Need help & Advice about unicycles!

hi, i currently ride BMX and i saw a koxx one video on youtube. i think unicycling looks awesome and i want to get into it. the problem is i dont know what kind of unicycle to buy since i would just be starting i need to learn how to ride it first of all but im hoping to later on learn how to do some flat land tricks and maybe some trials so i dont need the best but i want something half decent. ive check out some koxx one unicylces and they seem pretty sweet but expensive considering theres not much to a unicycle and waht not so im looking for a half decent kind of unicycle for around 300$ canadian/american also ive heard that it is hard to buy unicycles in canada since most the companys are european. so please if you know of a dealer or a site that ships unicycles to canada or if you know of a half decent unicycle for around 300$ candian/american please info me!
THANKS!

just get a nimbus x on unicycle.com with kh moments and a kh street saddle

KH(kris holm)

k

alright thanks alot ill check it out

i can’t really find it can you send me a link please? also what size frame or wheel do i want? do you go buy how tall you are ( im around 6’1 ) or like more what your looking to do ( learn to ride, flatland, trials )

If I was gonna start again

I started last march, and have 4 uni’s now. I assume money is a factor, otherwise, just buy lot’s of uni’s.

I would buy any cheap 20 inch smooth tired uni that was not a weird unknown brand. Maybe a Sun or dimension. These are well less then 80 $. Spend 50- 60 $ right away on a KH seat. This seat can be moved later to a different ride, so money on a good seat is always a wise buy. Your ass will hurt enough on a good seat.:smiley:

Next I would notice that a 20 is kinda slow. So buy a 24, 26, or 29. These can be had pretty cheap, but it would be better to buy something like a Koxx or KH at this point if you think you are into the hobby for a long time. But a cheap 29 would be a great way to explore the streets of your town.

Two cheap uni’s can hold you for a long time. Learn to idle, ride backwards etc. It is easier to learn basics on a cheap 20 then the fat tired rides. A good choice for a third uni will be more expensive. A muni, trials , or 36" all cost more then 350 for a reasonable choice.
http://brandscycle.com/itemdetails.cfm?catalogId=39&id=7524
http://aebike.com/page.cfm?PageID=30&action=details&sku=ST6031

But these two things, and you will have the most comfortable starter setup you can find, more of less IMHO.

Is that some kind of a joke, signing your post as kris holm? :astonished:

Here is a link to the unicycle he recommended, you just need to selecet your crank choice as ‘‘KH moment 137mm ISIS’’. However this does mean you would be 17$ over your budget.

Don’t let it confuse you, but one thing I will say is that the moment cranks are arguably the strongest out there, but not the best cranks for flatland. You may want something with nubs on the axle part to put your foot on - but I’ll leave it to somebody else to recommend some different cranks as I don’t really ride flatland.

no i put that so he would know what KH meant…haha i do see how it looks…im sorry lol. I should have put this ====> KH=Kris Holm

okay thanks alot guys i think im going to keep looking around a bit the crank arms on that nimbus looks so cheap though i dont know how easy it is to bend a crank on a uni but i know on bmx’s ive had to go through a few good cranks witch look much stronger then that one :astonished:

The kh cranks are DEFINITELY strong enough - to my knowledge, nobody has bent them. If anything, it’l be the pedals that bend before the kh moments. I just didn’t think they were perfectly fitted to flatlanding.

any other decent crank will go over his budget alot! besides moments arnt that bad for flat…just a little slippery but griptape will fix that

The Nimbus is OK

There’s nothing wrong with starting out with a good 20. Except the cost. I bought a KH 20, and I like it. I don’t do much hoping yet. I’m learning to ride and turn backwards now. So maybe a trial uni is unnecessarily expensive for a start.
I think I could do most what I have done so far on a basic cheaper model. Trials unis are perhaps slightly harder in some ways. I know my raw beginner friends prefer the skinny tire. It’s not a big difference anyway. Pretty much any 20 will be about the same, as far as learning basic riding. As long as you have a good seat.

I don’t think you can just jump into trials riding. It would take a few months of riding around to get used to basic stuff. That’s why I think a larger street wheel is a good second uni choice. At first there isn’t much to do in uni riding, except learn to ride straight, and turn.

Exploring places was a lot more fun then riding in circles in an area. And riding a bigger wheel while exploring town is a lot more fun then the 20, at least until I started to want to do tricker things.

Pretty much everyone who stays in the sport for a while will buy more unis.

There is no need for your first one to be a good trials uni. Maybe after learning to ride, you find you want to ride muni, and would love a KH 29.
Better to save your $ now , and invest in in a better second choice later.

oh definaly. i went straight and bought a 24 torker dx (about 250$$) and after getting decent i decided that i didnt like the muni. i wanted to get into trials and street…so get a cheap learner uni first so you can decide what area of riding you like.,…then you know where to put the real dough. but yes buy a starter uni for sure.

I got my friend into unicycling and he bought a torker lx and that is what Iwould suggest for you. it is a great learner unicycle. I wish I would have learned been able to learn on one. They are really affordable to.

alright thanks guys

ill check out the torker lx. i guess what i really am looking to do is learn to ride then eventually learn some tricks and what not but when you say i want a bigger tire to explore, my town has alot of hills in it and i dont know what it would be like riding a uni up and down hills but i can imagine it isnt going to be pretty so i think ill stick with a 20’’ and ride mostly at the skatepark?

alright thanks guys

ill check out the torker lx. i guess what i really am looking to do is learn to ride then eventually learn some tricks and what not but when you say i want a bigger tire to explore, my town has alot of hills in it and i dont know what it would be like riding a uni up and down hills but i can imagine it isnt going to be pretty so i think ill stick with a 20’’ and ride mostly at the skatepark?

Have fun

I didn’t mean to dissuade from buying a trials uni. If you are sure you are into the sport, and live somewhere that you will only ever want a 20, maybe you should get a KH20. It’s kinda fun to go top of the line, and don’tcha wish you could do that on a bike for 400 $?:slight_smile:

I hear you can find a KH20 on ebay for about 400. AEB has to advertise MSRP of 500 $, but if you email them and ask, they will sell for about 415. I bought mine from them last spring for less then that.

The KH uni’s are the best deal if you know what you want IMHO. And they come with great seats, that the Torkers lack. But pretty much any 20 is fine to learn on.
http://aebike.com/page.cfm?PageID=30&action=details&sku=UN2020

UN2020.jpg

last night i almost bought a Torker LX off ebay for about 70$ + shipping and duties and what not it would of cost me around 120$ but i decided to hold off buecase they had over 70 of them left i cant make up my mind if i should start right off and get something really good or not. i dont even know if ill like unicycling.

I started out with the torker lx. Its a good starter uni, now I ride a KH though so if your determined to learn and have the money go for the KH but if your unsure about purchasing a 400+ unicycle you dont know how to ride, go for the torker lx.

I agree with Spoonthumb. Get a nimbus ISIS 20" with KH moment cranks. A lot cheaper than buying a KH uni. I believe you can call when ordering and upgrade them for not much extra. Then you’ll have a good strong uni that you would easily be able to sell later IF you decided that unicycling is not your thing.

kay thanks