don’t have a rail support handy, so I’m going to put one together with some spare wood. Until then, I’m just getting up and getting down.

My question is that the seat I have does not appear to have a readily identifiable front or back. The mount on the bottom of the seat is situated closer to one end than the other - but not sure if that end is the front or back. Any thoughts?

look at the frame. there should be a slit so that u can tighten it and the slit should be at the back.

Well i can’t help on the seat which way is which but MAKE SURE you pedle with your right foot on the right pedal. to make it easy to know which is the right and left, find out and then look at the which way the seat clamp is facing, remember this, and always ride and mount the right way.

Also, for figuring out the front and rear. Look at the threaded end of the pedal that goes into the crank. At the end, you will see a stamped letter R or a stamped letter L. Right should match your right foot and the L should match your left foot.

You can use a fence, wall, light pole or even a parking meter to start. Keep practicing and you will get it.

Good luck.

Many will disagree on this, it seems to be somewhat controversial method, but for me, SKI POLES was the way to learn. Way fewer unplanned dismounts (UPDs), I could start from anywhere (no pole, wall or other support needed), and I was able to ride longer and farther with them. It sounds like a lot of work for you to build wood rails. If you don’t have ski poles, probably two broom handles with holes drilled to hold webbing straps would do.

I learned by mounting against a wall then launching into the void.

You need a smooth flat surface and about 5 - 10 metres of space.

A friend who posts here learned in more or less the same way.

Then when you get to be able to ride more than 10 metres or so, it’s just a matter of practising and setting goals.

Have fun.

Re: New to the sport…

It sounds like you have the ‘Savage’ type seat - mounted on an axis so
that it can tip back and forward, unless the clamp is really tight,
with a 1/4" metal frame on the outside. Horrible - maybe just get a
replacement (they are heavy and uncomfortable and tend to rock at
inconvenient times).

But it doesn’t matter much which way round you use it. As you say,
both ends look pretty much the same. Probably have the clamp ahead of
the seatpost, so that the seatpost leans slightly to the rear when the
uni is upright.

On Sep 21, 9:15 am, jason13
<jaso...@NoEmail.Message.Poster.at.Unicyclist.com> wrote:
>
> My question is that the seat I have does not appear to have a readily
> identifiable front or back. The mount on the bottom of the seat is
> situated closer to one end than the other - but not sure if that end is
> the front or back. Any thoughts?
>

Re: New to the sport…

It sounds like you have the ‘Savage’ type seat - mounted on a
transverse axis so that it can tip, unless the clamp is really
tight, with a 1/4" metal frame on the outside. Horrible - maybe just
get a replacement (they are heavy and uncomfortable and tend to tip at
inconvenient times).

But it doesn’t matter much which way round you use it. As you say,
both ends look pretty much the same. Probably have the clamp ahead of
the seatpost, so that the seatpost leans slightly to the rear when the
uni is upright.

On Sep 21, 9:15 am, jason13
<jaso...@NoEmail.Message.Poster.at.Unicyclist.com> wrote:
> My question is that the seat I have does not appear to have a readily
> identifiable front or back. The mount on the bottom of the seat is
> situated closer to one end than the other - but not sure if that end is
> the front or back. Any thoughts?

How about posting a picture of your uni, then people can see what it looks like. I learned riding with one hand sliding along a stone wall. Good luck with learnig!

I’ve used the wall method, and the chain link fence method. I either case, wear gloves of some sort to protect your hands. Once you can do consecutive revolutions, the wall or fence can be skimmed with your palm for support. This worked well for me.

Cheers!

Cr