Need New Axle,

Originally Posted by johnfoss
The key metrics on your existing hub are:
Width between the bearings (I think usually measured center of bearing to center of bearing?)
Axle diameter at the bearing (to ensure a proper fit)
Bearing outer diameter

Why is that second item relevant… I mean, if the 1st 2 items are good, what does the second one matter? We are waiting on the 2 ordered uni’s that is the Torker LX and the CLUB uni, to see if the wheel will directly fit or not. I guess it is time to get a good micrometer! I don’t think metrics… very good yet! And, thanks to all for the replies. IF we had to weld on the frame, but got a real tough wheel, that would be ok. ~ N

The second one is only important if you are replacing bearings. I’m pretty sure that it’s aCX wheel which would make it compatible with most square taper uni’s. Also worth mentioning is that the pressed caps on lower end cycles are compatible with larger bearings as well. As long as the hub spacing is correct you can’t go wrong.

HEY the torker came in the mail today!!! (happy happy happy)

And, we tried the wheel that came with it, on the uni that needs a new axle. The distance between the bearings is about 1/4" narrower than the frame, but otherwise, all things are good. We are thinking of using a C clamp to slightly torque the frame, so that it is a bit narrower, and wa la, it works. So, I want to order a complete TORKER wheel, axle, cranks, bearings, and pedals, so that we can RIDE! New bearings seems like a good idea.

So, I am trying to get all those together now.

OK, we got ready to order the new wheel, and bolts, and pedals, and right b4 finalizing the order, I happened to think of the idea of getting a WIDER tire, on this uni. The bearing outside diameter is the same as a TORKER LX. The width between the bearings is 9.5 cm. (Center to center) We can slightly bend the frame to accommodate a TORKER LX wheel (The TORKER LX has a center to center spacing of 9 cm. Should I get a WIDER rim for this, or do we simply get a FAT tire on this rim? This homemade frame will accomodate a nice fat tire, to get a MUNI out of it. Seems like a good idea to me!

To condense that, I can use a TORKER lx wheel, and bearings, that has a fatter rim. Does such monkey exist? OR if the bearings are out at 9.5 cm apart, that is ok too.

Thanks everybody.

Nate

It may work, but it will still be a 20" uni which by most accounts is too small for MUni. And couple that with a square taper crank it is not going to put up with a lot of abuse.

Points to consider:
[LIST=1]

• As the tire gets wider it also gets taller, this height gain is where a lot of uni's fail to fit larger tires.
  • A wider tire will fit the rim, but it will "balloon" out a lot. This results in needing to run higher pressure to prevent folding the tire, or getting pinch flats. The benefit is lost.
  • An appropriate "Flatland" wheelset with a wider rim would fix #2, but the cost will run as much as a uni better suited to the task. [/LIST]

An alternative would be a trials wheelset with a 19" tire. The smaller rim diameter allows a little more headroom with the wider tires, but still it may not be tall enough for the tire.

Somewhere I have a 20" (406mm BSD) 36 hole Alex DX32. It would be wide enough to support a wide tire without having to go bonkers with the pressure. Let me know if you are up for building a wheel, and we can talk about getting the rim to you.

• I thought it might work. I have a shopping cart with NIAGARA cycle, with all the stuff, to go to the same wheel that a torker LX or CX has. (With the link above) but when I was almost read to to make the final click, with shipping it came to somewhere around 73 buks, and I thought, why not get a WIDER rim, and a fat tire?

This homemade uni frame was built on purpose with extra clearance, both top and sides.

When I set mind to a simple task, well, I have a knack for getting in over my head, but I always learn alot, and wind up helping others too!

Thanks Large Eddie, for the link.

JTROPS, If I could get that wheel, and hub, in a FAT tire configuration, well, it will fit this frame.

Thanks again for everything.

Nate

Ouch! I never would have guessed that the all-up price would be that high. Thanks for letting us know about that.

I think you’re making a good call going with the wider rim to use that frame to its best advantage. And there’s satisfaction in riding on a wheel you’ve built up yourself. You can find some great tutorials online if you haven’t done it before. Having another wheel nearby to compare with and make sure it’s coming out right has helped me many times. Keep us posted.

I’m not sure I understand this. Maybe you could put it another way?

There is room in this uni frame for a Muni tire. Clearance both on the sides, and top of the tire. This uni frame would hold a 22" wheel and tire. And if it were fat, that would fit too.

It has extra room.

Nate

Got it. It sounds like the frame will work then.

I may have to change the rim, and spokes (possibly the spokes) to create a muni.

I might as well create a muni.

N