Neck muscle pain and stiffness

Has anyone else suffered pain and stiffness in the muscles of the neck and around it following unicycling? How can I prevent it? How do I treat it?

Only the one time that I landed on my head following a downhill run at the local toboggan hill.

What kind of riding are you doing? Are you riding bent over and looking up?

I have pain and stiffness in my neck all the time. That’s why I ride a unicycle.:wink:

Things I do. Shoulder shrugs with weights. Stretch (Yoga things like face of cow; cobra, etc) the neck, shoulders, and back. Google some ideas.

Sounds like you need to make a conscience effort to relax those muscles involved while you are riding.

I have pain and stiffness in my neck all the time. That’s why I ride a unicycle.:wink: It good therapy for my neck.

Things I do. Shoulder shrugs with weights. Stretch (Yoga things like face of cow; cobra, etc) the neck, shoulders, and back. Google some ideas.

Sounds like you need to make a conscience effort to relax those muscles involved while you are riding.

Take some ibuprofen (or naprosyn) both before and after you ride (unless you have medical contraindications like stomach ulcers, etc.). They are anti-inflammatory medications. Many athletes do this to prevent/minimize soreness after a workout. Works well for me.

Maybe it’s true that I ride a little bent over fearing a fall backwards perhaps. Next time I ride, I’ll try to check and be more relaxed.

But this time, I suffered the more serious neck pain after having a UPD in which I landed on my hands quite harshly. But in general I suffer some stiffness in my neck after riding. Maybe sitting at the computer also has something to do with it.

It doesn’t seem like a good idea to preemptively dose one’s self.

These are both over the counter medications with good safety records when taken in prescribed doses (prescription strength is typically two to four times higher).

Any medication, supplement, herb, etc. can cause side effects and may not be safe for persons with chronic health conditions. The labels will indicate so, so read it before you take it. No drug is 100% safe, but for most people benefit > risk. Both drugs have long safety records over decades. Over the counter prescription drugs, like ibuprofen (Motrin, Advil, etc.) are much more carefully reviewed for safety than herbs and supplements, which have a very low standards and manufacturers can claim nearly anything without proof. Side effects of over the counter medications, like the one quoted on wikipedia, typically occur when people go outside the range of prescribed or over the counter doses or use it when its used by people who have medical contraindications.

For what it’s worth, I’m a prescribing healthcare professional, but then you should be extremely weary of getting advice on health from the internet (especially from someone who claims to be a prescribing healthcare professional). That said, at the doses on the label, ibuprofen and naprosyn are generally very safe when used before and after a unicycle ride if you anticipate soreness (e.g., a particularly long ride, learning new stuff where your muscles aren’t used to the strain). Of course, other non-pharmacologic interventions mentioned above are preferable or complement pharmacologic interventions.

Yes.

Don’t get hit by a car.

If you’ve been hit by a car, see a doctor.