New to Ottawa

I just moved to Ottawa at the beginning of May for a summer coop job and was recently informed by a local bike shop employee that Ottawa is a great place to get together with people to go unicycling. He also referred me to this website. I started unicycling, trials style, last Fall using my roommates uni and I really enjoyed it. I’m working my way into becoming level 3. I was hoping that some of the local unicyclists could give me some more info on how and where to get together with other people to go unicycling.

As of now I don’t have my own unicycle, but I am looking into buying one. I would have to borrow an extra uni until I have made up my mind.

Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Pretty much everything you need is in this thread here. I am sure more people will come and give you better info though. =p

Hey I’m one of the people that tends to ride alot in Ottawa, I live in the west end by algonquin. I’m curious though as to which bike shop gave you the link here?

Also if you are in the west end I could probably let you use my piece of crap uni, it works but its not the most comfortable one.

Welcome to Ottawa! It’s too bad you didn’t get on the forum earlier, you could have come out to the trials competition we had a couple of weeks ago. It would have been a great opportunity to meet all the local riders.

As Jerrick mentioned, that thread is the one to watch for the organized group rides.

A few of us also hang out at the Nanaimo Park Juggling club. In the summer when the weather is nice there’s a park outside the community center for some easy trials practice. Lately I’ve been doing a lot of BC wheel riding there. Anyway, all the pertinent details about the club can be found here: http://carlroth.net/nanaimoparkjugglers/

Hope to see you out riding!

J

Nanaimo? I have been up there for a Bungee Jumping trip, got a VIP pass, so I dont have to pay $100 for a jump. I also did the Big Swing, that was fun, got it all recorded, I should post it up someday.

Then there was Nanaimo Bars, everything liked them but said they were too rich for them, so ate about 5 of them, dang those things are good!!!

Once I plan to go on another trip up there, im brining my unis, trials and an old learner, cause ill be able to bring it on the bungee jump. =p Hopefully I can make it down for a ride wwith you guys too.

Nanaimo? I have been up there for a Bungee Jumping trip, got a VIP pass, so I dont have to pay $100 for a jump. I also did the Big Swing, that was fun, got it all recorded, I should post it up someday.

Then there was Nanaimo Bars, everything liked them but said they were too rich for them, so ate about 5 of them, dang those things are good!!!

Once I plan to go on another trip up there, im brining my unis, trials and an old learner, cause ill be able to bring it on the bungee jump. =p Hopefully I can make it down for a ride wwith you guys too.

Jerrick: Its also a small park here in Ottawa :P. I’ve been to Nanimo Brittish Coloumbia (sp?).

sjc_23: Welcome! Ottawa has a very… uh… interesting Unicycling community. Check out that thread that Jerrick posted. Where abouts in Ottawa do you live anyway? The people in that thread meet downtown (city hall). Hope to see you around sometime!

Hey guys, thanks for all the info. I’ll definately have to check out Nanaimo park; sounds like fun.

I’m not sure of the exact name of the bike shop, but its on Bank St. If you are going up Bank starting from the Southkeys area it is the second bike shop that you pass. Its really close to the Grey Hound bus station. I also remember a place called the Silver Snail being close by.

I live in Southkeys near the strip mall, which contains Future Shop, Staples, Galaxy Theatre, etc.

Just wondering, how often do people get together to ride at city hall, using that other thread? Is it like once a week? I’ll keep an eye out for updates.

I’m pretty much down for doing any type of riding, I just need to make sure I can borrow an extra uni. :o If any of you want to get together to go for a ride, just let me know. Thanks again.