New shoe review - 5.10 Impact Hightop Freerides

I’ve had 661 Duallys for about a year now and I really like them, grips the pedal really well and protects the ankle bones without being too high to restrict movement. They also have a pouch you can tuck your laces into to keep them out the way.

They have a new 2006 model with stickier rubber sole but I havent tried these.

Zappos is a pretty good place to deal with, too–they never charge shipping either direction. I’ve bought a few pairs from them just to try them on, and sent back several. They charge a little more than some other places–in this case, $5–but for the ability to try them on and send them back if I don’t like them at no cost makes it worthwhile.

Just a follow-up: I ordered a pair of these from Zappos (I tried my LBS and climbing shops first–go local when possible!), Tuesday night, and got them today. Comfy! I won’t get to trail test them for a few days, but will report when I do. I really like the high top design. My ankles get a little beat up by the cranks when I hop (I have 06 KHs, so I can’t imagine what a nubbed setup would do to me!), so I hope this takes care of it. I can now retire my 5 year old Vans–some old ones from when they still made BMX shoes with stiff soles and the same style of tongue as these new shoes have.

i have pair of these and they are hands down the best muni shoe i have worn. My only complaint is that the toebox is a bit too roomy. I would prefer the same shoe with a lace to toe option. More like the 5.10 approach shoes. I find that with upd’s my forefoot moves around too much.

i’ve been preaching the benefits of the duallys for a couple years now. they totally rock.

Yep! I’ve had my new pair for a few days now and have used them on three Muni rides so far, and I have to concur, they’re nice!:smiley: I may still buy the 5.10 Impact Hightop Freerides, but the dually’s were only $39; $40 less than the other brand.

As mentioned, I had problems with the dots on the soles snagging on the pedal pins so I had a cobbler mill the soles flat, slapped on an 1/8 inch flat climbing sole over that and I’m in bid-ness. That’s a lot of time and some dough but I’d goten so used to riding with flat-soled Vans that I couldn’t switch over the dot-matrix sole without pitching off my Muni every ten feet. I’ve got the hightop 5.10 which seems a little clunky so I’m wondering if the lowtop model might be nicer.

JL

I’d like say that i whole-heartedly support these shoes. I used to go through a pair of bmx shoes every 2 months, and i’ve had my 5.10 low impacts for abour 8 months. they’re getting a bit worn, but they’re still the best shoes i’ve ever owned for riding.

vivalargo- If you find them too grippy, try removing a few pins on your pedals.

As far as the fit goes, I found them to be a little on the large side too.

I actually liked these shoes so much, that i tried to get a sponsorship through 5.10, but they never returned the email :frowning:

Anyways, they’re sick shoes, i can’t say enough good things about them… especially for trials.

-Ryan

So I had a chance to ride with my new five-tens (hightop version) a couple days ago, and I came away impressed with them. They’re pretty comfortable, with a stiff enough sole to pedal efficiently without foot fatigue–something that I’ve noticed when just messing around wearing old skool Vans. I also loved the padded ankles and support; I didn’t have any sore spots on my ankles as I usually do. The one thing I’ll have to get used to is the stickiness of the soles; John’s right that they’re hard to rearrange once on the pedal, but I was figuring it out by the end of the ride. I’m also guessing that by this summer I’ll have some hot feet, but we’ll see. Anyway, even if $85 seems steep, it’s not–I always paid around that for running shoes (and much more for basketball shoes back in the day!). Worth the entry fee, definitely.

In just got the same hightops myself but I’m only wearing them in the house for a few days tomake sure the fit is good and stuff; if not I can return them for a refund. I also just recently bought the 661 Dually’s (2005 version) but after just one Muni ride the skin on top of one of my toes was rubbed off! The toe area wasn’t deep enough so I’m gettting them stretched at my local shoe repair so hopefully that will fix the problem.:smiley: