New here... but Uni for 32 years...

Just wanted to say hello. I am new to this site. I am 40 years old, but have unicycled since I was 8 years old.

I learned on a little Sear and Roebuck 20 inch (I beat it to death). Have rode a 24" Schwinn and a 6" Girraff ever since. All the new unicycles look great. What options there are now. I am drooling over a Big Wheel Coker.

Now 2 of my three children have just started learning. Yesterday one rode 21 feet and the other rode 18 feet. Yippeeee, I’m not gonna be by myself in parades anymore.

I am so proud they have followed in their Daddy’s footsteps! I look forward to learning much on this forum. --chirokid–

welcome,you’ll love it here.

get a Coker

Brian

Hi,

I’m about your age, and I started riding on a very basic 20, and made do with that for many years before suddenly discovering this site, and a few others, and learning that unicycles are now readily available in a whole range of exciting flavours.

A year later, I have a medium sized fleet of unis, including a Coker; my riding ability has increased enormously; and I’ve met a few of the regulars in this forum, and been on long rides, played hockey, and all sorts of stuff.

It’s weird, like spending years thinking you’re the only unicyclist for hundreds of miles, ploughing a lone furrow, then discovering a huge and thriving unicycling subculture. I felt a bit like the Japanese soldier who was dug in in the jungle for 20 years, not realising the war was over and we were all friends again.

Greetings and welcome.

I’m glad to hear that some of your children have taken an interest. Both of my children ride and my wife is learning. It’s a wonderful family experience.

I think you will enjoy this forum. I’ve found it to be a wonderful source of information and inspiration.

Cheers,
Jason

Welcome!

Welcome chirokid,

I’m 37 years old. I have started unicycling one year ago.
By virtue of the help of this forum and warm hearted people,
I can relatively easily learn how to unicycle compared to the duration of learning.

Nowadays, my main interest is muni and trial and also trying
to teach my sons like you.
Let’s enjoy!

Hi Chirokid,

E-mail me. I’m going to be in Knoxville this wekend. Also, there are several MUC members that live in Knoxville that I can hook you up with.

Tommy
tommy@memphisunicycleclub.com

thanks for the welcome guys…

Thanks for the great welcome guys. I have just spent an hour or so in the photo gallery. My, how things have changed in the unicycle world over the past few years.

Tmornstar, you have an e-mail
Doctor, that is one awesome picture (my 8 year old was amazed)
Mikefule, our stories sound very similar.

–chirokid–

G’day Chirokid,

Hope you have fun here. Please keep us up to date with your kids’ unicycling progress. I’m looking forward to eventually having kids and teaching them to unicycle (of course only if they want to learn:)).

Andrew

Girls riding further… advancing :slight_smile:

Andrew,
Thanks for the welcome.

My girls were waiting on me when I got home from work to take them out riding. They had both been practicing inside during the day, just around the kitchen table and in the hallways of the house.

Well, the 8 year old, she rode over 30 feet tonight, with no external support. She easily rides 100 meters or more with me walking along beside her and holding just my index finger with her hand.

The 11 year old was free mounting hers, and taking a pedal turn or two. She rode over 24 feet several times.

They are both sharing a 16 inch unicycle right now, so I guess I’ll be ordering another one soon. Sure wish I was saving for me a Coker!!! --chirokid–

A welcome and a warning…

Welcome! You’re going to love it here.

I do have one warning however. A year ago I was perfectly happy with my Schwinn 24". Then I went to the Moab MUniFest and saw all the gear everyone else had, and ended up here checking out the forums, asking questions about equipment, etc. So of course, now I have to build myself a custom MUni, get a camelback, buy leg armor, etc. Bottom line, this website is free, but it may lead to buying a lot of stuff. So if you don’t want to spend all your time here and all your money on Unicycle.com, run!

Re: A welcome and a warning…

Paco, I understand that line. Just looking at the Gallery pics makes my 24" Schwinn appear old ,weak and heavy.

[B]

I haven’t gotten that far yet, but I am a big “do it yourselfer”, so I might just do that. Got any pics of your MUni posted?

