Need a 2nd (or 3rd) opinion.

You guys probably get way to many people asking questions like this, but I’m going to anyways. “What first unicycle is right for me?” I’ve read lots of stuff on websites that tells me all about it, but I’d just like to get some live opinions before I go down to the cycle shop. I live in the country so, as it turns out my learning area will be grass, dirt, and gravel roads, all of which have some slopes, I do have a small cement patio, though that I could start learning on. This may be a difficult way to learn, but I tend to be farely determined. I’m about 5’11" and am 15, I’ll probably reach 6’1-6’2 in the next few years. I’d like to be able go a reasonable speed, so I’m thinkin’ 22" maybe 24" wheel size, does that sound right? I want to get a quality unicycle, so I’ll spend about $200. Could anybody give me a suggestion of a brand at the very least, maybe even an exact moddle, anything would be great. I’m just so confused with all the choices out there. :thinking:

Thank you so much for your help!
asupercoolguy

this is supposed to be a good one
http://www.unicycle.com/shopping/shopexd.asp?id=675
edit oh ya and there’s no such thing as a 22" wheel:D

the black torker is a very good starter. It wont last you too long though once your skills begin to improve. so save the money that you dont spend on it toward your next uni.

-sam

I think that that is probably your best bet.

I Say Black Torker Unistar 20"

Of course, a 20" is easier to learn on, but i had little problem learning on my 24" Torker. Mine has held up pretty nicely so far. I’m saving up for a good trials uni right now.

Cheap is one of it’s better points. very much cheaper than other Unis. So if you really kinda get into it and find you don’t like it you aren’t out alot of cash. But Unicycleing is so hard to learn and addicting that you really kinda want to keep going at it so keep that in mind. You get what you pay for.

I really honestly think that the Torker Uni is best. Whether 20" or 24" is totally up to you.

I Would make a poll about it!:wink: :smiley:

Re: Need a 2nd (or 3rd) opinion.

“asupercoolguy” <asupercoolguy.qa5td@timelimit.unicyclist.com> wrote in
message news:asupercoolguy.qa5td@timelimit.unicyclist.com
>
> You guys probably get way to many people asking questions like this, but
> I’m going to anyways. “What first unicycle is right for me?”

I’m new to this also so take this with a small grain of salt. First do a
bit more reading. There are “which uni is right for me” articles on almost
any unicycle web site.

You’ve got basically two wheel sizes to pick from. Either a 20" or a 24".
I don’t think the learning time is significantly different. From what I’ve
read 20" are preferred by folks that spend more time freestyling or doing
tricks. Maybe more appropriate first uni for smaller kids. 24"ers are more
suited to folks that want to go from point A to point B but are also fine
for most freestyling and tricks. Maybe more appropriate first uni for
bigger teens and adults. If you are thinking along the lines of getting
into any of the mountain uni stuff go with a "24. It’s the most versitile.

I’m sure one can learn on grass, gravel, or whatever but you’re probably
going to want a smooth flat level surface to start learning on. Your patio
would probably work to start but may get small fairly quickly. I’ve found
the outdoor basketball courts a great place because I can mount using the
goal pole. No rocks or other trash to cause havoc.

If your local bike shops are anything like mine you won’t find much
selection. They probably only carry one line and probably only one model.
They can special order but you might as well do that yourself from one of
the web sites you can read about elsewhere in this newsgroup.

I’m not you but after reading quite a few things in this group and other
sources I bought a 24" Torker (chrome one) and had a Viscount seat put on
it. I shopped until I found a what I thought was a good deal. Total with
shipping was around $100. I ordered online and it shipped in a few days.
Shopping by net beat one of the local bike shops that would special order
the same model by quite a bit. So far I’m happy with it. I could have
easily spent twice as much but I can’t imagine that it would have been twice
as good. It will be a while before I have the skills that I can justify any
kind of Muni or other specialized uni. By then I’ll have a much better idea
of what I need and how much I want to spend on it.

-Cubby

thank you

Thank you so much everybody! I think I’ll go with the 24" Torker, sounds really good. The advice has really cleared things up for me. If someone else has a different view that they’d like to tell me about fell free. I think I’ve made up my mind though. Thank you again!

hmm, one more thing

I just saw that there are two types of Torker unistar twenty four inchers. The chrome and the black, the chrome is $23 less than the black. Which do you guys think would be better??? Too many choices! :astonished:

Re: hmm, one more thing

The black one is better for adults. The silver one comes with a saddle that is designed for 7 year olds. The saddle is too small to be comfortable for an adult or anyone larger than your average 7 year old. If you figure in the cost of a new saddle for the silver Torker the cost advantage goes away.

The black Torker comes with decent quality components. The seat itself is good and by itself would be a $30 item. In fact there is no way that you could buy all the parts separately and for anywhere near the cost of the black Torker. Some people have even bought a black Torker just for the parts.

