New Female rider at age 57

Hello Everyone!

I went to the university this afternoon where all of the wonderful, curving walkways are located. I think I am finally back to a routine now. What I SHOULD do is drive over there every day for the next two months. THAT would make for some excellent progress. I probably won’t do that… but maybe I can make it 2 or 3 times a week and find somewhere closer the rest of the week.

I got in some “hill” practice this evening. HA! Well, no, AnimalCage, not THAT big a HILL. It was just an incline… a ramp. But I did some freemounts right at the base of the incline and pushed right on up to the top, then freemounted and rode back down again. Two or three times, I took a turn at the bottom and kept going. Since I haven’t done any inclines at all except for a couple of times last week, I felt pretty good about the way the climbing turned out this evening.

I’ve been out of practice, and out of shape, but PRIME TIME practice time is here, so I’ll be back at it.

This week was better than last week.
Next week should be great!

Thanks everyone!
It’s GREAT to be back!

Ramps are big hills, until you conquer them. Then, the next hill is a HILL, until you conquer it. I now sprint up the hills that used to crush me. So will you. Its called progress, and your progress is GREAT!!!

Progress

Hello Everyone!

My Tuesday night university practice session was super! Last week I actually drove over there to ride 3 times, but the traffic is crazy after school, so I probably won’t do the drive except on Tuesday when the group meets. Having the group is really, really helpful… even if I don’t interact with them all that much… I’m riding… They are all doing something else.

My trusty(?) little uni computer says I rode a total distance of slightly over a mile and a quarter last night. That includes quite a few short runs up and down the nifty incline. That incline offers some diversion (a break) from the distance riding effort, so I get some climbing practice as well as seeing how long I can keep riding without dismounting. I’m pretty sure that total 1.25 mile distance is farther than anything I’ve done yet. I’m practicing in a different location, and I didn’t have the computer prior to a week ago, but I don’t think I have put that much total distance on it prior to last night.

There is a large circle all the way around the “quadrangle,” which is what they call this outside area where we meet every week. I made it all the way around the circle last night for the first time. I wish I knew how far that is. I doubt it is a quarter of a mile, but it could be. I will try to measure it when I get a chance.

Having the computer is a good thing. It gives me something to shoot for… a distance, a time, and a speed to beat the next time. Actually I am not trying to out do my last speed, but I think that will come just because of the increase in confidence and competence. Just for kicks, I checked the top speed last night… 6.7mph. Last week it was well under 5. I’m more interested in how far I can go, rather than how fast. But faster is good as long as I don’t feel like I’m going to fall or lose control.

I began to get the right feeling last night… that of down on the seat… coasting comfortably. Maybe I can have those 2 miles down before Christmas if I keep up a good practice schedule. …surely 1 mile is just “around the corner.”

I surely do want that practice partner!!! …But the group meeting on Tuesday is really helpful, even if none of them are really working on unicycle riding. I’m still hoping my friend will soon find time to fit unicycling into her really busy schedule.

Hope you all are doing great!

Thanks Everyone!

I think you can go over 2miles by Christmas! The longer you stay on, the longer you practice staying on, and the longer you can stay on the next ride. (That was a mouthful…)

I’m resting for a month to recover from a swelling Achilles. Do you have a friend who jogs? Maybe you can get him/her to jog with you while you unicycle, it would be fun. I did this with a friend once, much easier than convincing people to learn how to ride. :slight_smile:

Hi LoneReaction!
No, I don’t have any jogging friends. Just yesterday, one of my art teacher colleagues asked me to get together for a drawing session. I tried to interest her in unicycling. No go on that. However, she said she would DRAW me unicycling, or take photographs to work with later. SO… we may strike up a drawing/unicycling get-together. That would be a little camaraderie, although not the kind I have been trying to develop. Who knows, maybe I will even get my sketchbook out and do some sketching while resting up between distance practice.

Sorry you have to sit out for a bit. :frowning:
Maybe you won’t have to be off of riding for a whole month!
That’s a long time.

Heal swiftly LoneReaction!

…and thanks for the distance encouragement.
No doubt, you are absolutely correct!
…and even though it was a mouthful, it made perfect sense!

Just checking in after my Tuesday evening ride at the college.
1.6 total miles (with dismounts). Last week was 1.4 something.

I measured the circle. According to my bike computer, the accuracy of which I am not at all certain, the circle is almost a quarter mile. .22
Last week I made it around the circle once, which was good.
This week I made it around, and later made it all the way around again.
Now I need to do two without stopping.