I want to ride a Coker before purchase… hopefully I willl get the chance soon. --chirokid–

Here’s my custom muni…
http://gallery.unicyclist.com/albup21

I’m always looking for opportunities to show it off. :slight_smile:

Andrew

Thats cool chiro…i just went to Knoxville this weekend and stayed in the Blue Mountain Mist Bed and Breakfast…ever heard of it? it’s about 5 minutea outside of pigeon forge…where exactly in the smokies do you live? because i go there at elast once a year.

Andrew’s Muni…

Andrew, what awesome pics. Only problem, it makes my poor ol’ Schwinn look even more generic. I bought the Schwinn back in 1976, so I guess it really rates as an ANTIQUE!!! Sheeezzz! But hey, it’s still my ride.

Again, great looking ride. Question: Did you make it yourself, or is it “store bought?” --chirokid–

I drew the plans for it and had a frame builder make it for me and had it powder coated. The only thing I dislike about it is the very small clearance each side of the tyre. They were somehow mistaken and didn’t follow my plans. I wanted the legs parallel which would have allowed ample clearance, but they turned out tilted inwards at the top. It’s still beatiful though, and it’s one of a kind.

Andrew

Eublapharis13: What brought you to the RIGHT end of Tennessee? :smiley:

Yes, I know exactly where the Blue Mountian Mist B&B is located, the corner of Pullen and JayEll Roads. I live about 7 miles East of there. Do you live in Memphis?

When I was a teen, I used to ride up and down through Pigeon Forge and Gatlinburg often, that sure was great times.

Did you have any Unicycles with you? Don’t tell me you had a Coker in town, I’d just be sick! What kind(s) of Uni’s do you have? --chirokid–

Instead of us going to Tennessee for vacation, you should head south to Atlanta for a weekend. This is the home of unicycle.com and they let you ride anything in their showroom. It really is nice. I have also seen some of the guys from Unicycle.com Muni on a great single track not far from the warehouse. Of course there is always the NAUCC at the end of July of in Minneapolis, MN. There will be hundreds of different unicycles to try out. It would also be a highly educational trip for your kids.:smiley:

I have only been able to ride for a few months and can’t wait to go. I am also geting to ride in 2 yes 2 parades on July 4th. I hope it doesn’t rain on my parade!:smiley:

Bugman’s Parade and Uni.com

Hello Bugman:
I need to get my girls another unicycle (I think I am going to get them a 20" Torker, the black one, with 48 spokes, ANY RECOMMENDATIONS?) So instead of ordering it, I might just drive down to Unicycle.com this on July 10th. Marietta is ony a 3 1/2 hour drive for me, and with the added benefit of getting to ride several different uni’s, that might just be too hard to pass up.

I assume you are doing the Atlanta and Marietta parades. You will have a great time. The kids and the elderly will love you!!!

I get to be in the Nations first July 4th day Parade, in Gatlinburg, TN. The Gatlinburg July 4th Parade always starts at 12:01 AM, therefore, the first Nations 1’st July 4th Parade each year. There is usually 80,000 to 100,000 spectators at this parade. Small by the Atlanta Parade standards, but still, a great parade. --chirokid–

Re: Bugman’s Parade and Uni.com

I haven’t been to Gatlinburg in a while, I used to take at least two trips a year. Been there a couple of times for New years and at least once for the 4th of July. Done many trips down the slopes of Ober Gatlinburg back in the 80’s. I think I will take a weekend trip up there sometime soon. I’ll let you know if we head up.

If you do come down, let me know. I live on the east side of Atlanta(Lilburn) not far from I-85. I am working on the 11th, and 12th. I close up shop around 5PM so if you want to get together let me know. The Yellow River Mountain Bike Park is about 3 miles from my house. I haven’t taken my Muni on it yet, but have ridden it many time on my Mt bike.

I got my wife the 20" Stealth Torker. I ride it more than she does. I bout a non marking tire for it and am using it fro practicing idling inside on the hardwood floors. I think it is a great Uni for the money. The seat is pretty good, and the Torker can take a beating. Not to mention it looks pretty good compared to similarly priced Uni’s.

Re: Andrew’s Muni…

Hey! that’s the same as my first uni. That thing is a work horse, it went for years with three broken spokes (out of 28) finally replaced them last year. Its currently out on loan as a trainer.

Welcome