Need a good glue.

I’m trying to glue foam to metal under my seat. I have tried a few different types of glue (just generic stuff mostly), silicon sealant and rubber cement. None of them had any success in staying power. SuperGlue is probably my next product to try out. But are their any sugestions on a good glue out there.

Mike

What about double-stick carpet tape (carpet tape that is sticky on both sides)? Depending on what type of foam you’re using the tape might work.

Look at an outdoors or canoe/kayak store. I’ve glued closed cell foam to the bottom of an aluminum canoe as knee protectors. Its sort of like really good rubber cement. Put it on both surfaces, let each dry, stick glued surfaces together.

Also, I’ve adhered indoor/outdoor carpet to an aluminum jon boat using indoor/outdoor carpet glue. It stayed stuck for 8 yrs (until I ripped it out). More goopy. Works well.

Super glue won’t work on porous surfaces. There is no better adhesive for what you’re trying to do than “Shoe Goo” or one of its many equivalents. One I can think of is “Sportsman’s Friend”. This is the same stuff that Memphis Mud is referring to.

Re: Need a good glue.

In article <Checkernuts.g3oam@timelimit.unicyclist.com>,
Checkernuts <Checkernuts.g3oam@timelimit.unicyclist.com> writes:
>
> I’m trying to glue foam to metal under my seat. I have tried a few
> different types of glue (just generic stuff mostly), silicon sealant
> and rubber cement. None of them had any success in staying power.
> SuperGlue is probably my next product to try out. But are their any
> sugestions on a good glue out there.
>

Now that you’ve contaminated the surfaces with silicone, nothing
will stick worth a darn. You really have to get rid of that
stuff.

============================================================
Gardner Buchanan <gbuchana@rogers.com>
Ottawa, ON FreeBSD: Where you want to go. Today.

yah, the silicon will make it hard… but whenever I need to glue anything (permanently mind you) to a seat I use some high strength epoxy. I buy the stuff in the red tube… but i don’t know how other brands compare. Just buy some really powerful stuff.

Superglue is not to be sniffed at and will always have its adherents.

I know I’m stuck on it.

(somebody had to say it.)

Yeah! A subject that I know something about.

In whitewater kayaking we are always glueing minicell foam all over the inside of a kayak, be it the bulkhead, seat, thigh braces, pillers, inside plastic, you name it. Works great on neoprene clothing too.

The contact cement you get at kayak shops is great, but kinda expensive for a small can. I usually get a can at hardward stores. Lots cheaper and comes in bigger cans if you wish.

It will not come apart when wet and will flex if needed. Might want to rough up the surfaces first.