New Giraffe and a new regular uni needed!

Hi, guys! For Christmas I’m asking for a 5-foot giraffe (I’m sure I’ll get it), and I also need a new uni to replace my Torker CX. My dad says he won’t get me both for X-mas, just one or the other. Probably the one I don’t chose would become a birthday present. Which should I go for? The Torker CX is working OK for me now, but I’m starting to get sorta good, and I think the jumps will beat it up. So, my questions:

Which one should I pick (new giraffe or new regular uni)?
What kind of regular uni should I get?
What kind of giraffe should I get?

Thanks!

Get a new regular uni first, then get the giraffe.

Giraffes are fun the first couple of times you ride one. Then the novelty wears off. They are not a practical unicycle and will not get ridden very often. A giraffe is something to consider as a third or fourth unicycle. They’re not the best choice as a second unicycle.

If you want to try a giraffe, look for a local unicycle club and try theirs. That will give you a chance to see if it is something that you want to get for your own. Just remember that a giraffe is not a practical unicycle and will not get ridden very often.

If you want a giraffe the Torker TX is a good choice. It’s a 5 foot giraffe. It’s plenty tall to impress the general public. The general public would be able to tell the difference between a 5 foot and a 6 foot giraffe if it smacked them upside the head.

For a standard unicycle the Torker LX is a very good choice. Get the 2004 or 2005 model. That’s the black Torker with the square crown (the 2003 model had a rounded crown). If you want to do freestyle then get a 20". If you want to cruise around the neighborhood then get a 24".

My suggested order of unicycle acquisition would be:

1. A 20" Torker LX for freestyle
  2. A 24" Torker LX for cruising around the neighborhood
  3. A trials uni if you’re interested in jumping around on things
  4. A muni if you’re interested in going off road
  5. A 26" or 29er if you want to go faster than the 24"
  6. Then finally consider a giraffe

OK, I’ve followed steps 1 through 6 now what?

-mg

You keep buying more. :slight_smile:
Steps 1-6 are just a warm up. The real purchasing begins with step 7.

I left out a word. That should read:
The general public would not be able to tell the difference between a 5 foot and a 6 foot giraffe if it smacked them upside the head.

The point being is that to the general public a 5 footer and a 6 footer both look like they’re 7 feet tall when they see you riding it.

For an extra $100 you can get the Torker/Unistar DX with the splined hub if you’re concerned about abuse.

I stopped by the Silverdale Cyclery a while back. Turns out they sell over 100 unicycles per year to the kids in the Kitsap School District.

They had the LX in stock and can order the DX or TX from Seattle Bike Supply. Of course you can always go to uni.com or bedford too.

Don’t forget Ebay.

I would move 4 to 2. 4 would make a much better 2 or 3 than either would make as a 4

and who doesn’t want to 4?

No coker?!?!?! Or does that fall under 5 also though a 29er and coker to much the same.

I agree with that. I like trials more but more people like muni more then trials.

I think an 11 year old couldn’t ride a Coker (or maybe 11 yo’s are taller than I picture?) anyways…a 29" is much more a MUni than it is a Coker!

It’s not neccessarily if you like MUni more than trials…it’s just for a 2-job uni, I think a MUni would be a bette choice.

I enjoy trials…but I do it on my Muni. slick mud and other crap that you find on mUni trails is pretty annoying on a Trials uni

My trials uni now has another wheel under it

Oh I was just saying that I was surprised that John left out cokers being that he rides one alot.

I accually like trials more but more people enjoy muni more. Muni is a better choise for a 2 uni because you can use it for trials but the viseversa isnt as easily done.

Oooh thats why the two wheeler has a dx32 on it.

No. You like MUni more.

It’s a Monty, Smartiepants :slight_smile:

that is certainly up for debate. unless you have great trails near you i would advise that you get a trials. muni wont be as much fun on a 20 and trials wont be as much fun on a 24. i have a trials AND a muni and if i am going somewhere and can only take one uni but want to ride both trials and muni, i would take my trials for sure. with a muni you are held back in doing trials because of the weight and bulk of a muni, but with a trials you can do the same muni trails, its just not as fast or fun.

The list was made up with Tyler in mind. Someone that young probably isn’t going to want a Coker. I also put the trials uni ahead of the muni because younger kids usually have a more difficult time getting out to muni trails because they can’t drive yet. Trials is more accessible since you usually don’t need to go far from home to jump on things.

The main point I was trying to make was that the giraffe should be way down on the list. The other items can be adjusted to suit personal preference.

Re: New Giraffe and a new regular uni needed!

On Tue, 23 Nov 2004 12:09:51 -0600, “john_childs” wrote:

>I left out a word. That should read:
>The general public would not be able

I read it like that, and had to go back to the original post to
confirm for myself that there was no “not” indeed. Really.

Klaas Bil - Newsgroup Addict

“Deflating pi does not reduce calories, it just concentrates them. - billham”

Re: New Giraffe and a new regular uni needed!

On Tue, 23 Nov 2004 13:19:53 -0600, “Brian MacKenzie” wrote:

>I think an 11 year old couldn’t ride a Coker (or maybe 11 yo’s are
>taller than I picture?)

Brad Edwards started riding a Coker at age 9. Vids to prove it are (or
at least were) on the web. OTOH I think that not many kids enjoy
riding Cokers - or distance riding in general.

Klaas Bil - Newsgroup Addict

“Deflating pi does not reduce calories, it just concentrates them. - billham”