My “hope-to-be” unicycling friend showed up Tuesday also. She does not have a unicycle yet, but I’m still hoping. I think she will take the leap eventually.

I’m still eyeing the track at school. It is very busy with students I know and teach. I’m not quite ready to make that sort of grand entrance yet, but I know it would be a good thing. Thank you krjames for that suggestion!

Progress !

Hello Unicycle Friends!

I backed off of this thread for a bit due to slow progress.
I’ve missed visiting with everyone!!!

However, my voice and throat are much better now and I feel much more like practicing. (The voice and throat problems included some sort of ailment that made me feel awful for too long.) BEST of all… I have a week off of school to practice! I hope the weather will be good most of the week!

The college group has changed times and locations, which is disappointing. However, that may be to my advantage, because I have made myself practice in other places. I went to the high school track when nobody was there. Thank you krJames for suggesting that more than once! Of course you are absolutely correct. The surface of the track is perfect!

I’ve also resorted to working on the streets in my neighborhood again, which is what I set out to accomplish in the first place. I had developed somewhat of a phobia about the street I think. After riding on the wonderful walkways at the college, the street seemed pretty rough.

However, I have SUPER news today. I rode around TWO blocks, one of which I have not been on at all prior to this afternoon. I have to admit I did not do it without stopping, but it was a significant improvement! The wind was blowing pretty hard. When I got to the street where the wind was at my back, the riding was easy breezy!!! On the last leg, the was wind coming from the front, but I made it all the way back to my driveway, which was a fairly long stretch!

Prior to today, my best ride was 1 block, and I only did that maybe twice. Then things started going haywire. I’m back on track now though and feeling pretty perky about it! :smiley:

If I can put in some good time most every day during the next week I think it will not be long before I can do the two blocks together… and more… without stopping.

Yaba Daba Doo!
Happy Riding Everyone!

Yaba Daba Doo indeedy and a whole week of it:) How about throwing a progress video our way?

OooooH!! That is sooo awesome 57UniRider! What a terrific way to start your week off! You GO Girl!!

57UR!! Love hearing the progress! Two blocks is awesome, so glad you stuck it out. I hope you are over your street phobia, although that never goes away entirely. Its like motorcycles and guns, you always need a healthy respect towards it or you’re gonna get careless and get hurt. Glad to hear your voice is getting better, too.

Well Done !

Wheel Done 57Uni.
2 blocks… are they big blocks.?
If I turned left at the end of my block it would be okay, but if I turned right, I’d end up in Prestatyn … tee hee
Don’t worry about falling off, I don’t, I’m getting better at freemounting now, bet you are too. Great to hear progress stories.

How is your uni friend coming along? Have you got together yet.

On NSYO thread you asked about me about my knees, they are a lot better now ta, think it must be the damp air. I notice it more if I use my legs to try and slow me down when I’m going down slopes. I’m sure practice will will make it easier.

…oh and a progress vid would be good…

cheers,
Elaine

More good progress

Hello Everyone!

Hey thanks JoJoxie, Kickstand, AnimalCage and Alucard!
and TincherTeach and LoneReaction! and everyone else!

More good news today.

Beloved and I took a quick trip down to the fishing camp this afternoon. It is only about 25 minutes from home. Some background information. We had a place on a canal for about 20 years. Last year we sold the old place and bought a new place on the other side of the canal. The two places are almost exactly one mile apart. (The canal accesses the ship channel which accesses the Gulf of Mexico).

One of my “lofty” goals has been to ride from the new place to the old place.
Today… I did it! I didn’t start out thinking I would go that far. However, instead of riding back and forth from the driveway to as far as I could go without a dismount, I decided to just keep going… and going.

I’m not sure how long it took… probably at least an hour including stopping to rest. It was almost strange riding up to the old place on a unicycle, then dismounting right at the driveway. I was quite pleased to be able to say “I did it!”

What I really wanted to do, was turn around and ride back! I got about a quarter of the way back, and here comes my husband… ready to leave for home. If I had really insisted, he would have let me proceed with the trip back, but that may have taken another 40 minutes. Maybe. So I put the unicycle in the car, and we drove home. He had to listen to my own “Ataboys” to myself all the way home. Hopefully, I will get to do the 2 mile trip there and back in a few days.