The one disadvantage for the black Torker is that it uses a 25.4mm seatpost diameter rather than the more standard 22.2mm seatpost diameter used on most other unicycles. This means that it is more difficult to get longer or replacement seatposts for the black Torker. Unicycle.com addresses this problem by selling a shim or sizer that allows you to fit a 22.2mm seatpost in the black frame. <http://www.unicycle.com/Shopping/shopexd.asp?id=244&gt;

The black Torker is almost a no-brainer choice for a first unicycle.

Re: Re: hmm, one more thing

that would be me :wink: and i’ll do it again when/if my svelt black handle & bumper ware out.

asupercoolguy,get the Black one,your butt will thank you dearly.

Re: Need a 2nd (or 3rd) opinion.

john_childs <john_childs.qaf2n@timelimit.unicyclist.com> wrote in message news:<john_childs.qaf2n@timelimit.unicyclist.com>…
> asupercoolguy wrote:
> > *I just saw that there are two types of Torker unistar twenty four
> > inchers. The chrome and the black, the chrome is $23 less than the
> > black. Which do you guys think would be better??? Too many
> > choices! :astonished: *
>
> The black one is better for adults. The silver one comes with a saddle
> that is designed for 7 year olds. The saddle is too small to be
> comfortable for an adult or anyone larger than your average 7 year old.
> If you figure in the cost of a new saddle for the silver Torker the cost
> advantage goes away.
>
> The black Torker comes with decent quality components. The seat itself
> is good and by itself would be a $30 item. In fact there is no way that
> you could buy all the parts separately and for anywhere near the cost of
> the black Torker. Some people have even bought a black Torker just for
> the parts.
>
> The one disadvantage for the black Torker is that it uses a 25.4mm
> seatpost diameter rather than the more standard 22.2mm seatpost diameter
> used on most other unicycles. This means that it is more difficult to
> get longer or replacement seatposts for the black Torker. Unicycle.com
> addresses this problem by selling a shim or sizer that allows you to fit
> a 22.2mm seatpost in the black frame.
> <http://www.unicycle.com/Shopping/shopexd.asp?id=244>
>

Another potential disadvantage is the black one uses the rounded fork
crown. The chrome one uses a flat crown which may make a better foot
rest for some tricks. I didn’t notice at the time I bought but the
black one comes with 48 spoke wheel. If I had I may have went with
it instead of the chrome+seat upgrade.

>
> The black Torker is almost a no-brainer choice for a first unicycle.

I would agree.

I plan to buy a 20" Black Torker for my 11 year old daughter tomorrow. Seem like a great deal to me.

I’m getting mine from Unicycle.com --chirokid–

Most of the content in the “Education” section at Unicycle.com (so far) is aimed at helping people choose what type of unicycle to start with. If you haven’t read through that, give it a look:
http://www.unicycle.com/Education.asp
Start with the “Beginner” section. This will help by giving you an idea of what’s out there and what they’re all for.

Sounds like you want a quality 24" unicycle. The Miyata Standard is only $213, and is probably the best quality “general” unicycle you can get for the price. There is also the Semcycle XL at $165, but the main difference there is the seat. Get the Miyata seat, or a Kris Holm/Velo seat as an upgrade. The only drawback with either of those cycles is their relatively narrow frames. If you want to add a fat tire, you’ll need a different one. But this type of cycle is perfect for a tall guy to learn on, and can be used for almost every type of riding there is.

Or, looking farther down the “Cruisers” page, there’s the Yuni 24" Journeyman:
http://www.unicycle.com/shopping/shopexd.asp?id=687
I’m pretty sure this frame has room for wider tires too!

Re: Re: Need a 2nd (or 3rd) opinion.

If you get in to one footed skills you can put an automotive hose clamp on the crown. See this thread for a picture.

You’ll want to put a layer of tape or plastic or rubber under the clamp so it doesn’t scratch the frame too much. And then wrap the thing with heavy duty tape so it doesn’t scratch your leg.

It’s not as good as a flat crown, but it’s a good enough solution to play around with one foot skills with a rounded crown frame.

The black Torker comes with a much better wheel than the silver Torker. The black Torker has an alloy rim which is of better quality than the steel rim on the silver Torker. The alloy rim is only a single wall rim, but it’s still much better than a crummy plain old steel rim.

This is a great place for advice, but sometimes these guys get off on tangents of “it won’t be good for this” or “it won’t be good for that”. This is all valuable info, but if you really don’t know if your going to get into more advanced types of riding later…or if you don’t know WHICH types of advanced riding you’ll be getting into, this could all seem like a bunch of confusing stuff.

My recomendation for best beginner unicycle would also be the Black Torker (Stealth Torker) 24". It’s great to learn on, its very strong for its price point, and it is useable for experimenting with any of the advanced types of riding. If you do get into any specialized riding, you will soon need to buy a new unicycle specifically suited to that style.

If your interested, do some reading on Freestyle, Trials Unicycling, Muni, and Distance Riding (ie Coker). Then all the other advice here might make more sense. If you KNOW you want to get into one of these specialty areas, you can focus on that when choosing your first uni, and we can advise you then. But if you just want to learn unicycling and you might want to taste some of the other styles, the Stealth Torker is a great gateway.