New Female rider at age 57

Hi! That was an interesting video but I’m not sure I agree with it. The back pedal is rather high, although it’s not at 12:00. His wheel rolls back a little bit, but he is not doing a rollback mount. I think the pedal position makes it too difficult to execute a clean static mount. Then again, I’ve never been very good at looking at someone’s riding and being able to analyze and offer suggestions.

With the pedals closer to horizontal, you don’t have the entire device aligned basically as a stick with a wheel on it. It fans out into more of a triangle (tracing from the seat, down the frame to the hub, out to the pedal, and back to the seat). Somehow, hoisting the entire weight of your body onto the triangle configuration seems more stable than what the guy does in the video (where his triangle virtually collapses into a line segment – and would collapse if he went any more vertical with the pedals).

People (D1 - are you reading this?) have told me to “lock the knee”. Meaning, don’t let the knee bend as you step onto the unicycle. This advice has never worked for me. I never believed that locking the knee was even possible. I think what really happens is that you put equal force down onto the back pedal and forward into the seat. When you step on the pedal, you try to pedal the unicycle backwards. And when you step forward and push your weight into the seat, you try to push the unicycle forward. Doing both at the same time with balanced force (whatever that means) will allow you to step up without the wheel moving. [maybe the advice means simply that the knee shouldn’t end up bending, not that the rigidity of the bent leg by itself provides any structure or does anything meaningful]

My first static mounting success came when I was out in the driveway talking to someone who had come out to watch me practice. I was at my railing that I had used to learn to ride. I held onto the railing and just kept rocking up onto the unicycle – as if I were doing just 25% of a mount, or maybe just the first 10% of a mount. With no intention of doing more. Just step on the pedal / push into the seat with a little force. Then again with a little more. Keep hanging on to the railing. Don’t actually try to mount. Do it again. And again. Just nudge into the unicycle. Then a little more. See how I can get a little bit off the ground without the wheel moving? This is the beginning of a mount. Now again with a little more force. Wow, I went a little higher without the wheel moving. And eventually, almost without paying attention to what I was doing (which may have actually helped), I rocked all the way up and I was sitting on the unicycle! (still holding on to the railing) This technique allowed my body to gradually learn the forces necessary to execute a static mount. In the first few attempts, I didn’t even let my foot leave the ground. This is how gradual the process was.

P.S. - Hi 57UniRider! I saw your mention of me in another thread! I’m back. I was just busy in the bin Laden thread for a while. (and taking singing lessons – not!)

The one comment on that video expresses it perfectly, "no one system works perfectly for everyone, take the basics and tweak it for yourself.
As Uni57 mentioned, that pedal isn’t quite at 12o’clock and does roll back a bit, to almost horizontal, before he mounts. So it is a Static mount.
Having the pedal that high maybe just helps him to not put any pressure on it.

Hello Everyone.
Thanks for the great comments.

Becker and Kava, thanks for the link! I had looked at that demonstration awhile back. It didn’t seem to work for me then, so I tried it again after you pointed it out. Nope. It didn’t feel like it would work very well this time either. Does it work for you?

Hey uni57 and GILD! (Dave! and Dave!) Great to hear from you! Thanks for the explanations!

uni57 — I don’t think I have read a freemounting explanation that stresses pressure on the seat as strongly as you were describing… and I think that has helped me quit a bit! …

However, I am not comparing apples to apples at the moment. Yesterday, prior to having your explanation, I took the shorter (5") cranks off of the 20" and put them on the 24" (replacing the 6" cranks that were originally on the 24"). I have felt for several weeks that the cranks on the 24" would be much more to my liking if they were shorter. With shorer cranks I had to raise the seat, which puts me about an inch or more higher.

I think I like the shorter cranks quite a bit, but almost all of my freemount practice has been on the 20" (at least the successful practice has been). Now I am comparing my practice, using the seat pressure as uni57 described, on the 24" to the practice without the seat pressure on the 20". I did do some freemounts on a flat floor with the 24" today (after reading the seat pressure explanation) that seems to feel pretty good. Although I didn’t get very many successful mounts, I think they felt more secure and better balanced than I was getting before on the 20" (when on a flat surface). Before, on the 20", I felt balanced on the slanted, backstopped driveway, but I just couldn’t get the same moment of balance on the flat surface in the street or in my classroom.

uni57, I’m hoping you have given me a really good tip here! I don’t have much time to practice today, so I will have to let you know how it goes in the next week.

I DO think the 5" cranks on the 24" unicycle will be the right combination for a good while.

Thanks for the great explanation uni57!
and for the input from everyone else!

All comments and suggestions are welcome and appreciated!

This freemounting is a whole lot harder and more time consuming than I imagined it would be… but I’m getting there, even if not as quickly as I pictured it in my head!

Thanks everyone!

Ah unirider i posted how to put a link in just one word on the other thread (just learned today!)

I’ll paste it over here so you can learn too :slight_smile:

Hi there, i learned today how to post a link as a word and would like to share my new found wisdom with you!!

First you highlight the url (you know http://www etc) and right click on it and select copy. Next you write the word in your post you want to link it to and click on the button in the message window that looks like a little globe with something underneath it (if you hover your mouse over it first it should say ‘Insert Link’)
Right click in the box that pops up and click paste and that should do it!

