New "open channel" Coker Saddle!

I did an internet search for 3 way stretch vynal and yep, I found a vynal wholesaler in Australia that could supply me. I used contact glue and a heat gun. The heatgun dried the glue quickly and softened the vynal even more so it was then a matter of pregluing, heating, stretching and finally placing. It took an afternoon and some beers.

Ok, here’s my THIRD and what I’m hoping will be my last seat mod. I took off the original cover, thinking that it does nothing to add comfort. Its cheif purpose it to protect the foam from wearing.

So I sprayed the foam with 3M spray adhesive, and took a piece of lighweight bike shirt material (the type that wicks away sweat) and form-fit it to the saddle foam. I came out beautiful and the channel is nicely defined. Talk about skin tight!

I also stapled it on the under side of the seat for added assurance that it will stay on. My only thought it that it might “squish” around while riding and start to come off; I’ll be finding out soon enough. Sure looks great; almost as if I just painted the foam black! (I also used the adhesive to stick the foam back onto the base)

DSC02932.JPG

DSC02931.JPG

wow that looks great.

Thanks. Looking at fabric in the channel, I realize I didn’t spray on enough adhesive in there to make it stick down completely, and I thought that short of removing the cover, how would I get more glue in there?

Then it dawned on my that I can take a little red tube-like the one that you get with wd40- and stick it through the fabric (it’s stretchy enough to fit it through without having to cut it) and spray some more down the middle! But then again it’s probably fine the way it is. :smiley:

So Terry, did you remove any foam from the original seat?

Or is that the shape of the Fusion foam, and I just can’t tell because of the seat cover?

Edit: How many freaking pianos do you have in your house, anyway?

Nope, just used the original foam intact.

That’s the shape.

Lol! I have two of my own and the one’s you saw in the pic are in my shop. I have three right now that I’m selling; Here’s one ad: http://losangeles.craigslist.org/wst/msg/627569099.html

Wow, that last one looks great Terry. Looks nice and clean.

Just wondering, since the original fusion cover is bigger than the current one, couldn’t you use that cover and the extra material will just help better define the channel?

Unfortunately it doesn’t. And the second mod (just before this current one) where I added the center strip was the older, larger fusion cover! Today I took it out for a test ride and put in about 10 miles and I must say I noticed a positive improvement in comfort!

I could defifnitely feel that the open channel was providing the necessary relief in that area, and the wicking material had the added benefit of keeping things cool!

It also held its shape perfectly and did not deform in any way. I guess the test that counts ill be the bif half century ride this Sunday!:smiley:

Terry, your third (last?) design looks very good. Now that you have more cover material, you could put that plastic strip with the screws back in, to ensure that the channel stays fully open even if you compress the seat. Regardless, keep us updated on how it works this Sunday on your half century ride.

If I may say, your quality of workmanship probably surpasses your knowledge on fysiology. Last time I looked (huh?), the urethra was not conducting blood but urine. But please not during your ride! So compressing the urethra during the ride should not matter in itself. It’s the blood vessels, and likely the nerves just as much, that run in your crotch more or less parallel to the urethra that you want to relieve. Hey, just nagging.

Lol! You are right, I stand corrected; it’s actually pressure on the Perineum that cuts off blood flow and causes the numbness. :o

Or the common word for the Perineum, the “taint”.

Pimped out and ready to roll! (with my new nameplate!) :sunglasses:

So how did the seat perform for you?

thats cool, i knew there was a reason for the back pieces on the T7, now if you get caught by a speed camera they know who you are:p

Beyond my expectations! It now seems that “simple” is best. The kh fusion freeride foam, covered with a breathable, knit fabric that is smooth, thin and light as a feather and apparently durable. It could rip or snag, but so far so good. And if it does, it’s a snap to replace it.

It seems to me that the standard vinyl cover’s only real functional purpose is to hold the foam in place and protect it from wear, but it’s heavy, non-breathable and adds nothing to comfort. It also stretches tight over the channel rendering it utterly useless!

And after 50 miles, I think I can safely say that this current configuration is the most comfy yet!:smiley:

Beyond my expectations! It now seems that “simple” is best. The kh fusion freeride foam, covered with a breathable, knit fabric that is smooth, thin and light as a feather and seemingly durable.

It seems to me that the standard vinyl cover’s only real functional purpose is to hold the foam in place and protect it from wear, but it’s heavy, non-breathable and adds nothing to comfort. It also stretches tight over the channel rendering it utterly useless!

And after 50 miles, I think I can safely say that this current configuration is the most comfy yet!:smiley:

Sorry for the double post; the forums were down a while ago, because I clicked to post the message but nothing happened, so I kept clicking lol! Glad it didn’t post as many times as I clicked!:o

The saddle looks like a great innovation and worthwhile project,will it still perform on a rainy wet ride or is this unchartered territory.

Don’t worry about the double post Terry. Check out my multiple post over in the equipment review section… My browser locked up after pressing post and it stayed frozen for like 4 minutes. The result is like 9 identicle posts. Oh well, at least it got my thread to 2 pages!!!

Well, by complete coincidence, the saddle is pretty waterproof since the underside is coated with 3m contact adhesive! To confirm this, I poured some water over it and it bounced right off! But even if it wasn’t waterproof, the foam seems to be.:smiley:

DSC02996.JPG