New Hour Record by Jan Logemann - 27.564km

A record is only worthwhile being a record if there are others that want it :stuck_out_tongue:

Well done Jan…I think you could definitely push it much further than that on a good day. Did you register with Guinness?

I’m planning on a record in a couple of months, but I have to organise a better track than what I used for my 24hr record. Went for a ride there yesterday and it was so bumpy I could only average 25km/hr.

The hardest part is actually getting all the paperwork done and organising witnesses, venue, surveying etc for a GWR attempt (pulls hair out)

Anyone else keen on the record?

I want to make an attempt sooner or later… preferably sooner, but I don’t know any tracks or any good courses in my area for doing something like an hour record. Just keep smashing through the times, guys! That’s what records are there for!

Once again, superly good job. All you need is a good day, and poof, up the record goes. :slight_smile:

And yeah, bumpy roads really really really really really ( :’( ) really hurt speed… it’s quite… demoralizing what a bumpy road can do to you, especially if you’re riding with bikes who can just roll over it.

Register with Guinness first. It takes about 8wks for them to approve of your record attempt. After that it’s a case of finding a time and venue, getting all your witnesses, sponsors, media, etc etc.

The track I had in mind for the Hour is completely unsuitable…my old 24hr record track (Basin Reserve, Wellington) was pretty bumpy before, but now they’ve been digging and laying pipes it’s like a warzone. Really dampens the speed :frowning:

I’d love to have a go at this one, but I have no track in mind at the moment - my 24hr one is also too bumpy/tight-cornered.

Sam

Are GUni riders getting up to the speeds where a banked cycle track would work?

Found this thread on velodrome riding.

I suspect they’re getting there, but 27kph isn’t really going to make it just yet.
Based on comments in that thread.
I don’t have a clue.

I tried a velodrome yesterday. I can’t ride it on my Schlumpf 29"- I find it really hard to steer. Also tried it on my KH36" Schlumpf, but I only got it yesterday and I’m not sure I had the willpower to hurl it at 30km/hr into the banking yet. It was slightly easier on the banking (at low speed), but still I could hardly control the direction of the wheel.

I suspect a lot of it comes down to technique- but in order to be able to practice that technique you need to be practicing at 30km/hr…which can be pretty intimidating unless you don’t mind losing a bit of skin.

Hey Sam,

I’m going to have a go in 3-4wks. If you or anyone makes a record attempt in the meantime please be so kind as to let me know…especially if the current record is broken. I need to know what to aim for.

Also whether it was an official attempt…going out for an hour long ride and doing 30km on your cyclecomputer doesn’t count!

Cheers :slight_smile:

maybe with some modification to the unicycle it could work. 110 crank on the right and 125 on the left would probably sort it :slight_smile:

STM

Only a haggis could ride that.

Don’t they ride clockwise around most velodromes?
Shouldn’t the longer crank be on the outside?

Maybe in the southern hemisphere :wink:

Congrats in the highest order to Mr. Logemann! It was INEVITABLE that the coveted hour record would also be a convert to the guni!