New Lowe's commercial with UniGeezer

I just thought it was funny and LMAO. I guess I don’t take my self very seriously. On the rare occasion someone has a snotty comment, no matter what it is what I hear is " Damn that is cool! :sunglasses: Wish I could do that!:D". Keep it up Terry!

He’s just done a good paint job. He’s feeling confident. So confident that he reckons he’s man enough to sport a fedora hat. Then a geek on a unicycle wearing the same type of hat comes along and identifies with him, shattering his new image, bringing him back down to earth.

Is it bad for unicycling? No, I don’t think so. Unicyclists, including Terry, generally don’t dress like that while riding on a unicycle.

It is what it is. A bit of humor to warm the viewer to the product :smiley:

We all know how awesome Unigeezer is, but does the world know? I think Lowe’s owe at least a few more commercials, maybe it should of started off with a rail grind and with somebody in the background shouting “Hey, it’s Unigeezer!”

Had to smile. Yesterday I had work done on my car and rode my 20 inch to work from the mechanic’s workshop…

… wearing my fedora.

Wow, I think people are reading a little too much into this.

ha! nice job

I had pretty much the same impression. It reminded me of Bill Murray in Groundhog Day running into his old classmate/ insurance salesman and how funny his reaction the third time or so was (guilty pleasure:o ).
Well at least it got people wondering and talking, as a good commercial should - propably much less about the unicycling image amongst non - unicyclists, though.

Maybe Terry can bring some clarity as to what the supposed message was?

I’m happy that most people like it! On this page, for example, I think that post #16, #20 & #21 sum it up pretty well. It was all in good fun and many Lowe’s commercials are humorous, which I appreciate. I didn’t know when filming began, how it would come out, or what version they would use; they had us do a few different versions, including one where I took off MY hat when I saw the guy, and those may also air at some point. I thought it would also have been funny if, after I passed the guy, that he would stop in his tracks, say “hmm” and look up, as if an idea popped into his head, then it would cut to him (“later that day”) coming out of a bike shop riding a uni! :smiley:

I’m happy that most people like it! On this page, for example, I think that post #16, #20 & #21 sum it up pretty well. It was all in good fun and many Lowe’s commercials are humorous, which I appreciate.

I didn’t know when filming began, how it would come out, or which version they would use; they had us do a few different versions, including one where I took off MY hat when I saw the guy, and those may also air at some point.

I thought it would also have been funny if, after I passed the guy, that he would stop in his tracks, say “hmm” and look up, as if an idea popped into his head, then it would cut to him (“later that day”) coming out of a bike shop riding a uni! :smiley:

There is an old adage - “any publicity is good publicity”. The ad raises the profile of unicycling and that is a good thing.

It is not going to make any difference to the cool/fool impressions some have of unicycling no matter how they portray it.

Some will see it and imagine they would like to give it a try.

I loved it! i don’t think it makes unicycling look bad. It makes middle-aged men who can’t figure out how to paint a room look bad. :wink: The guy obviously has confidence issues and was totally derailed by the fedora clad, totally fabulous, overly confident unicyclist.

If we were concerned with our image or what people thought of us we wouldn’t ride unicycles to begin with. The commercial obviously pokes fun at the geekyness of unicycling, but as was mentioned above no such thing as bad publicity.

I love it too. Watched it at least a dozen and a half times, funnier and funnnier each time.

So I called to my 8yr old boy. I say," Remember Unigeezer? Well, he’s on a commercial. Wanna watch?"
“Yeah” Showed him the video.
We both cracked up.
“Again!” He says
We were cracking up even harder
“Again!!”
We nearly rolled on the floor laughing…

7 times, hilarious!
NOW we can’t get it out of our heads…
:D"Fedora Twins!":smiley:

My 8 yr old boy loved it too! We watched it a half a dozen times together. Randomly throughout the day today he’d look at me, grin, and say “fedora twins!” with this totally goofball look on his face.

Okay, if anyone should still struggle, I think this Lowe’s commercial tells basically the same story: A guy improves his home (thanks to Lowe’s), a woman admires his work & further boosts his confidence, so he finally dares something silly he wanted to do for a long time… and immediately gets the wind taken out of him again.

I’m still not sure why a wearing a fedora is considered silly / geeky / etc. (what’s the common association with fedoras??)…

… but having watched that other commercial, one thing’s for sure: UniGeezer is the boss! :o)

I’m sure it was intentional. The guy is feeling all good about himself and cool, and then a geeky guy on a unicycle instantly associates himself to our painter-man, freaking him out. He decides the fedora is not worth being associated with Terry Fedora Peterson. :slight_smile:

Like others have already posted, any uni publicity is generally good publicity. Yes, we have a tendency to be perceived as geeks, or nerds, or dorks. BTW, do you know what “dork” means? It’s what you call a whale penis. For what it’s worth, those things have to be pretty big!

Anyway, the commercial isn’t about the unicycle. The people who should be offended are the much larger fedora-wearing community. They all just got dissed. I expect Lowes to get complaints from them. :stuck_out_tongue:

“Fedora twins!” – it’s the way Terry delivers the line that makes it funny. If the same guy rode by and just said “Nice hat!” it wouldn’t work. Wouldn’t be funny.

Congratulations Terry on getting another mainstream TV commercial gig! I’d love to hear more about the other variations they did on your part in the ad. Like having you both wear the exact same outfits? That would be freaky, but probably confusing. The end product works.

How cool would it be if you could turn into a “Flo” character! It would have to be a different encounter with a different line every time. I’d like to see this one: “Helmet with rag hanging off the back twins! Peace sign!” :smiley:

In the photo below, one can argue the dorkiness. This was waiting for the train from Rome to Venice on our way to Unicon in 2012. My unicycles are inside the luggage.

Thanks for posting. I see a common theme, involving hats…

I did a quick web search on fedoras and found lots of comments about them and the men who wear them these days. Gives you another perspective on it if you’re not familiar with that trend.

Congrats Terry for getting paid to follow your passion. I hope it leads to more TV or movie gigs for you and your unicycle.

Maybe some time Lowe’s will do a version with a women taking on home repairs and the guy being impressed. After her success she could try unicycling and succeeds.

Fedora’s have been around for a very long time. The name comes from Princess Fedora as played by Sarah Bernhardt in 1889.

It was adopted as a symbol by the women’s rights movement of the 19th and early 20th century. Quite appropriate really. We unicyclists are confronting society’s stereotypes by treating unicycling seriously.

The wikipedia page is worth a quick read.

Quite the opposite.

One is supposed to be way cool to have the kudos to wear a Fedora. Among others of status, Micheal Jackson wore a black fedora in the height of his career. He features it in some of his most famous clips. Further back it was a trade mark hat of many gangsters. I suspect Michael built on that connection to bring a badness factor into his videos.

The guy in the ad thought he had achieved something way cool when he impressed his lady with his decorating. Then he met Terry and was reminded he was really quite ordinary and the coolness was a facade sold to him by a salesperson at Lowes.

The immediate message is that you will feel good about yourself if you get your decorating stuff at Lowes because they will tell you how to do it without you needing to be a genius to get it right, like a unicyclist or a master decorator.

The guy takes his hat off because he remembers he isn’t so cool after all when he comes across ultra-cool Terry.

The ultimate unstated punchline is that his lady was impressed that he undertook a decorating task without consulting her and got it right.

The unicyclist aspect is there for the plausibility while the real power of the message is in being able to please the woman when deciding without consultation, which of course we know cannot happen in the real world.:wink: