Need more ideas: Attatching BC plate to axle.

UH disc brakes are pretty snappy like it don’t take em long to stop you have you thought about how hard it’ll be to stay on a bc when your stopping it after going down a hill or even just reasonably fast. You’d probally fall forward.

Comes friday. And thats just the wheel, The rest of it, Brake, Housing, Cable, Grip, lever, bar, tire, tube, strip, plates and calf bar have yet to be instaled. And trust me, its going to take more than my genius to design the plates.

Or is the tube too thin to tap so that a set screw would be effective?
Do you have access to a drill press? can you drill all the way through the tube and the axel and bolt them together?

he thought of that. he made it so it doesn’t lock.

Its called modulation my freind. They brakes wont be able to lock.

Oh ok cause that could a been brutal

I have access to Mill’s, Cncs, Lathes and drills.

so would it be possible to clamp the tube over the axle, drill all the way through both and bolt them together? Or am I missing somthing?

hmm

ahh… damn, i missed that, sorry. I think that is the best option, getting it perfect could pose quite a challenge though… i think that you could do it though…

first of all, how do you have access to cnc’s?? :astonished:

okay, so here’s my suggestion. If the axle is a hollow tube, as it appears, try this: get a loooong bolt and some washers that are larger diameter than the the tubes that fit over the axle. slide on the drop plate tubes, then put the loooong bolt through the axle (like a quick-release skewer…) with washers on both ends. put a nut on the bolt to squeeze the washers in, thus holding the drop plate tubes on. the bolt wouldn’t need to be strong, cause it’s only force is tensile. so, if you needed to drill through the axle (yes, maybe stupid, but stick with me) it could be a very small diameter bolt, and thus a small hole.

a pic’s worth a thousand words:

2 problems with this idea

1. The peice of tubing that slides onto the axle, its welded to a solid, THICK peice of steel.

2. Like i said above, the plates are boltless.

could you drill a hole through it and put a split pin in it to keep it secure?

Split pin?

its this thing:
http://myword.info/images/cotter_pin_1d.gif and
http://www.kmproducts.co.uk/images/split-pin.jpg

Ah, a cotter pin. That would cause tremendous play in the plate/axle.

How about notching the tubing, and still using a bolt, this would alow for the bolt to pinch the tubing down onto the axle elimanating all possible play you would get with a bolt.

Is the tube the removeable sleeve thing or the axle. If it is the sleeve that is too thin, could you get a thicker one and tap it?

Sam

i can’t help but that think looks cool. How much time and money have you put into it so far

Is the hub from a bike? or is this a custom built hub? I have heard of 20mm hubs on some MTBs so how do they put them into the dropouts?