New KH Adjustable "Rail-Less" Seat Post

I just replaced a standard aluminum Miyata styled seat post with the KH Adjustable “Rail Less” Seatpost. This is essentially the same post as the KH bike post, but the rail clamp has been designed to alleviate the rails. I installed it last night and went for a ride.

Nice job! It does it all with a twist of an allen wrench, adjusts angle far better than a Miyata four hole post, quick, easy, and certainly much lighter than the rail styled post adjustment.

Is it worth $50? Hmmm, maybe if you’re post is trash, you need a longer post, or you’re building a new uni; like me :slight_smile:

http://www.unicycle.com/images/catalog/hardware/seatposts/UP-PO-KHADJ272-C.jpg

How did you put that on a Miyata base?

So with a Thomson post, could I take the top part of it off, then switch it for the top part of a KH post, then be able to use my Thomson with a standard seat?

Muzzle said it worked, not a perfect fit but it worked.

It looks pretty cool but i already have a Thomson. That’d be nice if you could purchase just the top part because I don’t want to waste 50 dollars on a seat post I don’t need.

I bought the new rail-less post and just set it up on a KH freeride seat. The installation took much less time than the rail adapter/rail post ever did. It also feels a lot lighter and less bulky than the rail adapter set up. So far it seems a LOT nicer than having to buy the seat post and rail adapter and dealing with the annoying configuration.

As far as strength goes…I will have to see how it holds up when I take it on some trails.

Next year kh should make his the Thomson post perfectly.

This post is the future of all uni posts.

I like it a lot! With the four bolt attachment without the rail you doing get enough change, then with the rail you get a lot of extra weight, the new post is light and easy to adjust, was able to get a perfect setting on the first ride, easy to chage too. I doubt he’ll sell the top piece only, he probably wants to sell the posts. If I was getting a new post and had another $50, I’d get the rail-less.

It’s certainly not as tough as a Thompson, but how many of us need a Thompson? Looking at the design, I would not be suprised if the adjustment mechanism were more fragile than the post, so maybe this is more of a mild-mod muni/street use only.

Unfortunately, no. The adjustable top portion of the new KH seatpost is integrated into the post itself.

Correction - Muzzle thinks it would work. He hasn’t got his post yet. He’ll no doubt be trying to fit it on a Thomson shortly. I’ve been meaning to try that out too. Got the bits, just haven’t had the time.

As mentioned it does work although not perfectly.

Also, note that on the post part of the '08 KH adjustable post the pieces are now pinned in addition to being bonded, so should be less subject to twisting compared to the '07 model.

Kris

That’s good to hear, because my 07 seatpost was loose at that contact point. Maybe I will pick one up. Thanks!

After looking at a picture of the Thomson Elite I now understand what you guys are all talking about. :o

I’m buying a new “adjustable” seatpost for my 26" Nimbus Oracle with a KH Fusion Freeride saddle. I know that I need a 25.4mm but I need to decide between a Kris Holm Adjustable Post and a Thomson Elite. Assuming $ is no object, which is the better post? Is one easier to work with (I know the KH uses an allen wrench) than the other? Is one more adjustable (I like to point the front of my seat WAY up) than the other?

I’m a loyal UDC customer. And, if UDC carried Hope (instead of Salsa) quick release seatpost clamps my decision (I’d get a KH) would already be made. TreeFortBkes has my Hope clamp and they are matching BkePartsExpress price of $77.99 for a Thomson seatpost. I don’t mind the $27.99 difference (UDC has the KH post for $50) but I do mind something that is going to be a huge hassle and I’ve heard the KH post is really easy to work with. Any advice you might provide would be greatly appreciated.

David, you may know this but it wasn’t clear from your post, you need to buy both the KH and Thomson to be able to use the Thomson post. See this image of the two pieces on the KH post: http://www.unicycle.com/catalog/product/gallery/id/2636/image/6260/ The KH post has the unicycle specific mounting plate you need on the top; the bottom is similar to many bike seat posts. This mean you can take off the top mount and then you can mate it with the bottom post of the Thomson.

David, you may know this but it wasn’t clear from your post, you need to buy both the KH and Thomson to be able to use the Thomson post. See this image of the two pieces on the KH post: http://www.unicycle.com/catalog/product/gallery/id/2636/image/6260/

The KH post has the unicycle specific mounting plate you need on the top; the bottom is similar to many bike seat posts. This mean you can take off the top mount and then you can mate it with the bottom post of the Thomson.

I did NOT know that! Decision made! I’m ordering a KH post now. I might as well suck it up and get the Salsa Quick Release clamps from UDC as well (though I really had my heart set on the “KH Blue” Hope clamp) similar to the one I had on my Impulse which has since been moved to my daughter’s 20" Club. Thanks for the info!

The forged KH adj seat post is for 27.2 only, the original “pinned” KH adj seat post is aailable for 25.4 (Nimbus). I just learned this, which is a real shame, since the only way you can get a Thompson is to buy both posts and combine them, and even then it’s not as good as the KH forged post.

Maybe Kris would be willing to sell the seat base part as an upgrade??

In the adjustable version, both the 25.4 and 27.2 mm posts are available as fully one-piece forged. Since that happened, it’s been pretty rare that people have felt the need to add a Thompson to the mix. The 25.4 version rarely gets purchased by importers, though, so I suspect that older stock is still available.

In the fixed version, the fully one-piece version is available in 27.2 only. The 22.2 and 25.4 versions have a once-piece forged top piece, bonded and double pinned to the tube. Note that in this version the seat post diameter increases as it enters the one-piece forged top piece, and that the new versions are bonded and double pinned. The increased diameter means that the 22.2, 25.4, and pre-one piece 27.2 versions all have the same resistance to twisting. Since the move to bonding & double pinning, failures have been really rare.

Kris

So, the question is: how do I know that the one that I just ordered from UDC USA is not the “older stock”? Are there any special markings that would verify that I got one from the “newer stock”? Sorry if that is a dumb question. It’s not the $50. It’s just that I only want to swap out posts once. To be honest, it is probably a moot point. My MUni riding to date is far from extreme (I roll more than I hop and rarely do drops higher than a small curb sized log) though I do fall (and NEVER catch my uni worrying more about not getting hurt) a lot.:o I can’t wait to be able to adjust (tilt the nose all the way up) the KH Fusion Freeride saddle on my Oracle MUni similar to the KH Fusion Slim (love it!) on my 36er. It really gets me back on my “sit bones” and saddle soreness is now a thing of the past. Of course, I spend a lot more “extended” time in the saddle when touring on my KH36G whereas my MUni is (unfortunately, at this point) more off than on.