New Coker Big One prelim. review

It is big. My Coker BIG ONE was delivered in a box that was about 4 feet square.

I posted a picture of the box here.

Here it is…

How about the frame/wheel alignment?

I rode 15+ miles today on the new Coker Big One, and I feel like I can give a more thorough review. I’d already swapped the stock Coker seat for my KH Fusion. Before I took it out on the ride, I also changed the cranks and pedals.

I swapped the Coker 125mm cranks and stock pedals for the QuAx alloy 125s and magnesium pedals that I had on my Radial. The Coker cranks have a substantial Q-factor (That is, they bend away from the wheel), and I don’t need/want that. The QuAx are straight, which I like better. The stock Coker pedals are only pinned on one side, and, besides, the mag pedals are just sweet.

The lightness of the wheel, I think, is the most remarkable difference between this 36er and my old Radial. With my old heavy wheel, I couldn’t always start the wheel rolling when I didn’t get my feet in the right spots. When I mount the new uni, my feet can be in almost any spot, and the wheel is light enough that I can start it rolling easily.

Similarly, the wheel is easier to snap around a tight turn. We did a lot of riding on easy trails, and I found the wheel almost as easy to whip around a quick turn as my KH unis. Also, I’d never been successful in even half an idling cycle on the heavy 36er with 125s, and I got 3 idling cycles today with the new Coker.

The frame is lighter, too, and hills were a pleasure to climb. I think, however, the frame’s weight difference makes nowhere as much difference as having the much lighter wheel.

That’s awesome! I think the total weight is like only 16lbs! I plan to swap out pretty much the same stuff when I get mine…which was supposed to be today! I’ll be also using my T7 (that’ll make it heavier but still way lighter than my radial) until the new coker handle comes out.:smiley: