New quax 36: first 36-er unicycle for me

Some ISIS trial bike cranks come in 160mm lengths (look for Echo, ZHI, Meta, etc). Being in the UK where trials is a bit more popular might help.

Another option is to buy Sinz 160mm cranks and grind off the crank spider.

koxx-one makes160 cranks that are ISIS

Grindings not an option, but, I guess trials bikes don’t have spiders do they? So that could be a good source.

Would that be these-

http://www.unicycle.uk.com/unicycle-parts/cranks/koxx-aluminium-lightweight-isis-cranks-160mm.html

I assumed that with them being 10-splined they wouldn’t fit a quax hub- not that I’ve counted the splines on my hub- for some reason I thought they were 8-splined?

Link is broke,
and is your 36 isis?
if so any isis crank will fit

Don’t know why the links not working for you- it’s fine for me.

Are all ISIS 10 spline then?

With a little time on the saddle this could b u

Yes, those are ISIS cranks. Old Qu-Ax splined hubs may have been 8-splined, but newer ones are ISIS (which has 10 splines). Since you were able to put Venture ISIS cranks on your hub you have an ISIS hub.

It’s a sunny day in Sheffield :slight_smile: so I’m heading out for trip no.3 on the 36-er. As I was pumping up the tyre to my accustomed 40psi that I use on all my unis, I noticed the tyre said 32psi max.

Has anyone used the tyre that comes stock with the quax marathin at pressures higher than 32psi? Is there likely to be a problem with leaving it at 40psi?

Also noticed that the valve stem lacks the usual screw band retainer that most valves have where they enter the rim- is this normal for the quax 36, or, do I need to get one?

Thanks in advance for any help.

It’ll be interesting to see if I can roll mount the thing first time- last night went out for an hour on the 29-er, which I expect may have ‘de-adjusted’ my feel.

Yes all ISIS are 10 spline

Still liking it? I think the tire on it is a wheel TA, if it is, you may be able to search on it. Seems like I remember reading mixed reviews on it.

How are you liking the seat so far? Sounds like overall quality is pretty good? Frame flex seem to be an issue at all?

I’m still torn as to which one I wanna get. Every time I think I make up my mind, I think another would be better. There’s components from all three of the less expensive 36er’s out there, that I wish you could just smash into one super awesome, perfect 36er.

Switched the seat to the Nimbus I’ve used on my 26-er for the past year, as the Quax seat was rubbing on longer rides.

No issues with frame flex.

Though the 165mm cranks feel a bit long on the flats, I’m inclined to stick with them for now as I like the extra control, and I think they’re probably necessary for the hills.

I spoke today to Sheffields other 36 rider, and he’s been using 150’s, but reckons that he couldn’t handle the downhills if he didn’t have a brake.

Done several rides over the past few days, a couple of them 1.5 hours.

Due to the reappearance of the plantar issue (muscle running under the foot) on my right foot, which was triggered off by the landings from failed free-mount attempts on the 36, I’ve pretty much abandoned free-mounting for now. I’m definitly wanting to get free-mounting down, but not until I’m happy that I’m not going to be making the injury worse.

So I’ve been mounting with the aid of lamposts, walls etc, which, in sheffield are plentiful.

I did find myself on a slight downhill yesterday, and attempted a free mount to see if a decline helped, and it seemed to- landed a jump-mount first time.

The main problem with the jump mount is that 50% of the time, my mounting foot is imperfectly placed on the pedal- today I did try a couple of jump-mounts and tried riding off with the foot misplaced and then gradually wriggling it into place. Feels a bit dodgy, but, it did work, and I’m thinking it’s maybe something I’m just going to have to get used to?

I’m definitly enjoying the 36-er- not ridden any of my smaller wheels over the past few days: I’m pretty sure now that I’m going to hang on to it.

That’s awesome! Good to hear. Making my decision harder… :roll_eyes:

Does it have a 25.4" seatpost do you know?

I use the standard mount and still can’t get my foot in the right place every time on my 29er. Admittedly, only had it a week, but the “wiggle the foot around to try to get to the right spot” method is all I can come up with too.

Sometimes it’s so far off that I’m just not comfortable riding away so I dismount and try again, but I’m trying to avoid that as I find the mounting process much more tiring than riding and 30 free mounts on the way up a mile long hill because I’m being ‘fussy’ just wear me out too much :smiley:

I blame the grippy pedals and the excellent hiking shoes - very tricky getting the foot to slide around on top :stuck_out_tongue:

Same here and even harder to wriggling foot around with my new Five Ten Impact shoe rather than my old Nike skateboard sneaker. :frowning:

I’ve been using a static mount since I got my 36 two and a half weeks ago and find that it works pretty well for me. That way at least one foot is on the pedal correctly. Also, I got a UDC Titan that comes with cheap plastic pedals ($10 US), but the nice thing is that I can slide my feet around much more than on pinned pedals. For learning purposes that seems like a good thing. I’m not sure what the Qu-ax came with pedal wise but it might be worth it to swap to some cheap-o pedals if it makes learning easier.

Yes, it does.

I can’t even recall what it came with, as I took them off and put the metal pedals with pins I’d been using on my 26er. I’m pretty sure it came with plastic pedals.

It would definitly be easier to shift the foot around with plastic pedals, but I stopped using them way back, when I discovere that they’re bad in the wet.

Might give them a go, but, for developing a viable free mount, it’s essential that I learn to do it with metal pedals I think.

At the moment free mounting is a low priority, till my foot recovers. Till them I’m just going to have a good time riding the thing, and take full advantage of the many lamp posts and walls- they certainly take a lot of stress out of inner city 36er riding :slight_smile:

And, I am very much enjoying the 36er- while it is a bit unwieldy in the city, I have definitly come to appreciate the unique feel of the big wheel.

I think you hit the nail on the head. Just focus on having a good time. I went at the 36 with the idea that I would be happy just to spend some time trying to get on it. I was overjoyed just to find out I could ride it at all. So, whenever I try it, I’m happy.