New odd ball build!

That rim is really pretty wild :slight_smile: ā€“ I do like your matching Mavic hub ā€“ does Mavic know they exist :wink:

Hi DrD,

Painting the frame black sure has brought the yellow out some more!!

I did think the hub needed a little touch so sorry to nimbus/mavic.

I am super pleased with how well it came out and mostly by how well it rides.

Hows you and are you getting out riding much?

Greetings m00ms

I was just winding you up on the ā€˜Mavicā€™ hub, it is pretty neat and a nice touch, you make a good job of these things. It has all turned out pretty well.

If Mavic really did make unicycle hubs, Iā€™d have one ordered as soon as I could, the same with Hope (well, more so with Hope to be honest!) ā€“ Iā€™m quite partial to some nice CNCā€™ed aluminium!

I actually spent some time on my KH20 last Sunday, in between the deluges of rain ā€“ it was the first time in weeks. I ended up practicing some new things, nothing special, just basic stuff, trying to develop some skills.

Hey DrD i knew you was only joking on the hub so fear not and thanks for the positive comments on my builds, i think build wise i have all i need currently which is a shame as i do enjoy building unicycles.

I am with you on nice machined aluminuim as the steel hub is rather crude when you look at it close up so its a shame we cant get aluminium disc hubs unless i have failed to find one.

Thats great you getting out as you cant beat a 20" for fun and practice, what are you working on? i built a 20" equinox pro last lockdown as an idling treat which now i am trying for backwards on , i made good early progress but seam to of stalled now but i will persevere.

What is this?

Mad4one used to have aluminium CNC hubs - turns out it doesnā€™t work for Muni/Trials applications when you use ISIS. (Because itā€™s a standard created with steel as a material in mind), and they never really got the 6 pin system (which apparently worked slightly better at least) to take off. There are still some aluminium Isis hubs for freestyle you can buy new out there.

Steel axles with aluminium flanges were common (Nimbus, KH), but turned out to sometimes develop creaking noises because the flanges and the spindle had some movement relative to each other, and the flanges failed from fatigue. Qu-ax still produces their axles that way, and they seem to have gotten on top of the creaking issues. Iā€™ve also seen a failed Q-axle flange, but Iā€™m willing to guess that the wheel had pretty high spoke tensions (as with most failed aluminium flanges).

Iā€™ll take the not so sexy but cheap and reliable steel hubs please.

I have one of these on my 29" Oracle and a few spokes have broken out of the flange. Iā€™ve just got a steel Mad4One hub to replace it. Iā€™ve got a 125mm aluminium hub on my Hatchet (and AFAIR my 32" Oracle), I got hold of that before I saw the 29" Oracle one had failed. Iā€™ve got a steel hub for the Hatchet too if it fails. Ed Pratt also had his Nimbus aluminium hub fail on his trip, my stuff wonā€™t see the same fatigue as Edā€™s for sure, so hopefully it will be okay.

With respect to the CNCā€™ed aluminium I was really meaning the Hope bike parts, Iā€™m getting some new bits for a gravel bike just now and have been watching some YouTube videos from Hope where they are machining their components. I just find watching CNC machines, whether lathes or milling machines, absolutely captivating. So I get sucked inā€¦ as marketing material it certainly works on meā€¦

Firstly just mounting with my wrong foot, that has always felt so, so, strange to me, but I made some progress there. I was also trying mounting with the seat out front and also spent some time riding to a standstill for as long as I could, then riding off. As I said, just basic things to try to get back into the groove of practising stuff.

It would appear that there is isis disc hubs out there then but they appear to be a poor choice so it would look like steel was the better choice then even thou I couldnā€™t find one.

I can do wrong foot freemounts but Iā€™ve never understood the need, if you ride a push bike you always get on/off the same one side so why should it be different for unicycles?

Any riding is great and good fun so its excellent you have aims and targets :grinning:

For your ā€œwrong footā€ or ambidextrous mounts there definitely is a need in muni.
When you mount on a traversing slope, for example, itā€™s much easier to mount and dismount with the downhill side foot.

Iā€™m gonna bet you would follow the same principle on a mountainbike too. For both mounting and dismounting.

For road riding youā€™re probably right about not having to be ambidextrous because the terrain flat most of the time.

Hi canoeheadted,

For me i come from riding both push bike and motorbikes since i was little young and always got on/off from the left. On motorbikes you are governed by the stand and with push bikes i did full on downhill mtb where the only time i dismounted was when i crashed! i dont recall the need to get of ever got back on from ā€œwrongā€ side.

So far my muni has been i would say tame but the time might come up to do a ā€œwrongā€ one.

@m00ms, nice! To be sure. I also like to do as you do. Iā€™ve actually finally got myself a reasonably decent unicycle that I put together from new parts (except the saddle and peddles), as opposed to my old ā€œFrankenuniā€. Oh, this is so good to ride. I think my sonā€™s is a better ride, but I am so pleased with this unicylce.

Thanks for posting updates, and your final build on this uni! Youā€™ve done a terrific job!

Happy building and riding!

Dawson

Hi Dawson and thanks for your positive comments on my build, Iā€™m really happy with it as I like the speed of it being a 27.5 and being light and tubeless itā€™s fun to throw around and it idles like a smaller wheel plus looks wise it gets lots of attention.

Iā€™ve seen your build which looks great, did you go for 26ā€ wheel in your 27.5 frame ? I didnā€™t realise the qx series frame came with rim brake mounts.

m00ms

Yes, I did that because I had a 26" rim lying around and badly wanted to get riding again. The only other option I have is the FrankenUni that currently has no wheel. I could put my old 24" built around a cotterless hub that has four broken spokes on it (three of them I ā€œfixedā€ using longer spokes which I wrapped around the hub), one more recently broken.

Iā€™m on the lookout for a 27.5" rim locally, and I might have found something. Then Iā€™ll take this wheel apart to scavange the new ISIS hub. The idea is that I could then make use of the rim brake.

Dawson

Thats great you have managed to get it built so you can get riding and fingers crossed for the 27.5 rim.
Do you have a rim brake for it ? I have an almost new promax rim brake that is just collecting dust I would not want a lot for if its any use to you.

Hey @m00ms I hadnā€™t heart about that brand before. Is is compatible with Magura? I looked on their website and all I saw on it were regular bike type brakes, and disc brakes.

Dawson

I donā€™t think promax is a very well known brand and it is relatively cheap. I had it on a quax 24 then sold the unicycle but kept the brake. Not sure if itā€™s compatible with other brands but I have the whole set up, are you uk based?

Nah. I live in Canada.

Promax is the kind of brand youā€™ll find on the upper end of department store bikes or the lower end of bike shop bikes. Itā€™s not bottom of the barrel, but its built to a lower price point.

Not sure on shipping costs from uk to Canada but I imagine it could be worth than the second hand brakes worth sadly.

Hi @m00ms Yeah, likely to be the case. Anyway, Iā€™m not in a rush at this point to put a brake on as I need to find a 27.5" rim - used & local that Iā€™m happy with, and then get some spokes for it if the originals arenā€™t going to cut it. Also, at this point I am so stoked with my 26" build right now, it is so encouraging to ride a unicycle that doesnā€™t creek, wobble, feel like it is going to fall apart (like my ā€œFrankenuniā€ which I welded together and the welding came apart the first time). I made it up a couple of hills I have not been able to make it up before. And Iā€™m riding in that ā€œsweet spotā€ more often now, and mounting is getting a bit better too.

Dawson