Hope this helps :slight_smile:

Success!

This thread helped me with freemounting this past Saturday, especially Megan’s video.

Dealing with the 26" wheel, a slight change in dominant-side crank angle and grabbing the tire gave me my first freemounts. Freeeeeeedom at last!

Keep experimenting to see what works for you. It might be little things that cause a breakthrough :slight_smile:

Thanks Juni ! Just what I was looking for!
Thanks a bunch!

Kava, thanks for posting the tire grab link. I have seen that one and was convinced I should work on the tire grab on the 24". (There’s a discussion somewhere about that… probably several pages back in this thread.) I can see how it would be perfect for the 26". I have to lean so far over, especially on the 20", that it doesn’t seem practical. I could learn it that way on the 24", but someone suggested “why” when you could just learn it without grabbing the tire. I started practicing without the tire grab and decided I could get it that way, so now I’ve lost what little I had learned grabbing the tire. Jojoxie grabs the tire and posted a great video. I believe it may be further back in this thread also.

One of my problems may be changing my unicycle too much. I added a 24" (started with at 20") about 3 months into the challenge. Now I have taken the shorter cranks off of the 20" and put them on the 24", which meant I had to raise the seat.

The shorter cranks seems to be a good thing… except, going over the bump at the end of my driveway is more difficult now. I just had a short time to practice that yesterday, and I am hoping to “get it” this afternoon. The shorter cranks feel good for everything so far except that bump. I believe I read that shorter cranks = less control. Maybe I raised the seat too much. (?)
Any comments on that?

Thanks everyone!

Sit on the seat, hold onto something.
Put the heel of your foot on the pedal.
Slowly roll it until it’s in the 6o’clock position, all the way down.
Your leg should be straight, but the knee should not be locked.

That is the optimum seat-height.

As with most everything in unicycling, there are no absolutes. That remains a good way to ensure your seat is in the ball-park.
Seat higher, and you’ll end up having to slide side-to-side off the seat just to keep your feet on the pedals.
Seat lower, and you’ll take more weight on your legs, tiring quicker and battling to learn to ride (not really relevant in your case).

Shorter cranks will make the wheel feel a bit more “twitchy” under you, until you’re used to them, so it does make sense that the drop into the road might be a bit more of a bother than what it was.
As the drop smoothed out on the previous cranks, it’ll do the same with these.

Just stir in some practise.

I must confess I don’t have my uni yet so I’m living through the efforts of everyone here and the many video’s on youtube.

Okay GILD. Sounds good. THANKS!

Gee, Becker, that must be frustrating. I hope you get the unicycle soon so you can start putting all of this crazy information to good use.
Maybe you will have so much good information, you will have a head start when you finally get the unicycle! Hope so!

In my limited experience shorter cranks have meant less control whilst riding but more control when mounting.
Less leverage with the shorter cranks means the dominant foot moves the wheel more slowly, allowing the other foot time to mount. For instance I can rolling mount my 24" with 125s but not with 150s.
This probably helps not a jot. :roll_eyes:

Thanks jojoxie!

A couple of people have been talking about tire grab mounts. Yours is great! I thought it was further back in this thread, but I was wrong. It is on page 28 of NotSoYoungOne’s super Learning Journal thread.

Juni just told me how to connect a link with a word, so now I have a chance to try it. (I may have to go look at his instructions again.)

Go to http://vimeo.com/12389076 to see jojoxie’s really nice video demonstrating a tire grab mount and some wonderful scenery.

I’ve gone back to trying that mount again today, jojoxie. I may like that one best for the 24" afterall… or I may combine it with uni57’s instructions for the static mount. One of the two, or a combination is going to work.

I will get this freemount one way or another!

No, I didn’t quite get the instructions right Juni. I don’t see the globe icon you mention.
At least the link is here. Where is the globe icon?

Globe icon three doors left of picture icon (mountain, yellow sky, sun). You will have to highlight the word you want to use though.

Okay jojoxie.
Thanks.
I will try again.

To see tire grab mount as executed by jojoxie, go here.

Yay!
Thank you Juni and Jojoxie!

I am obviously a slow learner!
Maybe the freemounting will click sometime soon as well! :smiley:

Thanks!

I use the tyre grab. On a 20" and 24" the trick seems to be to throw yourself way further forward than feels safe. If I concentrate entirely on the vacant pedal and am far enough forward, there seems to be a surprising amount of time to put my foot onto it, straighten up and pedal away.

Woohoo you got it!!!

Well done :slight_smile:

Hey Juni!

Finally! :smiley:

Thanks!

Hello monomaniac. Clever name.

Your comments have me trying that tire grab again. So far, on the 24", the tire grab has been the most successful for me… two or three weeks ago, and again today. (I certainly have some work left to do on it, though.)

Thanks!

Thanks 57UniRider, I’m hoping that’s the case. I’ve already scoped out a wall and nice wide section of bitumen for learning on and have checked out the drop at the end of my driveway and about a million other little things I can do while not actually getting to ride. I’m selling my fishing gear to get the money for the uni and thats proving to be a bit slower than I’d hoped. Anyway I’m halfway there.

Perseverance will prevail!

I’m sure in time and circumstance will reduce or eliminate the need to grab the tire at all.