New Pedals

Never used one, don’t think you need one.
You can get a bit of a mark where the pedal screws into the cranks, but those really are not a concern - aesthetically you have to get very close to see that, functionally it doesn’t matter.

3 Likes

Functionally it doesn’t matter? From an internet search it seems to have a function. Whether its a significant value or not is probably debatable.

EDIT: Yeah, a quick search tells you it has function, but sure, it’s not going to make a metric ton of difference for most parts.

Seeing that most bicycles and unicycles are totally fine without one, I don’t think there is much of a debate there.

(Talking about pedal washers specifically, not washers in general. They are important if you have high clamping forces in soft metal - on a pedal clamping forces are low for the fastener size)

2 Likes

I’m good with that. We just bought new Trek bikes and I was surprised the pedals didn’t have washers.

EDIT: oh and I think you helped solve my crank problem! Thank you.

2 Likes

What a relief! I didn’t want to buy more stuff.

It seems that pedal washers are highly recommended with carbon cranks (not a unicycle issue) and pedals with a narrow shoulder. None of my uni’s have any washers.

2 Likes

WOW!!! :exploding_head: What a difference these pedals make! They make the unicycle easy to ride! :sunglasses: :partying_face: :man_dancing:

I am going to replace the pedals on my other unicycle with these. I will need to get a different color though.

1 Like

The function is to keep the mating surfaces from galling and seizing together. So if you do not plan on changing out your pedals every ride I think you should be OK !

1 Like

I got a pair of black ones… that doesn’t really help much with the color variation question but I am very pleased with them. I wanted something with more grip than the plastic pedals that come on a club but I also was worried about gashing my shins or calves open with the metal pinned pedals that come on the nimbus munis. I got exactly what I was looking for with these pedals, they feel good, have great grip and I feel safer using them. I want to get another set for my club now I think as well.

1 Like

I just donated a box of pedals to a local bike charity that builds bikes for disadvantaged kids. Some were pedals that came on my uni’s, some that I tried And did not like along with a few that left nasty snake bites. I have tried some different brands and settled on the fixation gates and Odyssey pedals, both very similar. These are not top of the line but for the type of riding I do they are nice and have just enough grip and still allow me to adjust my footing. I put them on all of my unicycles and my mountain bike, I did this to have consistency in the feel of all my pedals which makes free mounting and pedal adjusting easier in my experience .Note they may not be tough enough for serious muni or trials. They are also very affordable and come in some fun colors.

1 Like

I just read the whole discussion about pedal washers, which was very interesting. In the 40+ unicycles I have or used to have, the number of them that had pedal washers is zero. But I can see where they might be useful:

To protect cranks from pedals that might dig into them (especially if you change out pedals a lot)
To protect the threads in alloy cranks with a little extra contact area
To add a bit of Q-factor to your pedal stance

For most unicyclists, the width of two washers won’t make a noticeable difference in riding, whereas for someone who races bikes, or cranks out tons of miles/kilometers a week, it may matter. Also, in general unicyclists prefer less Q-factor, unless they’re worried about accidental gear changes or catching their heel on the crank. Even then, a washer probably doesn’t make enough of a difference.

2 Likes