Along the way I even had to deal with some dogs who thought a unicyclist would be fun to bother. I did not dismount for them, and they did not keep me from freemounting along the way. There were a couple of cars that passed by while I was riding also. At one corner, I waved a truck on so he would go ahead and turn without waiting for me… then I turned the corner and kept going. That was a pleasant little victory. Communicating with another vehicle… keeping my cool enough to tell him what to do… and still have the control to make the corner and keep going. :smiley:

There are only 2 corners between the two houses. The two roads are pretty long and are shaped like a “U” due to the canal it parallels. (Well 3 roads counting the one that connects the two long ones). I feeling pretty good about successfully dealing with some new distractions. (Yay!)

So, there’s my story for the day.
I’m pretty pleased about the progress. I felt pretty steady… pretty comfortable, especially toward the end of the ride.

Thanks Everyone!
I believe I’m finally getting it!

You all help me out a whole lot!!!
Many THANKS for cheering me on!

Forgot to mention…
All of that is on the 20".
I haven’t gone back to the 24" yet.
I plan to get to that as soon as I feel like I’ve really "got it.!

Uh oh.
Now I’m on the next page.

Please go back and read the last entry.
I’m pretty pleased about it.

Thanks everyone!

Too bad you missed the Laos Uni Trip, THe VietNam unicycle Tour, the Alps Uni Tour, etc, but it looks like you’ll be ready for the next one!:stuck_out_tongue:

Keep it up, and Happy Holiday :sunglasses:

Wow, that is great news! You should really try the 24" for soon, then you’ll get further for lesser effort :smiley:

No, at the moment the game is to build up confidence and distance. But once you have got to the stage of riding for 20 or 30 minutes with no upds (that is the accidental coming offs, not when you have to stop or are distracted by traffic or whatever) then I would start playing with the 24.
And yes, the 24 is a great size, just see what Colin from Perth does. Of course a 29 is probably the most versatile size :smiley:

Cheers

Thank you for sharing your progress and success! It is encouraging to see your persistence pay off. So happy for you*. You are on a roll - just keep going and celebrating! I think your decision to string your rides together into a journey was key. It gave you the opportunity to find out how far your riding skills have progressed and probably kept you out there longer building your strength. Looking forward to hearing about your next adventure! Cheers!

GO MARTHA GO!

WELL DONE!!!

Elaine. :sunglasses:

Great work,

Perhaps carrying dog treats with you would encourage the dogs along the way to be your friends and not your adversary’s. That is as long as they don’t jump up to get extra treats…lol.

Nice progress. It’s always encouraging to reach those milestones.

Hello Everyone,
Thanks for all of your encouraging replies this week!

Today is the last day of my week long Thanksgiving holiday.
Gee, I wish I could retire tomorrow.

I learned something this week (or at least reaffirmed it). That is… it really is all about just getting out there and DOing it! My freaked out fear of falling and getting hurt is gone for the most part. I just have to keep putting in the time. It is JUST now getting to the point of being a form of exercise, which is what I started this whole activity for in the first place. Yay!

Kickstand, you are so right about just going further and further down the street. That absolutely DID help me stay at it longer than I would have otherwise.

I think practicing in more than one location is a good thing too.
Right now, the streets in my own neighborhood are the most challenging place to ride (of those I am riding), but they are getting easier.
That 2 block stretch that was a super milestone early this week is now the normal, so there’s a big improvement right there.

It has been exactly one year since I got this crazy idea and actually ordered the unicycle. I had no idea it would take a whole year to get to where I am now. However, I’m betting that the second year will get me to that “leisurely (??) ride around the neighborhood” that I had in mind when I started out!

Hey Billy!
Yeah, too bad I missed out on those events you mention!!
I’ve been thinking of the “Ride Your Age” challenge! :smiley:
Do I have to do it all in ONE DAY???
What happened to Uni57? He must be plenty busy.

TincherTeach!!! No way on the dog treats! I don’t want to encourage them. I suppose that might be a good way to practice another skill (reaching into my pockets and tossing dog treats to dogs that are yelping at me). I think I’ll pass on that one for awhile.

Hi LoneReaction and krjames!
I think my trouble started when I started on the 24" before I should have. I’m going to stick to the 20" until it feels like I’ve mastered it sufficiently before doing too much with the 24" again. I may take the 24" to school and do some freemount practicing on it in the meantime, but I don’t think I’m going to ride it around the block again just yet. Like you said, James, I’m working on confidence, and I don’t need a set back anytime soon… although I AM looking forward to making more distance with less effort (like you said LoneReaction). I will get there eventually.

Hi Alucard and Jojoxie!
When I get a new video made, I will post it for sure. You both should do the same. :slight_smile: I still think about that beautiful scenery in the early video you posted Jojoxie!! Nice!

Thanks Everyone!
Happy Riding!