Need Ride The Lobster Team mate(s)

Name: Geoff Elder
Nationality: New Zealand
Current Location: Vermont (lived in the US 20 years)

Would love to ride with a US team or a New Zealand team since either would seem to apply. My wife would be happy to be the support person if needed (she’s a nurse but hopefully those skills wouldn’t be needed).

I’m a very competitive person but looking at this as an opportunity not to be missed since I’m actually new to unicycling and don’t have the experience (or age) to be truly competitive.
My main sports background is Mt Biking including two 24 hour races (1st place team out of 40 teams, and also an 8th out of 21 in a solo race!)

I’ll be riding as much as possible through the VT winter and hope to get in qualifying rides as soon as ability, fitness and more importantly, weather, allows…

Hey Geoff,

We’re planning on sending a NZ team…

We have 4 people. 2 with a high probability of being there, 1 (I think) with a moderate probability and 1 with a slightly less probability. So depending on how things work out, we may end up needed another member, or if we’re lucky there’ll be two NZ teams.

Have a look on the NZ forums: www.unicycle.org.nz

Here are my details:
Name: Ken Looi
Nationality: New Zealand
Current Location: Various locations around NSW, Australia
Email: ken at lissica.com
Unicycle: 36" Diet Coker, 29" Schlumpf
Experience: Current Marathon Road Race World Champ, #2 in 10km, ex 24hr and 1hr record holder. And much faster now than I was last year :stuck_out_tongue:

Ken

Name: Nick Allred

Hey, I’m hoping to find a team thats more on the fun side than competitive. I’m willing to push myself hard but im not sure that would be enough to keep pace with the best.

It might be cool to get an all minors team together. It’d be fun to be the underdog in the race and see how far we can push ourselves.

either way, I’m thinking about qualifying this weekend if weather permits, but if anyones interested,

AIM: oldgeezers940
myspace: myspace.com/isayhey

tyty

Name: Nick Allred

Hey, I’m hoping to find a team thats more on the fun side than competitive. I’m willing to push myself hard but im not sure that would be enough to keep pace with the best.

It might be cool to get an all minors team together. It’d be fun to be the underdog in the race and see how far we can push ourselves.

either way, I’m thinking about qualifying this weekend if weather permits, but if anyones interested,

AIM: oldgeezers940
myspace: myspace.com/isayhey

tyty

Hi, my name is Dave (hi, Dave) and, like most people on this thread, I have a problem.

I need to find a RTL team.

On the plus side, I’m definitely serious: my wife is assisting with organizing the volunteers; my Father-in-law already has a room reserved for the week to cheer everyone on, and (most importantly) I’ve already completed the qualifying ride and writeup. Look under USA and “Dave Krack” (yes that is my real last name and we are the only “Krack house” in the local phone directory).

On the minus side: I’m relatively new to distance unicycling (only been at it for about a year), although I guess my annual bike mileage is around 7000 miles- on fixed gears and singlespeeds 95%+ of the time. I also don’t yet have a 36er as my Nimbus 36 should be arriving early next week.

Check the speedgoat.com blog (scroll down a bit) for a pic of me before and after the ride if visuals matter to you.

I live in the hills of Western, PA where long distance unicycling is just slightly more popular than unicorn wrestling. Local being a relative word, I’d love to be on a team that will individually do their best, yet have a great time doing so. Stressing out over standings doesn’t sound like much fun. I do plan on riding as fast as I possibly can over the week and being a team player wherever that puts us in the standings.

RTL looks awesome. Determined not to miss out on qualifying, I completed the qualifying ride on my KH 29er with the Kenda Klaw tire and 150mm cranks.
Training should be easier on the 36er.

Update on the 36er: It’s in! Wow, big wheeled fun! I’ve been putting some commuting miles and errand miles in on the Nimbus. Currently sorting out the brake issue and waiting for the roads to dry from the snow. I’m on the KH 29 until then- boy does it seem small now!

I look forward to seeing everyone in Nova Scotia next June!

Hey all,

Team “Nottingham and wherever the other person is from” are looking for a team member after one lazy bugger decided to give up distance unicycling.

We’re from Nottingham (UK).

We’re both qualified, and we have a support person lined up

Links to our qualifying rides
Joe Marshall
Spencer Owen

We’re both vaguely fit riders who ride every day, so like not looking just to go for the ride, but maybe not likely top 5 contenders unless we get a lot of training in.

Anyone?

Joe

Possibly. I definitely want to do RTL, and after living in the UK last year I figure I can qualify as an honorary brit. I’m a pretty good distance rider with a one-day max of 120 miles. I’m not going to beat the fastest riders, but I can do a reasonable pace.

I’m living in Woodinville Washington now so a west coast of the US/Canada team would probably be better if that pans out, but let’s see.

Bruce

You think kristine will show up. That would be so awesome if she does. :astonished:

I really hope so, We talked back in May and agreed to be teammates but I have been unable to get ahold of her since. I don’t know if she checks her PMs.

