New Nimbus 36"

He’s holding the normal handle not the T7?

congratulations go to the top of the class

Plumsie

damn.

ya sure its not the capital on Warwick? :stuck_out_tongue:

I hand you a tissue for the creamed pants and a cigarette just because thats what you do after creaming pants, its a bloke thing. has slight amusment value.

Haha to me and my m8s its known as uni sumo!

hmmm Yes caught!

When I am really going for it I prefer the grip as close to the centre of balance as possible. I would normally have one hand on the plastic handle and one on the T7 handle, unless I just cruising then it is both. The photo though is just after the bend while I am going as fast as I am happy to be going… hmmm not fall off speed (Sam)… so I needed my front hand for balance.

Roger

check out the US version. such a beautiful machine…

any guess on what shipping of a 36er fromthe US to AUS would be?

more than the uni itself?

Yes. Nice as it is to have longer handles for cruising, when turning hard or pedaling hard uphill which puts you on the edge of full control, holding the standard handle gives much more firm control. I hadn’t worked that one out when I was racing and was using the longer handle for trickier bits too. Not wise.

I’m still getting used to using these types of extra handles - it’s less easy than it looks.

Sam

Is holding onto the seat handle really an advantage in general, or is it just a preference thing? I always feel more in control with both arms to balance with, even on very steep / difficult inclines where I have to stand up in the pedals.

When going fast on the flat, I like to grip the T7 handles with both hands. I’m trying to get used to riding stably with a bit of pressure on the handles so that I can take some weight off the saddle for a few minutes every so often.

Someone (me?) should start a “distance” section on the unicyclopedia!

For me, if the incline is really steep, it helps to gently pull up on the handle.

Otherwise, I find that being able to ride with both hands on the handle seems to require less exertion, not necessarily because I’m holding onto the handle, but because it forces me to concentrate on pedaling smooth circles while keeping my upper body stationary instead of flailing my arms in the air.

The funny thing is that I ordered a pieced together one from UDC yesterday, and then I noticed the complete Nimbus 36. Nonetheless, my configuration ended up a little cheaper than it would’ve been, I suspect, mostly because I will be installing the brake myself.

I have a ‘Nimbus 36 Low Rider’

I upgraded my TA 360 to a Nimbus 36" frame and T7 handle.

First off my 29" inseam required that I cut the frame neck down. In anticipation of the T7 handle I cut 2" off the neck, which looks to me like the most one should cut off. With a std seat post and 150mm cranks this resulted in an extra inch I could adjust the seat lower.

Yesterday, I received the T7 handle. First tried to mount the T7 with a rail adapter and found the seat too high. So today, plan B. I cut the ends off the bolt plate top of a std seat post, just enough to fit the post inside the rail adapter. Then sandwiched the seat, T7 and seat post together, the bolts of the KH seat were just long enough to hold it together. With a short ride I found that it fit together but heck the seat angle was flat and plain uncomfortable.

So next try I took the seat apart, (Love that KH Fusion tie on seat cover!) and put longer bolts in the seat. Sandwiched the seat to the T7, added two washers on each front bolts to elevate the front of the seat. Then topped things off with the seat post, and nuts. The longer bolts allowed for the washers and additional rotation of the seat to raise the front.

I really like the result. This ‘low rider’ setup is comfortable. With 150 cranks I have about a quarter inch free to lower the seat. Tomorrow I’m gonna cruise.

Some additional details if you should try this:

If you shorten the neck, you need to also cut a slot to allow compression. Be sure to drill a hole on the bottom end to help prevent cracking of the tube. My slot is short, about an inch. I would like to have made it longer, but I don’t think it would be a good idea to go into the transition of the neck to the wider bottom end. You’ll want to use a “low profile” thin seat post clamp so that the slot extends beyond the area covered by the post clamp.

When shorting the bolt plate of the seat post, leave enough metal so the holes remain complete for strength. I took 3-4mm off each end.

For the longer seat bolts (I used 1.5 inch long shank), I used std bolts and nuts with nylon locking inserts on the seat to post. Didn’t use carriage bolts like the original. Even if you find carriage bolts, you probably need to bolt things together before putting the cover back on the seat. Otherwise you may not be able to slip the bolts through all the pieces. I also used slightly larger diameter bolts which fit all the existing holes nicely.

All the destructive changes were made using a hacksaw, drill, and files (rounded and flat). Be sure to file all edges smooth. A bench grinder would have been nice for the seat post trimming. No need for a hammer.

I wanna ride, but it’s dark out side.

Does any 1 know if this monster 36" is coming to Australia??

Thank you :slight_smile:

apparently

uds aus has the frames and airfoil rims

you’d wanna email them tho

Unicycle.com NZ has the Nimbus 36" and T7 Handle in stock. Australia have them also, I believe, but not available for sale yet.

here’s a pic of my Nimbus 36
Specs:
Nimbus 36" frame
Airfoil rim
UDC wide hub
UDC stainless spokes
Quax aluminium 125mm cranks
KH seatpost
CF seat base
Wallis Deathgrip handle

Since this pic was taken I have changed to a KH Fusion Freeride saddle, changed to Twisted Pro plastic pedals and added a Magura brake. The uni weighs less than 8kg.

Here is a pic of my Nimbus 36 beauty, (or rather TA 360 upgraded w/Nimbus frame and T7 handle)

That’s one sweet ride you have there Chrashing, I wonder if anyone has one of these. http://www.unicycle.com/shopping/shopexd.asp?id=85, If so let me know. :smiley: :smiley:

Nimbus 36"

They are not in Australia yet. They are on order so we are just waiting for the shipment to arrive. We are hoping for early December.
Mal
www.unicycle.au.com

Yes, Roger/UDC sure did a great job on this frame and handle design, even have my favorite color.

Funny, riding it for the first time, holding the handle bars felt like I was riding a witches broom stick. I sorta zig-zag around. It is all extremly sturdy, I just need to get accustom to balancing without my arms at my side.