Need advice, facing freemounting issues

It seems that I can’t get my leg over the top of the wheel.

13 Likes

You need to do a jump mount.

1 Like

ha, you had me there.

You need bigger cranks…

Yes! I need some cranks!
Ok, thanks for picking up the issue :slight_smile:

Looks like you found your other wheel (sorry, I’ll see myself out…)!

2 Likes

Its all in the initial spring!

You’re going to need a reeeally tall fence to hold onto…

What is that thing anyway? Old minig equipment or something?

Yep, it’s mining equipment :slight_smile:

I think if you climb the spokes up until your feet reach the halfway mark or maybe the spoke above that, you could then move your feet to the outside of the wheel and walk along it while pulling yourself up by grabbing the spokes. Then you should be able to ride away… doing wheel walk of course. The other option is to do a running mount and grab on to let the momentum of the wheel lift you to the top.

I feel your pain. I’m trying to learn to freemount myself, and I sometimes feel the same way. I’ve watched quite a number of youtube “how to” videos, and it hasn’t helped much. I can manage to get on & teeter for a fraction of a second, but haven’t yet managed to move before losing my balance. It was a long, slow process learning to ride (and I still can’t do more than a minute or two). Now this is a whole new challenge. I guess I should mention that I’m 70 years old. I can always use that as an excuse for my slow pace of learning.

You’ll get it. You have shown perseverance. Just continue to have fun, and your body will “get it” and it will just click. Good on you for taking on uni riding!

Happy and safe “wobbling”,

A fellow wobbler,
Dawson

I’m surprised there hasn’t been some discussion on what size cranks would be best with that… :laughing: You’d need a reasonable length to get it going.

Edit: I didn’t notice Mark’s reply… he got there pretty quick.

Sure with a giraffe like frame you don’t need to change the cranks at all. You just need a strong enough chain to make the wheel rotate, and possible strong muscles.
Alternately you can wear stilts. These are close to the right size. Then with some short cranks you will go wickedly fast. I do recommend a seat, because with the speed of the rolling wheel, it will burn your crotch like hell.

4 Likes

Ohhh… I didn’t mention, the wheel is quite wide too. Feels like i need a hunirex stance haha

1 Like

I feel what you’re going through - I’m 66. I’ve been working on my freemount for maybe 6 months. Only now do I feel fairly confident with it. I started practicing the standard 3 & 9 o’clock mount. Sometimes my jump would have enough momentum to get moving forward, but usually I was up on the two pedals and not moving. What really helped me was to land on the pedals and instantly pedal backwards maybe 1/4 or 1/8 rev, and then go forward. I also set the pedals at 4 & 10 o’clock instead of 3 & 9.

That sort of makes sense - pedal slightly backward so that you’re tilted forward & set to go. Otherwise, if you’re vertical, pedalling forward will make you fall backward.

Instead of setting your pedals at 4 and 10, try setting them at 2 and 8 and as you’re mounting, roll forward just a little bit. The little bit of momentum that is imparted to the wheel will help counteract the rollback. I have found that the bigger the wheel the more effective this seems to be. On a 19" unicycle there just isn’t enough momentum to stop a roll back, while on a 36er you can step up with all your weight. On a small unicycle however the jump up onto the pedals is a small one.

If I’m trying to mount on an uphill I’ll turn this into a full on rolling mount, but I’ll only start with the pedals at around 7/1. Learning to idle does wonders for your rollback mounts. Once you can idle a rollback mount becomes easy.