Need a portable tire pump

I would like to hear any recommendations for a small tire pump I could carry in my backpack.
I apparantly have a very slow leak in my uni tire and it’s a long walk to the petrol station to pump it up.
I would like something I can use on my bicycle as well as that is my primary mode of transportation.
I have been looking at the Serfas Big Stick but would like to hear what others are using.

Cheers

On my bike, I have a Zefal Micro, it’s super small and super light and can inflate 5 or 6 bars no problem. It comes with a strap that you can use to clip it on the bike or on the seat post.
Don’t know if you can source it in your country.

Let’s pump Baby

My favorit pump for all jobs and wheels. Expensiv but excellent.
LEZYNE Micro Floor Drive

Best regards
Hardy

I had a cheap plastic one that was about 8 inches long but just last week bought a new one that would fit easily in my waist pack:

http://www.lezyne.com/en/products/hand-pumps/high-pressure#!sport-drive-hp

I like it a lot, particularly the small hose that comes out of the body. This makes it easier to get the cap on, especially when it may not be pointing straight, and puts less pressure on the valve stem. It’s a great size, light, and does a decent job putting air in the tube.

I have something almost exactly like it branded as “Planet Bike” - works well on the trail or at the trailhead/car but I have a bigger electric pump in the garage for kids bikes, car tires etc. After a few years, it still does the job.

I use the Lezyne Alloy Drive M (128g). I love this pump! So much so I bought a second to have on my commuter bike. It is lightweight, packs easily, it has a nice little ~5-6" flexible hose that gives you some wiggle/play when pumping (so you don’t transmit shearing forces to the valve stem). Also important for me is that it is both schrader and presta valve compatible.

It has worked great on the trail and I have also packed it for multiple out-of-state trips with my road 29er (afraid the TSA won’t like CO2 cartridges). I’m able to inflate to 55-50 psi with this pump (it is a workout though!). I can’t comment about the other pumps recommended by other posters but I remain stoked my LBS recommended this one to me. Price when I bought it was $52.49 USD, I’m sure you can get cheaper but I like to support my LBS.

The Lezyne pumps seem to have the most solid, reliable design. They were endorsed by none other than Kris Holm in Moab, who borrowed mine because he had a slow leak and a pump that didn’t work well. When he got into town he went to a bike store and bought one.

The small ones take a while to blow up a MUni tire but you know they’ll work every time.

I use two pumps in my rides and one at home.

Oldest one I ever bought is BBB BMP-15 WindRush Mini Pump. This small, light and good pump. Pumping tires really fast and quite comfy to hold while pumping. Very good for bike tires as 26x2.35. No gauge.

Second one is Topeak Morph Turbo Mini Pump. I little bit bigger and more powerful then BBB pump - still perfectly fit my Deuter 6L backpack. With gauge. With hose - which is more comfortable to use. Can stand on the ground during pumping. Very good for 29 tires.

For home usage it is Topeak Joe Blow Max II Track Pump. Very nice and very powerful. Low cost high volume :slight_smile:
Not really good for carrying during rides… Just in case you will need big pump.

I opted for
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005UZNT08/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
as the shipping was only a little over $10 USD to AUS. Since the exchange rate is pretty good at the moment it made the most sense.

Thanks for all the suggestions. I love having a place where I can come with these type of questions.

Cheers

That’s exactly the same pump i am using, really like it.

Greetings

Byc

A second vote for the Topeak Morph Turbo:

Aside from the addition of a gauge, the design is little changed from the one I’ve been carrying for 10 years or more. It slips into the back of my Camelbak, fits Presta and Shraeder, and acts like a small floor pump. This matters a lot when pumping up larger tires, like fat MUni tires or 36" tires.

Only drawback for me is that you have to dismantle the pump head to switch from one valve type to the other. It seems I have to switch it every time I use it. Last time was for Jamey Mossengren, toward the end of his marathon 40-mile loop of the Porcupine Rim at Moab. :slight_smile:

May be something changed, but it takes about 30 seconds to swap - unscrew cap, take out rubber sealing and plastic tip (secret move is to pull lever up - rubber and tip will pop up for easy grab), turn and screw cap back. Done even in gloves.