Assuming she is in I have a team but have been thinking lately that we should be looking at our options for other riders. if anyone sees her on the forms could you tell her to get ahold of either me or flyer?

I haven’t seen her much on the forums either. :thinking: She might be busy getting prepared for RTL or something.

I am in need of team mates. I qualified a few days ago, here is my qualifier story: RTL Qualified - Jordan

EDIT: I am located in Nelson BC.

Looking for a third team member in the UK

Mark Wiggins and I have recently qualified, but don’t yet have a third team member. While we would of course love to win the race, it is probable that beer will be something of a distraction, especially for me*, so if you are a deadly earnest competitive uber-athlete … Well, good luck in finding a team.

If you are a non-superman (and/or woman), and fancy poddling along with us, please get in touch. We don’t bite, and we don’t smell (much - it all depends on the recent level of consumption of brassicas).

Al

• All of my thoughts about Nova Scotia have so far been predicated on the assumption that there are many hostelries of some sort along the route. Am I going to arrive to find an alcoholic wilderness? No doubt we can send the support vehicle via the shops in this eventuality.

Looking for a third team member in the UK

Al,

I’m game, have sent you a PM.

Ian

Russell and I are planning on riding the Lobster together, but we’ve had a few backouts and need one more rider.

We won’t be riding to compete, simply to have fun and finish. Can you imagine one day telling your kids you participated in an 800km unicycle race… Mindboggling.

We’re stoked about this race and can’t wait. We’ve already got our support person in place, so we’re just waiting on another rider. PM either of us if you’re interested!

If your willing to ride with another Canadian but from Toronto, I am looking for an entire team. I will be qualifying as well as soon as this snow melts. Let me know. I understand if you are looking for someone from Calgary.

Levi Pounds, age 20, nimbus 36, unicycling 2 years, also looking to have fun and try my best.

Northeast US Rider

I haven’t qualified yet, but wanted to get my name out there. I’m looking for two team-mates who are more interested in enjoying the ride than trying to win. While I am competitive, I don’t think a top placement is a reality (at least this year). I’m planning to qualify the first warm weekend in mid-February or mid-March.

Name: Perry Woodin
Uni: Coker BigOne
Experience: Started unicycling about 25 years ago. Took 20 years off :astonished: and just got back into it the beginning of 2007. I was a competitive cyclist and a member of the first NCAA cycling team in the country (1992).

Feel free to PM me or just reply to this thread.

Well, I just found out that I am able to do it. I haven’t qualified and I won’t be able to until late March or early April.

Name: Eric Evenchick
Uni: 29" for now, Coker soon.
Experience: I’ve been unicycling for 3 years now. I first started when I met Ryan Atkins at a bike camp. I started with trials but now I really enjoy MUni and I’m getting into touring.

I want to push myself with this event, but I’m more doing it for the fun and as a personal challenge.

I’m willing to form a team with riders from anywhere of any age and experience.

The best way to contact me is email. My address is eevench@gmail.com .

I haven’t qualified yet, but I plan on qualifying in the next few months. I don’t have much, or rather any experience with 36ers, but I’m planning on getting one soon to qualify and race.
I have done some road biking for the last two summers to get me from town to town in my area. And I feel that will help my stamina while big wheeling.
I want to be in this event for the competition and to have a bit of fun along the way. I will be dedicated to the challenge and give my all.

My information
Name: James Spurling
Location: Tottenham, Ontario, Canada (about an hour north of Toronto)
Current unicycles: 19" Trials, 24", and will be getting a 36er in the near future
Experience: Unicycling since August 2007, road biking since 2005 and in an hour I usually cover about 20-25km (bike).

Looking for two riders and one support, I’m looking for riders that are somewhat experienced with road uni or road biking.

Contact me by private message on the forums or “NeoPhreek at gmail dot com” if you are interested.

Thank you,
James

Vancouver rider

Unfortunately my planned team has been decimated by injury and problems getting time off, so now I find myself solo. I completed my qualifier back in October, so I am ready to sign up, I just need a team!

My qualifier - http://www.ridethelobster.com/race/countries/canada/Todd_Sankey.php

Name: Todd Sankey
Email: tsankey ‘at’ gmail.com
Rides: Coker, KH 29
Experience: I have been entering endurance events for 20 years, including marathons, cross-country, swimming, triathlons, and an Ironman. I got into unicycling in 2006 as a way to excite my kids about riding and not worry about falling. I got totally hooked. I have been commuting by uni pretty much every day for the last year and a half. Whenever I can, I work in at least a little extra into the ride, so I manage about 100 to 120 km per week. I also get in about 50 km per week of running, so my cardio is good. I will start ramping up the mileage in the coming weeks in preparation for the race.

That said, I am equally happy to be part of a team mainly out for the experience, or one that wants to push the pace. It would be fun to find local training partners, but also cool to be part of an international team.

Just a reminder - the rules state that you all need to be from the same country (although exceptions of course are made for countries with a small number of riders and also we’re relatively loose with the definition of being “from” a country).

—Nathan